The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman in vegetative state for 14 years gives birth

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

You beat me to it by a minute!  :lol:

I actually read it last night but was like I'll do it tomorrow, then due to some glitch on the NHL app I can't get into the message board anymore on my phone, so just got on the laptop and did it and saw your name at the bottom too and thought you may of seen it then too :lol:

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I actually read it last night but was like I'll do it tomorrow, then due to some glitch on the NHL app I can't get into the message board anymore on my phone, so just got on the laptop and did it and saw your name at the bottom too and thought you may of seen it then too :lol:

Like I said in my post, this is not likely to turn out well.  We could watch this one go all the way to the US Supreme Court.  The judge who is allowing this is taking chances with his job.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Like I said in my post, this is not likely to turn out well.  We could watch this one go all the way to the US Supreme Court.  The judge who is allowing this is taking chances with his job.

Personally I just don't see it that way, the circumstances surrounding this situation are differen't imo then other cases. Why I say this is because this happened in a company owned private property place, not just in a random car or lane where you can't just go and DNA test every living person around, that you can't do. The fact that this happened on the companies property and in their care, not anywhere else I believe the police should have the right to do DNA tests all male employees 100%

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Personally I just don't see it that way, the circumstances surrounding this situation are differen't imo then other cases. Why I say this is because this happened in a company owned private property place, not just in a random car or lane where you can't just go and DNA test every living person around, that you can't do. The fact that this happened on the companies property and in their care, not anywhere else I believe the police should have the right to do DNA tests all male employees 100%

It may make it's way through the Arizona court system, but the US Constitution doesn't make exceptions for workers at private companies.  It regulates what legally can and can't be done.  The Supreme Court has frowned on fishing expeditions in the past. 

On 1/5/2019 at 11:24 AM, mpt said:

Here’s another question, how negligent is the staff not to notice a pregnant woman?

What if the female patient died due to complications from the pregnancy?  Would the rapist be charged with rape and murder?  This is just one of those stories you never want to read.  My God that rapist should be put down.  

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It may make it's way through the Arizona court system, but the US Constitution doesn't make exceptions for workers at private companies.  It regulates what legally can and can't be done.  The Supreme Court has frowned on fishing expeditions in the past. 

The ones who volunteer will probably do so to clear their name, but the ones who don't will just help the police narrow their search in the end.

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The ones who volunteer will probably do so to clear their name, but the ones who don't will just help the police narrow their search in the end.

That's exactly why the cops are doing it.  To be honest, even though I think it's likely the Supreme Court would overturn a conviction if the only evidence against the person was DNA, I also think there's a real chance that they'll stupidly open the floodgates and allow these kind of searches. 

That court has been chipping away at the 4th amendment for the last decade and they may just decide to weaken it to the point of all but making it invalid.

That's exactly why the cops are doing it.  To be honest, even though I think it's likely the Supreme Court would overturn a conviction if the only evidence against the person was DNA, I also think there's a real chance that they'll stupidly open the floodgates and allow these kind of searches. 

That court has been chipping away at the 4th amendment for the last decade and they may just decide to weaken it to the point of all but making it invalid.

Not sure if you saw but the CEO stepped down, he got scared and ran away, so now who ever is in control is probably just complying with everything to hopefully get to the bottom of it as quickly as possible and hopefully move on.

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Not sure if you saw but the CEO stepped down, he got scared and ran away, so now who ever is in control is probably just complying with everything to hopefully get to the bottom of it as quickly as possible and hopefully move on.

That's corporate speak for "he was fired".  Even CEO's have one or more bosses, usually in the form of a board of directors.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's corporate speak for "he was fired".  Even CEO's have one or more bosses, usually in the form of a board of directors.

True could easily be the case as well.

Just read this on another site.

On Tuesday, January 8th, investigators served Hacienda Healthcare with a search warrant for DNA samples from all of its male employees in hopes of finding out who is responsible for the woman’s rape and pregnancy. In a statement, the facility said this latest step by law enforcement is a “welcome development” in the investigation.

The facility definitely isn't worried at all for allowing the police to do this and I for one am happy to hear this!

14 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Bigger question is why is this woman even around still despite being in a vegetative state after 14 years. She's gone. Let go.

Vegetative state doesn't mean brain dead.  Technically her brain still functions, that's why she could feel the pain of the birth and moaned.

There's next to no chance that she'll ever wake up, but as long as she can breath on her own, they can't just kill her.

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

True could easily be the case as well.

Just read this on another site.

On Tuesday, January 8th, investigators served Hacienda Healthcare with a search warrant for DNA samples from all of its male employees in hopes of finding out who is responsible for the woman’s rape and pregnancy. In a statement, the facility said this latest step by law enforcement is a “welcome development” in the investigation.

The facility definitely isn't worried at all for allowing the police to do this and I for one am happy to hear this!

They asked if they could do it themselves initially.

I'm not happy that it's being done because I know where the case is likely to end up, as does Arizona, and if they beat the odds and the US Supreme Court upholds this kind of search, the police will most definitely abuse it in the future.

They asked if they could do it themselves initially.

I'm not happy that it's being done because I know where the case is likely to end up, as does Arizona, and if they beat the odds and uphold this kind of search, the police will most definitely abuse it in the future.

I'm glad the police are doing it and not the facility, that could raise eyebrows if no one was found, and would just create more problems probably. If it's all about putting a proper criminal behind bars I'm all for it.

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm glad the police are doing it and not the facility, that could raise eyebrows if no one was found, and would just create more problems probably.

That's one of the reasons the cops told them no.

If it's all about putting a proper criminal behind bars I'm all for it.

Not me.  It puts one scumbag behind bars but has the potential, no matter if it's only a 20%-30% chance, to open Pandora's Box a few years down the road if the Supreme Court gets it's hands on the case.

1 hour ago, Zach Parise said:

to the person who did this 

BlaringHonoredItaliangreyhound-small.gif

It actually reminds me of the old joke about two necrophiliacs walking past the morgue....

...one looks over at his buddy and says "Hey, you wanna pop in for a couple of cold ones?"

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

What if the female patient died due to complications from the pregnancy?  Would the rapist be charged with rape and murder?  This is just one of those stories you never want to read.  My God that rapist should be put down.  

I wouldn’t say so, but the staff should’ve been found negligent causing death for not knowing she was pregnant

On 1/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I think the evidence that a baby was born is enough evidence to allow them to issue DNA tests to all male employees in the last year there since that's the only place she has been in the last 14 years. She wasn't transferred or moved to different locations, since that's the only place she has been and the fact she couldn't even give consent to allow it, I believe it gives the police the right to do this in their investigation.

I would not count on that.

Did you hear about the right to die case where the patient, also in a vegitative state was offered a spoon to their lips and when the mouth opened it "proved" the desire to live. I think there is a story or legal case called the spoon.

You never know, maybe this "couple" has been having a relationship for a long time, maybe the father comes forward and offers to marry her...

Archived