The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Score article - Canuck draft pick Madden (top 5 WJHC player)

grandmaster

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

well we all kinda should know by now

that in the world of 3d chess drafting

all benning/brackett/et al picks are only high first rounders

does not matter how it appears to us low level thinkers :P

Regardless of round, I think that Benning is drafting players who have to potential to become top 6 (or top 9).  So in the 3rd round and later, he is taking long shots like Madden and Gaudette. 

Why?  

Because top 6 are hard to find and bottom 6 are easy to find in free agency and by trade.....even waivers.  So why waste picks on potential 4th liners?

1 hour ago, AV's Coin said:

Yes and were not some other teams at the draft trying to trade for our pick we used to draft madden but we held firm and got our guy

Chicago = Bowman was notably/visibly pissed when Benning got Madden (had the next pick).

14 hours ago, stawns said:

From shift one of the tournament he has been, in my opinion, the American's MVP.  He has as good a 200 ft game as anyone in the tournament, and he made it seem like he was the first round pick and Wahlstrom the third rounder.

Nice to see since I do not watch NCAA. His WJC is a continuation of his NCAA season. If he had been any bigger we would not have got him in the draft.

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Maybe.  Gaudette had two goals and an assist tonight- that’s seven points in six games with Utica.

Its not Gaudette that needs to look over his shoulder, its Sutter. Madden is the successor to Sutter in that role.

Gaudette looks like he will come in and play well no matter where they slot him. Maybe Gaudette could play on wing with Bo.

The nice thing is we have some players coming that can play.

17 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I like the job brackett has done but a scout and a GM are completely different 

I often wonder how many non hockey functions a GM does? 

Reviewing operating budgets? Travel schedules? Which staff report to him? Do these staff call in sick or show up late to work? Does his printer ever run out of ink?

21 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i know people on cdc really like brackett a lot (i think he gets too much credit from many,)

but he is still a product of the canucks scouting system and department
put in place and developed under jb leadership

he has no gm experience at all

jb was asst gm prior to his hire and many still think he is more of a top scout then gm

not sure how brackett can be gm material any time soon

Never heard of him

40 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

His father wasn't big but very effective player. 

John Madden 5'11" 190 (listed) former Selke winner with New Jersey 2001, 3 Stanley Cup rings......smaller than average but big enough clearly.....pretty good pedigree......Tyler hopefully a late bloomer physically.......scouts look at the parents to give an idea of the kids mature height/weight

50 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

John Madden 5'11" 190 (listed) former Selke winner with New Jersey 2001, 3 Stanley Cup rings......smaller than average but big enough clearly.....pretty good pedigree......Tyler hopefully a late bloomer physically.......scouts look at the parents to give an idea of the kids mature height/weight

5’11” 185 was average during most of Madden’s career.

12 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Its not Gaudette that needs to look over his shoulder, its Sutter. Madden is the successor to Sutter in that role.

Gaudette looks like he will come in and play well no matter where they slot him. Maybe Gaudette could play on wing with Bo.

Yeah it seems like the tentative Gaudette is slowly dying and the confident Gaudette will come with a BoHo quality of game more he's been trying to get his defensive game get there first and then go back and add the scoring touch which can be lethal. 

Horvat didn't there over night either but in my mind we'll have two 2nd line quality centers when all is said and done which is just a matter of Gaudette playing a 200 ft game garnished with what got him the hobey baker on a consistent basis with 2 quality wingers?  Yes please! Madden being one? Maybe... give it at least a year or 2 but probably 2 unless he gains 25 pounds this summer and has a lights out year, meh who knows hey?

And Madden and QH had some great chemistry on the US power play - always seemed to find each other with a pas thru/over sticks.

In Utica, Gaudette was today centering a line with JD and Pyatt, building up some good chemistry with Dahlen (maybe Cull has been instructed to do this?)

Gaunce played mostly with Lind, and again, chemistry was obvious

22 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I still see Gaudette as the eventual 3C on a CUP contender with an ability to float up if needed. Madden hopefully can be a solid 4C with the same ability to move up if needed. Way to early to forecast Madden. What I have seen of Gaudette makes me more comfortable that he is a NHL player and has a big upside from what we have seen to date. Another Benning home run IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I still see Gaudette as the eventual 3C on a CUP contender with an ability to float up if needed. Madden hopefully can be a solid 4C with the same ability to move up if needed. Way to early to forecast Madden. What I have seen of Gaudette makes me more comfortable that he is a NHL player and has a big upside from what we have seen to date. Another Benning home run IMO. 

I cant disagree but where the player slots in remains to be seen. Just because they were drafted as a center doesn't mean they have to play there. Its good to have players that can play in either spot.Wing or Center

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I cant disagree but where the player slots in remains to be seen. Just because they were drafted as a center doesn't mean they have to play there. Its good to have players that can play in either spot.Wing or Center

For sure! The nice thing about Gaudette's time in Van was he got exposed to C and the wing. I lean on his 3C simply because that is where he is coming from and because there is an opportunity there. No doubt being on the wing is a easier transition. I highly doubt he bumps Bo or Petey so if he plays top 6 it will be as a winger. Also like that Green gave him some PP time.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think TM is more suited to a top 6 role than 4th line.  

When one looks at Johnny Gaudreau's 165 lbs or even the retired Martin St. Louis, one shouldn't have to worry. Not every player with the stereotypical "undersized" body frame turns out to be like Jordan Schroeder.

Go glad that we have this guy. Madden will be a "big" additional piece to our group of forwards.

Archived