The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 36 games to go.

Tonight's game against Toronto pretty much put my tracks back on my tank...let explain why

IMO, Toronto's defence is terrible, with only having 1 player (Reilly) that is worthy of a cup run, not only that but they started a back up to the back up, and shut us out...…..think about that!

We could not generate enough Offense to dent the Toronto defence, and could not score on a AHL goalie 

So that tells me, that their offense is so powerful, we could not gain any momentum, nor good scoring opportunities

We will face better, and "IF" having Pettersson evens the table out, and we are more competitive, I am good with that opinion

But the reality is, we will need of better support players for Pettersson, we will need more Offensive drivers, to spread out the pressure

My thought is that when we see Pettersson control the ice, we seem to do fine, and as soon as he is gone, we are not good enough

He is intoxicating, and we get caught up in his magic...…….it is over whelming, and for good reason...…...and he gives us that change to win, every night.

But, he will get injured, and he will get tired, and he will have bad games...…...and when he does...…..we have very little push back

He changes the whole Dynamic, and makes us a winner....but again, he will miss games, and we will not be anywhere near as good

That to me means we are not ready to challenge for a playoff spot, not because we can not challenge, but because we need to complete our rebuild

Tonight, a kid goes around Pouliot like a hoop around a barrel, in his first game.....and scores......brutal 

There were just so many things wrong with this game......

We need to be in position to draft a good hockey player, a top end, bonafied "driver", so that when we are missing a key cog, we don't do the "worm"

We are so close, yet we are not complete....

Note that Tanev and Edler's plus minus were even

Hutton -4 and Gudbranson -5, are not second pairing defensemen, but would be fine 3rd pairing defensemen

Poo-a-lot...….is just $&!#ty (Pardon the pun) 

Let us, move who we can, and gather picks and be ready for the draft, and the summer, when we could possibly get real help.

We have lots of help coming, in the form of Hughes, Juolevi, Gaudette, Madden,, but none will make a he impact next year...……..

We need to continue our rebuild, we need another "Driver"

You get those in the Draft...……..

We are currently running as the 23rd best team, leaving only 8 below us, and 2 games below 500

Could we get better this year? Yes

Should we get better this year? No. Take a knee, and develop, develop, develop......

Yes, let see Demko, and let's see Brisebois, Saunter and Juolevi

Let's see Dahlen up for a game or 2, and McEwen...….give them a taste, and let them know, how much they have to grow...…. to get here

Can you guys not take 36 more games, doing that?????? I can...………...and I would still love them! And watch them.....and we won't be much if any weaker for it.

Team tank will probably get their way when teams turn it up last 1/3rd of the season, while Canucks lose some steam. 

Probably a 5-10 pick though at best... I'd rather them experience a round of playoffs - so keep grinding out those W's boys!!

We went 3-3 on the road trip. We dominated New Jersey just couldn’t get a bounce. Montreal was the 2nd of a back to back (played most of the game without Pettersson), and Toronto was the last game, also played without Pettersson. We’re still one point out of a playoff spot so don’t tell me the tank is back on.

If Petersson was injured for an extended period of time I’d be all in on team tank but we still have a decent shot at playoffs. That being said if there’s a deal to move Baer/Sutter/Goldy/Granlund/Loui/Pouliot/Del Zotto out for picks/assets I would pull the trigger. 

I would rather see us make some moves to add some established players with size who can make us a contender next season. A high draft prospect will still take a couple seasons to develop. 

Here is my proposal to fix this team for next season with some players who might be available for the right price. 

- Sutter, Goldobin, 2020 1st, for Ferland 

- Tanev, Lind, 2020 2nd for Hamilton 

- Eriksson salary retained, Gaudette 2019 2nd & 6th for Kevin Hayes  (hate to trade gaudette but Madden might have higher ceiling and I think NYR want good prospects) 

- Sign Mark Stone 

These additions will make us built for playoff hockey. It will give our superstar Pettersson a chance to see what he can do with the right pieces around him. Everyone on the team will play bigger with all these bigger bodies. 

Ferland Petey Brock (Ferland gets to rack up points while providing back up services)

Baertchi Horvat Stone (stone adds size and skill) 

Leivo Hayes Virtanen (hayes adds size and skill)

Roussel Beagle Motte 

Edler Stetcher 

Hughes Hamilton (hamilton adds size and skill) 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Juolevi Biega 

Markstrom 

Demko 

Stone- 26 years old 6'4 219 pounds

Ferland - 26 years old 6'2 208 pounds, huge hitter, wins fights, most guys in the league would think twice before fighting him. 

Hamilton - 25 years old 6'6 210 pounds, scores goals from point 

Hayes - 26 years old 6'5 216 pounds, 20 goal scorer 

^^ I like your line up but I wonder if Hamilton and ferland would be the right pieces. Ferland is good however I believe he is going to be asking to much money. Hamilton isn’t that good yes he can score ( not doing that this year yet) but he is soft as butter and when he is pressed disappears 

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] 36 games to go.

Canucks still need some high end draft picks that hopefully pan out. This deadline we could make a huge change to our team if JB makes a bold move and tries to move Edler and Tanev.

Yes edler has a NTC- Sign him July 1 to return to the team. Moving him at the TDL we get a 1st back maybe with a + added 

Tanev- Great guy, good defensive D, if we can move him for a 1st plus or a good prospect rhd we should make the move.

Moving both D hurts our team for the rest of this year. But they are our best trade assets and both have played well this year and are still both healthy. 

It is a BOLD move for JB to move both, but imo it gives us some decent assets back if we move them that can help us going forward more than by just keeping both. Our D is no good and needs an overhaul.

One last BOLD move by JB would be to go after Karlsson if he makes it to July 1

Edler Karlsson

Hutton Stecher- Maybe we can make an upgrade to the 2nd pair some how in the off season

Hughes Gudbranson- start hughes off slow, let him get PP time

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Canucks still need some high end draft picks that hopefully pan out. This deadline we could make a huge change to our team if JB makes a bold move and tries to move Edler and Tanev.

Yes edler has a NTC- Sign him July 1 to return to the team. Moving him at the TDL we get a 1st back maybe with a + added 

Tanev- Great guy, good defensive D, if we can move him for a 1st plus or a good prospect rhd we should make the move.

Moving both D hurts our team for the rest of this year. But they are our best trade assets and both have played well this year and are still both healthy. 

It is a BOLD move for JB to move both, but imo it gives us some decent assets back if we move them that can help us going forward more than by just keeping both. Our D is no good and needs an overhaul.

One last BOLD move by JB would be to go after Karlsson if he makes it to July 1

Edler Karlsson

Hutton Stecher- Maybe we can make an upgrade to the 2nd pair some how in the off season

Hughes Gudbranson- start hughes off slow, let him get PP time

I think we will for sure make a pitch for Karlsson.

eapecially showing flashes of what we can be this year and our biggest need is RIGHT SIDE PMD DMAN and we have always needed a #1.

we have a great history with Swedes and here’s my projected lineup if we got him.

Edler-Karlsson

Hughes-Tanev/Gudbranson

Hutton-Gudbranson/Tanev

Pouliot-Stecher

Biega

PP1

Horvat

Baerstchi

EP40

Boeser

Karlsson

Karlsson and Edler would be good partners imo. Edler could comfortably be a #2 horse signed on a cap friendly deal and play out his days with us which I’m sure is what he wants most.

Karlsson improves our backend so much it’s crazy. Also shelters Hughes in his first year. Allows him to learn from all seasoned NHL dman and have Tanev or Gudbranson as a partner which both would be great for him for different reasons. Karlsson would be the ultimate role model for Hughes.

why would Karlsson come here? 

1. We have the cap to do it

2. Vancouver is a great city to live in

3. Swedish players think highly of playing in Vancouver

4. He would be our #1 dman and the fit would be perfect

5. We have the Swedish Gretzky, what an exciting opportunity to play with him

6. We are on the upswing of our rebuild and have accumulated a lot of prospect depth 

7. We could push for playoffs ASAP with him 

8. Because I dreamed it to be true.. VISIONS

who knows right now but honestly he would look really good in our group next season and would change our team drastically. 

We need to keep working on our team speed and compete levels. We have too many players that cannot beat other players in a foot race or win board battles... Granlund, Baetschi, Goldobin, Pouliot, Ericksson... All poor skaters and weak on the boards... I'd even include Sutter but he can win draws and PK at least. All becomes more apparent when we are tired or unprepared. Stetcher is another on this list but he has enough smarts to make up for being small and slow with no shot... Somewhat effective otherwise.

You can see JB is working on it, guys like Roussel and Beagle he brought in, good hustle and compete. Leivo looks alright as well

I mean how many times have teams looked like they are on the power play 5 on 5 out working and skating circles around us... It's not every game but it shouldn't happen when your players are fresh and just can't keep up... JB needs to keep working the phones and moving out these players who can't compete.

Archived