The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN & CAR

I think we have to take a shot at getting Ferland from Carolina, guy has some skill (33 gp 19 points), will throw his weight around, and certainly isn't afraid to drop the gloves. He will stand up for his teammates.

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser seems good to me. 

To Carolina: Goldobin + 2nd 2019

To Van: Ferland

Do we need to add or does this get the deal done? 

That's a reasonable proposal. The Canes are likely to trade Ferland, and a 1st is his likely value as a rental, so Goldy and a 2nd is likely going to be one of the best offers they get.

An extension is going to cost north of $4m AAV per season, FYI.

I'm not so worried about the extension part as I do believe whichever team trades for him will inevitably sign him as they would have had discussions about his contract demands prior to the trade. I think if we don't trade for him we likely miss the boat on Ferland. I would be willing to bet that if JB came in the ball park of his demands and gave him a taste of playing with Pete and Boeser that Ferland would not walk UFA and sign on the dotted line. 

I, however, don't think the Canes would be tickled by Goldobin. I think the deal would have to start with Sutter and have additional moving parts to work for both sides as their Center depth is the root of why they suck. 

I hear Hamilton is also on the table as they have 4 RHD 

Something like 

To Canes: Sutter + 1st + Stetcher 

to Nux: Ferland + Hamilton

Our next game against Calgary would sure be fun. 

57 minutes ago, Bllewellyn said:

No Hamilton not a good character guy and is way to soft. 

He's a 6'6" 40-50 point D 17 goals last year and he's 25. The thought of him and Hughes on the PP together I can get past that stuff. If he was perfect we couldn't afford him.

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

He's a 6'6" 40-50 point D 17 goals last year and he's 25. The thought of him and Hughes on the PP together I can get past that stuff. If he was perfect we couldn't afford him.

Boston, Calgary and now apparently Carolina could not get past "that stuff"...........there has to be a very good reason that a player as you describe would be moving to his 4th team by age 25.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm not so worried about the extension part as I do believe whichever team trades for him will inevitably sign him as they would have had discussions about his contract demands prior to the trade. I think if we don't trade for him we likely miss the boat on Ferland. I would be willing to bet that if JB came in the ball park of his demands and gave him a taste of playing with Pete and Boeser that Ferland would not walk UFA and sign on the dotted line. 

I, however, don't think the Canes would be tickled by Goldobin. I think the deal would have to start with Sutter and have additional moving parts to work for both sides as their Center depth is the root of why they suck. 

Something like 

The Canes are mega-deep at center - Sutter is the last person they need. Jordan Staal is their 3LC, and they're not a cap team. Also, if they're trading a defenseman, they don't want another one in return - they have several options on D they want to call up and bringing in Stecher doesn't help their plan.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Something like 

I like the OP's offer.

Hamilton does not seem to stick on any of the team's he has been on. Something is going on there. I want nothing to do with him personally.

3 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

I think we have to take a shot at getting Ferland from Carolina, guy has some skill (33 gp 19 points), will throw his weight around, and certainly isn't afraid to drop the gloves. He will stand up for his teammates.

CDC tends to overrate Ferland's physical play based solely on his performance against the so called soft Canucks. He did not play the same way against some of the bigger and tougher teams. The Oilers owned the Flames during Ferland's days in Calgary, in large part, due to taking it to Calgary from a physical perspective. Ferland was as quiet as a church mouse against Edmonton and was speculated on Calgary radio stations as one of the reasons for him being dealt.

He had only 24 PIM's in 77 games last year and has had only one fight this year that he did not initiate. I am not against this trade proposal as I think he is a definite upgrade from an overall talent/physicality perspective but I just think we would need to temper the physicality expectations.

2 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

That's a reasonable proposal. The Canes are likely to trade Ferland, and a 1st is his likely value as a rental, so Goldy and a 2nd is likely going to be one of the best offers they get.

worth

6 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

I would do it if it's just north of $4 million, $5 if it's shorter term (3 years?).  While he's still young at only 26, if he's signed for too long it's tough to tell if he'd hold up health wise as to date he's missed at least 10 games each year already.  He is definitely talented though and would be nice to see some added sandpaper next to Elias.  

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

Gotta keep on mind he was traded twice... like you said big and scores a lot and was still traded TWICE.... sounds like he causes more problems than he is worth. 

My main and really only issue is that with the draft in Vancouver this year Benning is going to want/need as many draft picks as possible.  Seeing some of the potential gems he may have found in the 2nd round the last 3 years I would be very loathe to see him kick off a 2nd for a Ferland 

Would love Pesce or Slavin, to be fair we've got some good young forwards coming through, and some good puck moving defencemen but not many big strong defencemen who can play shutdown hockey. One of these young guys would slot in perfect and provide us with a solid 5-7 years of shutdown hockey alongside Juolevi and Quinn.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:27 AM, Dombrova22 said:

I've loved Ferland since he first entered the league. 

I view him as a tailor-made bodyguard for Pettersson. A tough guy with an ability to finish. 

Playing with Pettersson could be the best thing that ever happens to Ferland and vice-versa.

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser would be a lethal combination for a lot of years and I would pay a premium to make it happen.

Imo, it would take more than Goldy to get it done.

Carolina knows what they have in Ferland and his value to a lot of teams. They know he has great value and would expect a great return.

Demko, 2020 1st rounder for Ferland, Mrazek, and a 3rd rounder 2019.

Yes, losing Demko would hurt but, Carolina needs a goalie of the future. We need a violent LWer for Petey and Boeser which, imo, is more important to our team.

Marky's been solid. I would be willing to re-up him after his current deal expires.

Mrazek becomes the backup in the truest sense of the word and we, for once, do not have a goalie controversy for the foreseeable future ( unless Mrazek suddenly becomes a wall which, with our net history, wouldn't surprise me, but we'll deal with that if it comes).

I see the 2019 draft as the finishing point to our rebuild and is one where defense must, once again, be the focus. I really like Kaeden Korczak and would be willing to go a bit off the board to make sure I get him. Right now his highest ranking has him as a late first rounder. If Byram is gone by our pick (which I'm betting he will be), he'd be my next choice and I'd take him with our first. 

I'd really want to make sure I lock down this deal and am willing to sacrifice a first to do it. As I said, I see 2019 as our last draft to fill out our core. I don't see us being in the lottery for 2020 so, for me, it's an expendable pick. It does, however, seem a little too lopsided, so I'd want a mid-round pick to balance the scale a bit.

Ferland               Petey               Boeser

Roussell             Horvat

Baertschi            Sutter               Virtanen

Eriksson             Beagle

Hughes               Woo

Juolevi                Korczak

At the end of it all, it really does boil down to Demko and a first rounder for Ferland which, imo, is a great return for him and would be one that Carolina would have to look at favorably.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:31 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

We'd need to have an extension in place first since he's a UFA after this season but I like the fit. He'd be a cheaper version of Stone.

I'd trade for Ferland, even without an extension in place, if the cost was only Goldy and a second.  Once Ferland gets to play with Petey and Boes, he will want to extend.  He'd be putting up big numbers with those two.  

Archived