The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Federal Election Thread

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

No, that is not where it all goes now.

While I find this discussion interesting... this was an easy fact to find

• Canada is the fourth largest producer and fourth largest exporter of oil in the world
  • 96% of Canada’s proven oil reserves are located in the oil sands
  • 96% of Canada’s oil exports go to the U.S.
  • GHG emissions per barrel of oil produced in the oil sands have fallen 28% since 2000

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-data/data-analysis/energy-data-analysis/energy-facts/crude-oil-facts/20064 

Edited by Chicken.
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why would Saskatchewan and Manitoba agree to help out?

For money?

kind of like how  money gets redistributed around the country now?

If so what was the point of leaving?

The point on leaving was to economically make things work, not to keep subsidizing Vancouver, Quebec and the Maritimes.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're funny. You don't understand how your healthcare system works, and thats fine, a lot of people don't. 

Fear? I'd pee my pants laughing if AB actually went ahead with #wexit. 

Well I see you’re here all day. If Alberta left,  then you might have to get off your can and actually go to work. I’m sorry that the thought of that scares you.

As for healthcare it’s a very communistic system of robbing from the rich and giving to the poor that we use.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Well I see you’re here all day. If Alberta left,  then you might have to get off your can and actually go to work.

The way you see Jimmy here "all day" is to be here yourself?

Just now, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Well I see you’re here all day. If Alberta left,  then you might have to get off your can and actually go to work.

its called a phone. You can take them with you now. 

• Haha 1

Just a few questions as I read over the last few pages:

Who is subsidizing Vancouver? Can we get some data on that? Is Vancouver now a province of its own? Doesn’t BC sit at a net loss in federal spending atm?

Also it seems quite a few Albertans retire in BC and thus their pensions are considered a federal transfer to BC upping the amount received (but still at a net loss)

This is not taking a shot at Alberta and their equalization payments but to throw B.C. or Vancouver in the same category of have not provinces is not correct imo.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, gurn said:

No, that is not where it all goes now.

Yes I know. I was taking literary license. 3.5 million boe per day I believe. When Line 3 upgrade kicks in add another 800 K/day I believe. I just think it is a stretch for 

a argument that AB cannot survive as an independent country and in the same breath suggest the only reason they are paying as much into equalization is because they are so rich. Also that the oil in Alberta is owned by the people of Alberta not Canada. Same as Saskatchewan. 

Many here are condemning the poor financial management of AB. I can agree with that and that goes back to the Lougheed era. One can add the government of Canada to that list as well. Look at what happens when Albertans start talking about keeping some of their money? They are greedy grifters. 

• Hydration 1
42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you're funny. You don't understand how your healthcare system works, and thats fine, a lot of people don't. 

Fear? I'd pee my pants laughing if AB actually went ahead with #wexit. 

No kidding. If only all this impotent (and ignorant) rage would actually go somewhere! :lol:

• Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Just a few questions as I read over the last few pages:

Who is subsidizing Vancouver? Can we get some data on that? Is Vancouver now a province of its own? Doesn’t BC sit at a net loss in federal spending atm?

Also it seems quite a few Albertans retire in BC and thus their pensions are considered a federal transfer to BC upping the amount received (but still at a net loss)

This is not taking a shot at Alberta and their equalization payments but to throw B.C. or Vancouver in the same category of have not provinces is not correct imo.

Shhhhh....those facts don't suit the narrative :lol:

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Canada's PM Trudeau:Promises tax cuts, investments and housing and infrastructure

Thu 5 Dec 2019 20:37:01 GMT

Canada's Trudeau delivers thrown speech outlining his agenda

• Says he will deliver ambitious climate action
  • To take steps to introduce and implement national prescription drug coverage
  • To work to get Canadian resources to new markets. Will support workers in natural resources sectors
  • Promises tax cuts, investment in housing and infrastructure. Says will pursue responsible fiscal plan
  • Trudeau, who needs support from opposition to pass led legislation, calls for unity to pursue common goals
  • reiterates pledge for net 0 emissions by 2050
  • 1st act will be income tax cut

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/canadas-pm-trudeaupromises-tax-cuts-investments-and-housing-and-infrastructure-20191205

Apologies if this has been posted already today. I cannot be bothered to read this thread. :lol:

As you were.

Finally someone is interested in a real discussion

game of thrones drinking GIF by Sky

It will be interesting to see if the NDP votes to support the throne speech. Lots of talking points from NDP members denouncing it.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Shift-4 said:

Finally someone is interested in a real discussion

game of thrones drinking GIF by Sky

It will be interesting to see if the NDP votes to support the throne speech. Lots of talking points from NDP members denouncing it.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if they don't. Canada just went through an election campaign and I doubt anyone is particularly interested in another so soon. I'd expect their anger to be directed at whichever party (or parties) that forced it.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, I'll be surprised if they don't. Canada just went through an election campaign and I doubt anyone is particularly interested in another so soon. I'd expect their anger to be directed at whichever party (or parties) that forced it.

Lots of deflection in answers from those I heard. I was watching CTV news channel. The suggestion was there that they could vote against it because it is expected that the Bloc will vote for it. 

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They're broke.  How the heck to they expect to run an effective campaign without any money?   Political suicide.  It'll be a bit before they pay back their debt let alone buildup an election war chest. 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

As for healthcare it’s a very communistic system of robbing from the rich and giving to the poor that we use.

Yah, you make alot of sense.  The USA system for medicare makes so much more sense........     How are they doing in the USA in terms of overal health care costs and life expectancy..... ???  

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

lightbulb activated. if only it would click on for a few others now....

What rich people pay more money in  taxes..... really.....  that seems so unfair.
LOL 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • -SN- changed the title to Canadian Federal Election Thread
  • -SN- pinned this topic