The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Federal Election Thread

Ryan Strome

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

- but you never know with voters. If I had to bet, I'd expect former Progressive Conservative leader Peter McKay will win out.

I have been expecting this ever since he stepped aside

He saw the impending doom of the Conservatives under Harper and didn't want to be a part of it

No sense of entitlement here..... :picard:

Jody Wilson-Raybould is refusing to move out of her entire ministerial office suite

The Commons reserves the space for ministers. Wilson-Raybould calls the dispute 'petty.'

David Cochrane, Jorge Barrera · CBC News · Posted: Dec 12, 2019 4:00 PM ET | Last Updated: 23 minutes ago

jody-wilson-raybould-victory-speech-vanc
Jody Wilson-Raybould addresses supporters after winning the riding of Vancouver Granville as an Independent on Oct. 21, 2019. (CBC)
comments

Jody Wilson-Raybould is refusing to vacate the entire suite of Parliament Hill offices she was assigned as a cabinet minister, despite the fact that she is now an Independent MP and is no longer entitled to the space.

Wilson-Raybould and her small staff currently occupy a series of six offices equipped with a private bathroom on the fourth floor of the Confederation Building in Ottawa — a suite she was assigned when she was a minister and had a larger staff complement.

Such office suites are in short supply. The Liberals requested the use of the ministerial suite now occupied by Wilson-Raybould for one of their newly appointed ministers. Wilson-Raybould has yet to leave.

"It seems a little bit petty to me," Wilson-Raybould told CBC News. "It makes no sense to remove me from my MP office. So I don't understand why they're wanting to do it."

'I'm just trying to find a reasonable solution'

Wilson-Raybould moved into these offices in 2018 as the Centre Block was being emptied in preparation for a decade-long renovation.

She said she disagrees with the description of her offices as a "suite", saying she has the use of two adjacent MP offices without a connecting door. She said she has volunteered to give up one of them as long as she can stay in the other.

"So I'm not trying to prevent somebody from having been out in the cold without an office. I'm just trying to find a reasonable solution," she said.

Wilson-Raybould said she invited Algonquin Elder Claudette Commanda to bless the offices after her swearing-in following the October election. She said she had received no "formal notice" at that point that she was required to move out.

"They are trying to," Wilson-Raybould told CBC News when asked whether Commons administration was trying to move her out of the offices. "But my amazing elder Commanda came and cleansed my office. So I'm hopeful they'll see the appropriate thing to let me stay in my office."

Parliament Hill offices are reassigned after each election, with priority based on party standings. As an Independent, WIlson-Raybould would be among the last MPs given a chance to choose an office.

After winning the 2015 election, the Liberals allowed MPs to keep their existing offices where possible. Wilson-Raybould was allowed to stay in the ministerial suite after she resigned from cabinet during the SNC-Lavalin controversy. 

But things have changed since the election. Wilson-Raybould is a non-minister occupying what's classified as a ministerial suite, so the Liberals expect her to move out so that a cabinet member can move in.

'I dare them to even consider doing that'

Sources say Minister of Northern Affairs Dan Vandal is supposed to take over the office from Wilson-Raybould. Vandal is a Métis who represents a Winnipeg riding.

"We don't know her logic or her rationale," said a senior Liberal source.

indigenous-legislation-20191024.jpg
Cheryl Casimer speaks to the press at the provincial legislature in Victoria, Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019. (Chad Hipolito/THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Wilson-Raybould's supporters made the office dispute an issue at last week's meeting of the Assembly of First Nations.

"I heard they were going to try to boot you out of your office," said Cheryl Casimer of the First Nations Summit in B.C. during a ceremony honouring Wilson-Raybould. "I dare them to even consider doing that. That's your space, you created that space, you've earned that space. I'm glad to hear it was blessed."

House of Commons administration declined to address the issue. Instead, Heather Bradley, the director of communications for the Speaker, sent out a statement outlining the policy for assigning office space.

"There is a long established process of office allocations based on party standings. After an election, the allocation of offices starts with the government, to review their allocations and make changes as required," Bradley said in an email.

"The same process is repeated with the Official Opposition and then the third, fourth and fifth party, should one exist."

Once the recognized parties have been dealt with, Bradley said, the leftover offices are offered to Independent members based on their years of seniority in the House of Commons.

• Haha 4

Looks like some of the fine, upstanding citizens of Stoon are hoping for a white Christmas:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/group-recruiting-in-saskatoon-supports-white-supremacy-experts-say/ar-AAK5UJq?li=AAggXBV

A group that believes Canada's diversity to be its "greatest weakness" is recruiting in Saskatoon.

Posters for the group known as ID Canada have surfaced at various locations across the city and local anti-racism experts say the group's beliefs are rooted in white supremacy.

Some of the posters — many of which have been damaged — are white, red and black in colour and don the words "Defend Canada" above another line of text that reads: "Join the Fight."

The group's website boasts nine chapters across Canada and says: "We refuse to re-write history and pretend like this nation existed before European colonization. Canada is not a 'Nation of immigrants.' The Dominion of Canada was formed by Europeans."

CBC Saskatoon sent several emails to ID Canada seeking comment and also reached out to the group several times on Twitter. No response was received.

"The symbols that they use, the language that they use and the ideology that they're drawing from are all really obviously speaking to white supremacy," said Sheelah McLean, who refers to herself as a "white settler" and is a well-known academic whose work focuses on settler colonialism and racism.

McLean says it appears the group is trying to push an agenda of erasure — one that focuses on Western settlers building Canada as a nation and ignoring the country's history of slavery, colonial genocide and of the immigrants of colour who helped form Canada.

"They're erasing particular parts of our history and upholding the idea that it was only Western European settlers, or white settlers, that built Canada and we know that's not the case. That's inaccurate," she said. 

McLean said the fact the posters are present in Saskatoon is "very disconcerting" as the group is working against others who are trying to dispel misconceptions and inaccuracies about Canada's past.

"Racism, racial violence, anti-Indigenous racism, anti-black racism and Islamophobia are prevalent across Canada and it's something many people have been working to address for a very long time," she said. 

McLean said she feels groups like ID Canada are a "backlash" that happens when powerful groups are challenged about the political and social power they hold in the form of access to resources like housing, healthcare and employment. 

"Across the prairies, in particular because of our history of segregation and racial inequality, overwhelmingly white settlers have had the most social and political power," she said. "So it's not necessarily surprising that these posters would end up across the prairies."

Adding later: "What they're doing is trying to uphold hundreds of years of racial violence and racial segregation."

Ali Abukar is chief executive officer of the Saskatoon Open Door Society, which helps new Canadians get settled in Saskatoon. He said the fact the group is present in the city is concerning.

Abukar says immigrants contribute a great deal to Canada's economy and quality of life overall, saying those who share ID Canada's ideas should challenge their views. 

"This is not the first time these kinds of things have popped up," said Abukar.

However, despite the group's presence, he believes in the strength of Saskatoon as a community that has welcomed — and will continue to welcome — newcomers, pointing to Saskatchewan's motto of "Multis e gentibus vires," which translates to: "From many people's strength."

"That says a lot about different people coming together is where the strengths is," he said, noting organizations like ID Canada don't belong.

"These kinds of ideas have no place in this modern time of the world," he said. "Not only in Canada or Saskatoon, but at all." 

Abukar said while these types of groups make Saskatoon a less welcoming place, he's confident most people don't share their views.

"The people who support these types of ideas are very few and that is the good news, for all of us," he said. 

The Saskatoon Police Service said they have not received any complaints about the group in the city, noting CBC's inquiry about the posters was the first time they've heard of the group. 

Saskatchewan RCMP also said they've received no complaints about the group. 

21 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jody Wilson-Raybould is refusing to move out of her entire ministerial office suite

The Commons reserves the space for ministers. Wilson-Raybould calls the dispute 'petty.'

David Cochrane, Jorge Barrera · CBC News · Posted: Dec 12, 2019 4:00 PM ET | Last Updated: 23 minutes ago

Jody Wilson-Raybould addresses supporters after winning the riding of Vancouver Granville as an Independent on Oct. 21, 2019. (CBC)
comments

Jody Wilson-Raybould is refusing to vacate the entire suite of Parliament Hill offices she was assigned as a cabinet minister, despite the fact that she is now an Independent MP and is no longer entitled to the space.

Wilson-Raybould and her small staff currently occupy a series of six offices equipped with a private bathroom on the fourth floor of the Confederation Building in Ottawa — a suite she was assigned when she was a minister and had a larger staff complement.

Such office suites are in short supply. The Liberals requested the use of the ministerial suite now occupied by Wilson-Raybould for one of their newly appointed ministers. Wilson-Raybould has yet to leave.

"It seems a little bit petty to me," Wilson-Raybould told CBC News. "It makes no sense to remove me from my MP office. So I don't understand why they're wanting to do it."

Wilson-Raybould moved into these offices in 2018 as the Centre Block was being emptied in preparation for a decade-long renovation.

She said she disagrees with the description of her offices as a "suite", saying she has the use of two adjacent MP offices without a connecting door. She said she has volunteered to give up one of them as long as she can stay in the other.

"So I'm not trying to prevent somebody from having been out in the cold without an office. I'm just trying to find a reasonable solution," she said.

Wilson-Raybould said she invited Algonquin Elder Claudette Commanda to bless the offices after her swearing-in following the October election. She said she had received no "formal notice" at that point that she was required to move out.

"They are trying to," Wilson-Raybould told CBC News when asked whether Commons administration was trying to move her out of the offices. "But my amazing elder Commanda came and cleansed my office. So I'm hopeful they'll see the appropriate thing to let me stay in my office."

Parliament Hill offices are reassigned after each election, with priority based on party standings. As an Independent, WIlson-Raybould would be among the last MPs given a chance to choose an office.

After winning the 2015 election, the Liberals allowed MPs to keep their existing offices where possible. Wilson-Raybould was allowed to stay in the ministerial suite after she resigned from cabinet during the SNC-Lavalin controversy. 

But things have changed since the election. Wilson-Raybould is a non-minister occupying what's classified as a ministerial suite, so the Liberals expect her to move out so that a cabinet member can move in.

Sources say Minister of Northern Affairs Dan Vandal is supposed to take over the office from Wilson-Raybould. Vandal is a Métis who represents a Winnipeg riding.

Cheryl Casimer speaks to the press at the provincial legislature in Victoria, Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019. (Chad Hipolito/THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Wilson-Raybould's supporters made the office dispute an issue at last week's meeting of the Assembly of First Nations.

"I heard they were going to try to boot you out of your office," said Cheryl Casimer of the First Nations Summit in B.C. during a ceremony honouring Wilson-Raybould. "I dare them to even consider doing that. That's your space, you created that space, you've earned that space. I'm glad to hear it was blessed."

House of Commons administration declined to address the issue. Instead, Heather Bradley, the director of communications for the Speaker, sent out a statement outlining the policy for assigning office space.

"There is a long established process of office allocations based on party standings. After an election, the allocation of offices starts with the government, to review their allocations and make changes as required," Bradley said in an email.

"The same process is repeated with the Official Opposition and then the third, fourth and fifth party, should one exist."

Once the recognized parties have been dealt with, Bradley said, the leftover offices are offered to Independent members based on their years of seniority in the House of Commons.

Hater.  You don't understand she needs time to remove all the recording devices she had installed in there.  An example of extremely poor judgement by Pretty Boy giving her that cabinet post in first place. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2019 at 2:10 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

comments

Seriously lady, you're not entitled to that office, there's rules to follow you made your bed and get to lie in it.  Deal with it.  I find bringing up an elder blessing the office to be disrespectful.  They bless the space and peace within it, they do not bless it for a specific individual as we're just holding the space for the moment.

• Hydration 3

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Seriously lady, you're not entitled to that office, there's rules to follow you made your bed and get to lie in it.  Deal with it.  I find bringing up an elder blessing the office to be disrespectful.  They bless the space and peace within it, they do not bless it for a specific individual as we're just holding the space for the moment.

I thought that might be many people's reaction too. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I thought that might be many people's reaction too. 

I've been to many ceremonies.  Blessings of a person are actually rare unless a very special occasion.

Blessings of space are more frequent.

She's showing who she truly is and it puts her credibility further in to question.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

was there? I don't doubt it but I can't recall any details. Its dumb no matter who's doing it. 

All these elected officials have entitlement issues. What I laugh about is what is her end game?

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

lucky for Trudeau this all happened 10 years before he got into power. 

I didn't want to start a new thread.

You think he will get jail time?

42 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

All these elected officials have entitlement issues. What I laugh about is what is her end game?

I didn't want to start a new thread.

You think he will get jail time?

I do. He deserves it. 

My issue with the politicization of SNC isn't to let these jerks off the hook. I just hate the idea of real families getting burned for political points, or Canadian companies getting acquired by US ones. We'll see where this all goes for SNC employees, no one knows yet.

Its also bs on the part of our politicians, CPC and Lib alike. They all know what has to happen for companies to secure projects in certain parts of the world. To act like they didn't know is garbage. If they didn't want it they could all have easily blocked SNC from operating in certain countries. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

On 10/21/2019 at 8:41 PM, Warhippy said:

No...no he hasn't.  Please don't be that person.

There's literally so much information out there about this that for anyone to parrot that statement shows intentional ignorance or outright stupidity 

Something, something "outright stupidity":

https://pm.gc.ca/en/mandate-letters/minister-public-safety-and-emergency-preparedness-mandate-letter

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

So glad Canada has STRONG leadership.....

image.jpg

Your wife must get jealous with how you feel about Justin you post that same poster of him quite a bit. By the way tell me how you feel about him approving TMX? I guess everything you said in the past was a lie? I thought Alberta was getting played? I think only someone in Surry got played it had to be considering you still voted for the guy. #fake environmentalist

• -SN- changed the title to Canadian Federal Election Thread
  • -SN- pinned this topic
  • -DLC- unpinned this topic