Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Federal Election Thread


Ryan Strome
 Share

Recommended Posts

Canadian federal budget

Mon 19 Apr 2021 16:55:35 GMT

 

Budget due at 1 PST

freeland.png

Canada hasn't had a Federal budget in more than two years due to a series of emergency measures alongside covid. In that time, the deficit has soared with Canada spending more than any other G7 country per capita.
 
Finance Minister Christia Freeland's budget has mostly leaked, with the Globe and Mail saying it "includes an extension of wage and rent subsidies through to September, $100-billion of new stimulus money for housing, transit and green technology, and sets the stage for a national $10-a-day child-care program."
 
An interesting program is one that would offer SMEs a hiring incentive that would cover up to $1100 per month.
 
Housing is a preoccupation in Canada at the moment with prices up 30% year-over-year. Freeland will reportedly add $6B to a previous $1B federal program to build more housing.
 
On the demand side, there's a national tax coming to curb foreign speculation with penalties coming for vacant homes. That will be particularly closely-watched.
 
On the tax side, Reuters reports that the budget will include a sales tax for online platforms and e-commerce warehouses starting from July and a digital services tax on big web companies starting from Jan. 1, 2022.
 
The Liberals govern with a minority but the NDP has already indicated it won't spark an election over the budget.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canada budget pledges $101.4B over next three years on measures to boost recovery

Mon 19 Apr 2021 20:12:07 GMT

 

Highlights of the Canadian federal budget

Highlights of the Canadian federal budget
  • Sees deficit of $354B in 2020-21 and $155B in 21-22
  • Debt will level off around 50.6% in 2023
  • Forecasts 5.8% GDP growth in 2021, 4.0% in 2022 and 2.1% in 2023
  • Sees investment of up to $30B in national childcare system over next 5 years and then at least $8.3B annually
  • $595m to help companies hire back workers
  • Tech giants will pay 3% of revenue in taxes starting in 2022
  • Unveils 1% tax on non-resident foreign homeowners
  • Covid wage and rent subsidies extended until September
The government had earlier said $80-$100B but they're a tad above that. These numbers are enormous in a country where a $10B deficit used to be huge.
 
The big program here is national $10 childcare but it's going to take awhile to make it happen because it needs to be run and negotiated through the provinces.
 
Everything in this so far was leaked yesterday.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Canada budget pledges $101.4B over next three years on measures to boost recovery

Mon 19 Apr 2021 20:12:07 GMT

 

Highlights of the Canadian federal budget

Highlights of the Canadian federal budget
  • Sees deficit of $354B in 2020-21 and $155B in 21-22
  • Debt will level off around 50.6% in 2023
  • Forecasts 5.8% GDP growth in 2021, 4.0% in 2022 and 2.1% in 2023
  • Sees investment of up to $30B in national childcare system over next 5 years and then at least $8.3B annually
  • $595m to help companies hire back workers
  • Tech giants will pay 3% of revenue in taxes starting in 2022
  • Unveils 1% tax on non-resident foreign homeowners
  • Covid wage and rent subsidies extended until September
The government had earlier said $80-$100B but they're a tad above that. These numbers are enormous in a country where a $10B deficit used to be huge.
 
The big program here is national $10 childcare but it's going to take awhile to make it happen because it needs to be run and negotiated through the provinces.
 
Everything in this so far was leaked yesterday.

supposedly there is new money for vaccine production (https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/your-health-and-the-federal-budget-long-term-care-standards-vaccine-production-more-1.5393595)

 

Devil is in the details, I really hope we don't screw this up again and actually get this capacity back.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Canada budget pledges $101.4B over next three years on measures to boost recovery

Mon 19 Apr 2021 20:12:07 GMT

 

Highlights of the Canadian federal budget

Highlights of the Canadian federal budget
  • Sees deficit of $354B in 2020-21 and $155B in 21-22
  • Debt will level off around 50.6% in 2023
  • Forecasts 5.8% GDP growth in 2021, 4.0% in 2022 and 2.1% in 2023
  • Sees investment of up to $30B in national childcare system over next 5 years and then at least $8.3B annually
  • $595m to help companies hire back workers
  • Tech giants will pay 3% of revenue in taxes starting in 2022
  • Unveils 1% tax on non-resident foreign homeowners
  • Covid wage and rent subsidies extended until September
The government had earlier said $80-$100B but they're a tad above that. These numbers are enormous in a country where a $10B deficit used to be huge.
 
The big program here is national $10 childcare but it's going to take awhile to make it happen because it needs to be run and negotiated through the provinces.
 
Everything in this so far was leaked yesterday.

Yea because 1% is really deter chinese from dumping their money here.......

 

And yea the childcare is going to take a while, but we also know its going to be low hanging fruit for the next election.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our deficit will be TEN billion...no no a HUNDRED billion......

 

After 2017 the point was crossed where we were never ever going to be able to pay down the level of debt accrued by two parties in this country

 

At this point it's all lip service

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Yea because 1% is really deter chinese from dumping their money here.......

 

And yea the childcare is going to take a while, but we also know its going to be low hanging fruit for the next election.

universal basic income is the big gun the Liberals can bring to the next election. 

 

The childcare one may or may not happen, we'll see. When you need federal-provincial partnerships thats never a good start for a program. 

 

This budget has left the Liberals in good shape politically, there really isn't any room for the NDP or Con's to gain ground, at least not with the current leadership of the CPC in particular. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What ever happened to Trudeau's "the budget will balance itself" 

 

God I'm always pissed with the government, just piss my tax dollars away and essentially drive us into the ground. And that's for both the libs and cons, I don't give either of the morons a pass

 

Like seriously where is the magic money coming from? 

Edited by Russ
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2021 at 10:05 AM, Russ said:

What ever happened to Trudeau's "the budget will balance itself" 

 

God I'm always pissed with the government, just piss my tax dollars away and essentially drive us into the ground. And that's for both the libs and cons, I don't give either of the morons a pass

 

Like seriously where is the magic money coming from? 

Future generations are paying for it wait till gasoline isn't sold anymore and the government will have no money

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2021 at 10:05 AM, Russ said:

What ever happened to Trudeau's "the budget will balance itself" 

 

God I'm always pissed with the government, just piss my tax dollars away and essentially drive us into the ground. And that's for both the libs and cons, I don't give either of the morons a pass

 

Like seriously where is the magic money coming from? 

With over $700 billion owed before Trudeau even took office, did you think the debt was EVER getting paid down?  The only team to ever do that was Chretien/Martin and they were vilified for doing it.

 

I'm no fan of how much is being spent, but for the first time in history that I know of, a Canadian government is ACTUALLY spending money on essentially giving it back to the people so I'm not really going to complain that much knowing that previous governments screwed the people in a rush to gift corporations

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2021 at 10:05 AM, Russ said:

What ever happened to Trudeau's "the budget will balance itself" 

 

God I'm always pissed with the government, just piss my tax dollars away and essentially drive us into the ground. And that's for both the libs and cons, I don't give either of the morons a pass

 

Like seriously where is the magic money coming from? 

Totally agree. The Liberals are creating money and most people don’t see much of a downside in doing so. The history of other governments doing the same and suffering the inevitable inflation is ignored. The conservatives have no ability to explain the potential problems that will be faced by future generations. When politicians are forced to explain the debt the inevitable fall back is that the “rich” people or business will be taxed. No doubt this is an option but the conversation usually ends there. The downside risk is never explored. When will the numbers ever get dropped on the table and a serious discussion entered into?
 

The majority of people have been led thru history because it is easy to do so. It will continue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. The Liberals are creating money and most people don’t see much of a downside in doing so. The history of other governments doing the same and suffering the inevitable inflation is ignored. The conservatives have no ability to explain the potential problems that will be faced by future generations. When politicians are forced to explain the debt the inevitable fall back is that the “rich” people or business will be taxed. No doubt this is an option but the conversation usually ends there. The downside risk is never explored. When will the numbers ever get dropped on the table and a serious discussion entered into?
 

The majority of people have been led thru history because it is easy to do so. It will continue.

thats because we haven't had a fiscally focused Conservative party since the 1980s. They can't explain it because they don't have an alternative strategy.

 

I do worry about what's going to come due, long after Trudeau is out of power. We're going to see some very large scale immigration, and jobs coming from some yet unknown source. I don't think anyone really has a full plan at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Just imagine if Maxime Bernier (or someone like him) somehow became Prime Minister.....we just might have our very own Canadian version of Magats....<_<

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/anti-maskers-slammed-for-flying-flag-linked-to-white-supremacists-at-sask-war-memorial/ar-BB1gBE3p?li=AAggNb9
 

Quote

 

A veteran says he's disgusted that a flag associated with Nazis and white supremacists was flown during an anti-mask rally at a Saskatoon war memorial Sunday.

"I think it's totally inappropriate. I just can't comprehend why people would do this," said Al Boyce, president of the Army, Navy and Air force Veterans Unit 38.

A man at the centre of the crowd raised a large flag bearing a sun cross symbol, also known as Odin's cross. It's a symbol used for decades by neo-Nazis, skinheads, the Ku Klux Klan "and virtually every other type of white supremacist," according to the New York-based Anti-Defamation League.

The man stood with the black, white and red flag held high while speakers, including federal political leader Maxime Bernier, railed against pandemic health measures.

Boyce, whose father and four uncles served in the Second World War, said any symbols of hatred are wrong, and the protest location disrespects the memories of veterans who fought and died to keep this country safe.

Boyce said wearing a mask and distancing is a small price to pay for your community, compared with the sacrifices of veterans. Boyce said the whole anti-mask movement is rooted in selfishness.

"You know, you've got to be concerned about your neighbour. They're not helping their neighbour, not helping their family," Boyce said.

"To me, health officials are trying to keep us all safe, just like veterans."

Rhonda Rosenberg, executive director of the Multicultural Council of Saskatchewan, said the use of the flag is not an isolated event. Rosenberg noted the increase in anti-Asian hate incidents, as well as the racist attacks on Saskatchewan's Chief Medical Health officer Dr. Saqib Shahab. At a December anti-mask rally in Regina, a speaker at the podium drew laughs when he spoke of "these foreigners" and repeatedly made fun of Shahab's name.

"There's no question we've seen racist undertones and overtones related to the pandemic right from the beginning," Rosenberg said.

Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations vice-chief Heather Bear called the flag "a slap in the face to all veterans.

"Our veterans didn't have to go to war, but they did. They fought for freedom, but they fought for equality and justice," Bear said.

"To see that mentality now on display at a war memorial is ridiculous."

Concerns are growing across Canada about both the subtle and overt racism on display at the continuing anti-mask rallies. Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi told Global News the rallies are little more than "thinly-veiled white nationalist" events. Federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh called them gatherings for "dangerous" extremists.

In Saskatchewan, opposition MLA Nicole Sarauer said the rally's message is offensive, but it's even worse that they're hosting events in locations designed to honour veterans.

"It's disgusting, it's wrong and it's an insult to those that fought for our freedom," Sarauer said.

Saskatoon and Regina police issued a total of more than 30 tickets to event organizers and participants. It's a marked increase compared to previous rallies, but it's unclear whether that will serve as a deterrent. Several people smiled for group photos holding up their tickets and vowed to fight them in court.

Minister of Justice Gord Wyant said anyone who doubts the resolve of prosecutors and the courts do so "at their peril." He said those who refuse to pay could have their wages garnished, their drivers licence taken away or other penalties.

"We're going to aggressively prosecute those tickets," Wyant said. "We're confident we have the tools in place. I certainly hope [violators] are aware of them."

 

I was torn on whether this belonged here or in the Covid thread, but I felt the fact that Bernier seems to be a constant at these types of events make the Canadian election thread more appropriate.

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meanwhile in Inland Florida, aka Alberta:

 

:blink:

 

Federal government, media and NDP Opposition wanted COVID-19 disaster, says Alberta justice minister

Alberta's justice minister is under fire for remarks he posted on Facebook that said the federal Liberal government, the media and the NDP opposition wanted the province's health-care system to be overwhelmed by COVID-19 cases. 

Kaycee Madu made the remarks last week, a few days after the UCP government introduced more restrictions to contain a surge of COVID-19 cases in Alberta.

 

In the comment section of another user's Facebook page, Madu wrote that the government needed to act or run the risk of leaving Albertans "in field and makeshift hospitals, gasping for breath because we have [run] out of ventilators, manpower etc."

"My point is that I don't think it will be responsible to simply wait until we have a disaster on our hands," wrote the member of the legislature for Edmonton-South West.  

"That's what the NDP, the media and the federal Liberals were looking for and want. We simply couldn't allow that to happen."

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-covid-madu-comments-1.6021206

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Meanwhile in Inland Florida, aka Alberta:

 

:blink:

 

Federal government, media and NDP Opposition wanted COVID-19 disaster, says Alberta justice minister

Alberta's justice minister is under fire for remarks he posted on Facebook that said the federal Liberal government, the media and the NDP opposition wanted the province's health-care system to be overwhelmed by COVID-19 cases. 

Kaycee Madu made the remarks last week, a few days after the UCP government introduced more restrictions to contain a surge of COVID-19 cases in Alberta.

 

In the comment section of another user's Facebook page, Madu wrote that the government needed to act or run the risk of leaving Albertans "in field and makeshift hospitals, gasping for breath because we have [run] out of ventilators, manpower etc."

"My point is that I don't think it will be responsible to simply wait until we have a disaster on our hands," wrote the member of the legislature for Edmonton-South West.  

"That's what the NDP, the media and the federal Liberals were looking for and want. We simply couldn't allow that to happen."

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-covid-madu-comments-1.6021206

Always willing to play the victim.....:rolleyes:

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Bernier reps for the right wing, and O' Toole reps for the right wing.

No wonder Trudeau keeps getting in.

Wonder if right wing supporters are going to figure out the problem and change, a bunch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

scary thing is Albertans really believe this kind of stuff. 

One of the photos embedded in the article shows a guy wearing a T-Shirt that says "The Earth is Flat"....

 

It's like proudly walking around with a sign that says "I'm a Moron, Change my Mind"....:picard:

 

When you've managed to attain "Expert Level" ignorance, no stance is too stupid...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

So Bernier reps for the right wing, and O' Toole reps for the right wing.

No wonder Trudeau keeps getting in.

Wonder if right wing supporters are going to figure out the problem and change, a bunch?

Probably not....

 

...If they had been smart, they would have gathered up all the carrots they could get their hands on and convinced Rona to run....but instead, they always seem to fall back on this dopey Social Conservatism, which is out of step with pretty much every Canadian who wasn't born in the 50's or on the prairies....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

One of the photos embedded in the article shows a guy wearing a T-Shirt that says "The Earth is Flat"....

 

It's like proudly walking around with a sign that says "I'm a Moron, Change my Mind"....:picard:

 

When you've managed to attain "Expert Level" ignorance, no stance is too stupid...

this is where Harper has taken Canadian conservatism. It was inevitable when they abandoned actual fiscal policies and went full-on social con. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -SN- changed the title to Canadian Federal Election Thread
  • -SN- pinned this topic
  • -DLC- unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...