The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Federal Election Thread

Ryan Strome

Yeah it's a tough situation for the government. The whole ethnic cleansing concept of the schools is despicable but what can be done to atone for the deaths of the kids? The majority of whom died from TB which, at the time, was extremely deadly. Trudeau vows action but nothing is going to bring them back nor change history. I have a connection with someone who went to a residential school, this person said that it was the best thing for them. They were given 3 meals per day, were clothed, were warm in the winter - essentials. I imagine that not all schools were 'created equal' so to speak; the living conditions and child treatment may have varied significantly depending on the priest in charge. Either way, I remember when I was in high school the atrocious detail of the schools weren't part of the curriculum, if that hasn't changed it needs to. Maybe that is part of the answer.

I am very familiar with the damage of residential schools.  I wrote this the other day.  It will be my only statement on it

On May 27th 2021 the remains of 215 forgotten murdered and missing first Nations children were found on a residential school site in Kamloops BC.
But today we fly our flags at half mast
From 1860 to 1996 the Canadian government and Catholic Church engaged in a mission to "correct" the Indian out of first Nations Canadians.
In the night the RCMP would ride in to camps and tribal lands in force and kidnap first Nations children as young as newborn and as old as 16. At least, at lowest count over 4200 documented children never made it home, but the number is vague because many had no documentation.
But today we wear orange shirts
From the 1910s through 1950s first Nations Canadian children were starved in an experiment to see how much if any net benefit could be garnered from "fortified foods" on healthy children, malnourished children and control groups. This gave way to enriched and fortified food stuffs at the risk, death and forced starvation of hundreds or thousands of first Nations children.
But today people put teddy bears on their porch.
Young first Nations girls and boys were routinely abused, raped and worse at the hands of residential school managers and clergy. The Catholic Church knew and did nothing. When young first Nations girls would become pregnant as young as 11 years old, the newborns would be thrown in to boilers to be incinerated, and should the girls survived they were reprimanded for not being "chaste and pure"
When young first Nations boys acted out, the RCMP were called and at times would take the unruly child outside and draw arms in a firing squad and murder them. Citing "behavioural issues that could not be addressed. In the winter the ground would be too cold to dig graves so the bodies were also thrown in to the boiler and incinerated.
But tonight we leave our lights on.
Entire generations of first nations children were horrifically abused and tortured over years and then released with untold mental trauma that went unchecked and undiagnosed leading to severe social issues and addictions towards drugs and alcohol. The prevailing attitude from the government and RCMP was to gaslight those victims and claim that savages could not avoid substance abuse issues and could not be civilized. These attitudes persist today.
But today people leave shoes on steps.
Some times, these children would make it home only to find the government has forcibly relocated their families and tribes in order to secure mineral rights, timber rights and easier railway lines. Whole tribes moved at gunpoint to the high arctic or away from ancestral lands and many never survived.
But today we post profile photo templates about it on social media.
A First nations woman in Saskatchewan wanted to hold her baby. But the doctors refuses and demanded she have a hysterectomy first. A practice of forced sterilization that had been ongoing for decades. Drugged up and in pain she agreed because she just wanted her child. A story that broke in 2019
But today we bead moccasins....
We take a sip of water and hold a moment of solidarity and mourning for 215 lost children from families who knew but never had closure. While dozens of first nations groups across the country live without running water for basic hygiene, or drinking, in near third world conditions decades after the Merch Lake agreements and Kelowna accords
But yet another PM made a token apology from a heartfelt piece of paper someone wrote for them.
These are issues that happened in the past and continue to this day. Thia is the history of our nation and the treatment given to the original inhabitants.
We put on orange shirts, we leave shoes and lower flags and exclaim how much of a tragedy it is but how much has actually changed?
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission laid out an over 400 page report that detailed over 100 years of stolen and murdered children at the hands of the church and RCMP. But we see no flags lowered at the Vatican or investigations occurring and nothing changes.
We see first nations women go missing on a daily basis, someone's mother's, daughters...sisters but the RCMP stays silent and nothing changes.
We see first nations bands losing the right to their own lands for corporate development even though they say no. The courts side against them and nothing changes.
We see whole groups of first nations individuals living in 3rd world conditions, but all people can say is "well someone wants a handout" or " looks like our taxes are going up again" and nothing changes.
The truth is, 215 missing and murdered first nations children in one of over 100+ residential schools sites and an additional 80+ education sites is the tip of the iceberg. We know there's more, as a nation we are not ignorant because we know
But what changes?
There can be no reconciliation because to reconcile means there was a healthy relationship there to begin with. But in over 150 years the way we treat out first nations has been anything but healthy.
Today our flags are at half mast. Our lights left on. We wear shirts and say never again for the umpteenth time.
But nothing will change until we actually make a change for the better. So instead of empty words, try to be the family this nation is supposed to be. The family we claim to the world we are
Today, I stand with the people in silence and mourn. Today I promise to change
łaʔłaʔxʷísk̓iʔt spuʔús Nneqsilt
My Heart Rests
(Syilx the language of the Okanagan First Nations)
  • Vintage 2

A brief divergence from Kamloops to discuss about a "wtf" moment in Parliament from last week, and the response it's triggered in the greater Asian/Chinese diaspora community:

I can't believe that the Rt. Hon. would attempt virtue signalling by associating with racism the questions raised in question period about the research we might be conducting jointly with the ccp/pla.  I'm also glad that not only politicians, but also diaspora and other laypeople are trying to dissociate the ccp/pla with the anti-Asian racism that has been going on, and draw a firm line separating the two issues.  

As far as I'm concerned, the ccp/pla is a security threat and potentially the greatest adversary our country will face (some may argue that it's actually Russia), and as a member of the Asian diaspora community, I feel that the ccp/pla are fueling the anti-Asian racist sentiments because it builds their case for playing the victim, as opposed to the narrative the Rt. Hon. would have us believe of a lack of willingness to cooperate with the ccp/pla = racism.

I know this government is big on diversity and inclusion, but you don't diversify and include by allowing wolves into your henhouse.

Spoiler

Representatives of Chinese dissident groups reject Trudeau's comments on racism

Standing up to China should never be conflated with racism, witnesses say

Evan Dyer · CBC News · Posted: Jun 02, 2021 1:29 PM ET | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

italian-canadian-apology-20210527.jpg
In a recent exchange with Conservative MPs, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appeared to draw a link between questions about the dismissal of two Chinese scientists from the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg and racial intolerance. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

Witnesses who appeared before the Commons special committee on Canada-China relations this week said they were troubled by comments Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made about racism — comments that left Conservatives fuming.

During a debate last Wednesday about the dismissal of two Chinese scientists from the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg, Trudeau appeared to suggest that Conservative MPs were feeding anti-Asian sentiments by asking questions.

"I hope that my Conservative Party colleagues are not raising fears about Asian Canadians," Trudeau told the Commons.

Three women appeared before the committee as representatives of Tibetan, Uyghur and Hong Kong pro-democracy groups. Two of the three said they had personally experienced hostility and abuse during a year that has seen a well-documented wave of anti-Asian racist violence across North America.

All three also warned against soft-pedalling criticism of the Chinese government, or throttling back on efforts to block Chinese state espionage, out of a fear of appearing racist.

chemi-lhamo.jpg
Chemi Lhamo at a University of Toronto campus. (Martin Trainor/CBC)

"Folks who claim to be standing up against anti-Asian hatred and racism, please, listen to your constituents and Asian voices," said Tibetan activist Chemi Lhamo, whose run for student president at the University of Toronto provoked hostility and threats from Chinese nationalists.

"As an Asian woman, there is a bigger target on my back, and conflating the idea of anti-CCP [Communist Party of China] with anti-Asian is actually a much bigger disrespect."

"I think our prime minister is really confused," said witness Rukiye Turdush of the Uyghur Research Institute. "If we're against the CCP, it doesn't mean we're against the Chinese people. It has nothing to do with anti-Asian racism. I really didn't get why he said that."

Biosecurity, not diversity

The government has refused to explain in detail why Xiangguo Qiu and her husband Keding Cheng were fired, and why Qiu in 2019 sent samples of Ebola and Henipah virus to the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Last week, when pressed by opposition members about the case, Trudeau responded by praising diversity.

"We have long known that diversity is our strength as a country, especially in scientific research," he told Parliament. "We will always strive to do more to protect the integrity of our research institutions and their data.

"However, we will never play into the hands of intolerance towards people from other countries, simply because they look different. We will always stand up for diversity."

michael-chong.jpg
Conservative critic Michael D. Chong says that by conflating criticism of China's government with anti-Asian racism, the prime minister is playing into Beijing's hands. (Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press)

Conservatives responded by saying that the case is about national security and biosecurity, not diversity.

"When Prime Minister Trudeau conflates criticism of China's government with anti-Asian racism, he plays into the propaganda efforts of China's communist leadership," said Conservative foreign affairs critic Michael Chong and diversity critic Kenny Chiu in a statement. "Beijing's goal is to conflate legitimate criticism of China's government with intolerance towards anyone of Chinese heritage."

They asked for a retraction, which has not been forthcoming.

Good intentions

"Good intentions don't necessarily come with good results," said Hong Kong dissident Cherie Wong of Alliance Canada Hong Kong, the last of the three women to testify before the committee.

"I saw that (Trudeau) made an effort to speak out about anti-Asian racism," she told CBC News. "While I respect the prime minister for trying to ensure that our community won't face increased harm from these discussions about geopolitical politics, I also hope that he can answer these questions, very real concerns of national security and foreign influence happening in our nation."

Wong, who said she has experienced aggressive acts of racism over the past year, said "this fact that racism exists in Western society is being exploited by the CCP in different ways.

mourners-pay-respects-outside-atlanta-s-
Helen Park Truong, 34, and Sarah Tang, 31, embrace after laying flowers at a makeshift memorial outside the Gold Spa following the deadly shootings in the Atlanta area. (Shannon Stapleton/Reuters)

"Shortly after the Atlanta killings, we saw many Chinese community organizations that have state affiliations would actually hijack some of the grassroots organizing for anti-Asian racism rallies.

"These Chinese community organizations are often inactive in the equity circle of anti-racist work, and only come out when they realize that there are rallies to be held and there are opportunities to speak to the press.

"And we did see from state media that the Chinese media is trying to portray a very violent society for racialized communities in the West, and they would use this kind of messaging in conjunction with, 'Look at the motherland. Look at how in China we have racial harmony.'"

Wong said the CCP is itself guilty of having "violently oppressed and suppressed and murdered people who are not Han Chinese in Tibet, in Mongolia, in East Turkistan. So they are using this Asian racism to kind of draw up this patriotic, nationalistic view of China. But if you examine it clearly, you will see that what China is promoting is actually racial purity."

Don't dial it back

Some in the U.S. have suggested dialling back disagreements with China's ruling party in an effort to reduce anti-Asian racism.

"Such suggestions reinforce the conflation of the Chinese state and people of Chinese descent — not to mention other people of Asian descent — the notion China's leaders and racists and xenophobes outside of China promote that all people of Chinese descent owe our loyalty first and foremost to China, regardless of our citizenship or where we were born," wrote Ho-Fung Hung of Johns Hopkins University.

Hung told CBC News that "the influence campaign by the Chinese government is a real problem that every democratic government needs to deal with.

"At the same time, many anti-Asian racists are taking advantage of the situation to fire up their hatred against Asians and Chinese and taking it into everyday life. And sometimes if (Asians) are in government, we target them unjustifiably, with investigations and so on."

While unprovoked street attacks have been the main concern in North America, some Chinese-Australians have complained recent of living under a McCarthyite cloud of suspicion following a sudden worsening of relations with China.

Diversity among spies

Often overlooked, said Hung, is the Chinese government's increasing recruitment of people with no ethnic Chinese background — demonstrated by recent prominent cases in both Europe and North America.

"The focus on one group is not only bad because it is racism. It is also bad because it is counterproductive to national security," said Hung.

"The Chinese government is not static. They are learning fast and they evolve rapidly," said Hung, who argues that for some time Beijing has been "using the language of inclusion and diversity to protest U.S. institutions that violate China's interest as defined by the Chinese government."

One example is China's pressure on U.S. universities to rescind invitations to the Dalai Lama on the grounds that it shows "cultural disrespect" toward Chinese students.

cda-china-media-20170704.jpg
In 2019, China's then-ambassador to Canada Lu Shaye wrote an article accusing the Canadian government of embracing "white supremacy" by pushing for the release of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor from Chinese custody. (Justin Tang/Canadian Press)

Canada had its own experience of that treatment in 2019 when then-Chinese ambassador Lu Shaye wrote an op-ed in the Hill Times charging that "white supremacy" lay behind Canada's protests against the imprisonment of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor.

Hung cites Donald Trump's comments about "kung flu" and other disparaging rhetoric as examples of a politician deliberately stirring the pot of prejudice. But even a well-meaning politician "has to be very careful to separate the Chinese government and Chinese people in general, and the Chinese diaspora as well."

It also should matter, said Cherie Wong, that China is a one-party state without meaningful elections.

"I think there's a lot of people who misunderstand that the Chinese government is representative of the Chinese people. That is definitely a narrative that the Chinese government has been actively pursuing," said Wong.

"But for us here, we need to be very clear that that's not true. The CCP does not represent its people and we need to separate the conversation. Holding the Chinese government accountable is about holding the state and the leaders and the political actors of that country accountable."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china-dissidents-trudeau-national-microbiology-lab-1.6049856

I really hope the Rt. Hon. and his cabinet (and members of his party, for that matter) smarten the &^@# up and wake the &^@# up.  This is not the kumbaya era of his dad where engagement = economic growth.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

A brief divergence from Kamloops to discuss about a "wtf" moment in Parliament from last week, and the response it's triggered in the greater Asian/Chinese diaspora community:

I can't believe that the Rt. Hon. would attempt virtue signalling by associating with racism the questions raised in question period about the research we might be conducting jointly with the ccp/pla.  I'm also glad that not only politicians, but also diaspora and other laypeople are trying to dissociate the ccp/pla with the anti-Asian racism that has been going on, and draw a firm line separating the two issues.  

As far as I'm concerned, the ccp/pla is a security threat and potentially the greatest adversary our country will face (some may argue that it's actually Russia), and as a member of the Asian diaspora community, I feel that the ccp/pla are fueling the anti-Asian racist sentiments because it builds their case for playing the victim, as opposed to the narrative the Rt. Hon. would have us believe of a lack of willingness to cooperate with the ccp/pla = racism.

I know this government is big on diversity and inclusion, but you don't diversify and include by allowing wolves into your henhouse.

Hide contents

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/china-dissidents-trudeau-national-microbiology-lab-1.6049856

I really hope the Rt. Hon. and his cabinet (and members of his party, for that matter) smarten the &^@# up and wake the &^@# up.  This is not the kumbaya era of his dad where engagement = economic growth.

Awesome post. My thoughts exactly. Anyone who looks at questioning the CCP as anti-Asian has their head far up their virtue signaling ass, it's not even funny. A few folks I know who are Chinese feel this even more vehemently than I do. They know how deceptive, cruel, and totalitarian the CCP has been and continues to be. In fact, that's then main reason they live here now, as they fled China, a country they loved, because of the dictatorship that took hold there so many years ago. 

The CCP knows that they just have to stoke these fires behind the scenes and the woke far left will do the rest of the work for them. It's as plain as day. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Burr 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Awesome post. My thoughts exactly. Anyone who looks at questioning the CCP as anti-Asian has their head far up their virtue signaling ass, it's not even funny. A few folks I know who are Chinese feel this even more vehemently than I do. They know how deceptive, cruel, and totalitarian the CCP has been and continues to be. In fact, that's then main reason they live here now, as they fled China, a country they loved, because of the dictatorship that took hold there so many years ago. 

The CCP knows that they just have to stoke these fires behind the scenes and the woke far left will do the rest of the work for them. It's as plain as day. 

I don't know if thats what he did, vs his often fumbled attempts at deflecting CPC critics. They seem him as weak on China so he's playing the race card (on some else's behalf) to deflect a political argument. I don't like that either but that seems like a close fit to me than virtue singling. 

We also have Kovrig and Spavor in jail so there's that to manage. 

Personally I'd like to see a much harder line with China, but I don't see any of our current parties doing a good job on that. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know if thats what he did, vs his often fumbled attempts at deflecting CPC critics. They seem him as weak on China so he's playing the race card (on some else's behalf) to deflect a political argument. I don't like that either but that seems like a close fit to me than virtue singling. 

Whether or not he's doing it for political reasons, Trudeau has been known to resort to these hackneyed moves before, so, in my humble opinion, it does play a part. 

We also have Kovrig and Spavor in jail so there's that to manage. 

For sure, and I'm willing to bet good money that they aren't living in the same standards that Meng Wanzhou is. 

Personally I'd like to see a much harder line with China, but I don't see any of our current parties doing a good job on that. 

I'd like to that as well. The CCP is a very untrustworthy and dangerous political party that if given more power, will only abuse it. 

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Whether or not he's doing it for political reasons, Trudeau has been known to resort to these hackneyed moves before, so, in my humble opinion, it does play a part. 

For sure, and I'm willing to bet good money that they aren't living in the same standards that Meng Wanzhou is. 

I'd like to that as well. The CCP is a very untrustworthy and dangerous political party that if given more power, will only abuse it. 

the big mistake that the Liberals made and are unwilling to admit is they really thought they would have the ability to have a good relationship with China. Xi couldn't be bothered to wipe Trudeau off his shoe, as it turns out.

My plan, if I was emperor of Canada for a day, would be to do a massive investment back into Canadian manufacturing and say f.u. to as much as Chinese dependence as possible. We're not going to have a good relationship with them for a very long time. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the big mistake that the Liberals made and are unwilling to admit is they really thought they would have the ability to have a good relationship with China. Xi couldn't be bothered to wipe Trudeau off his shoe, as it turns out.

My plan, if I was emperor of Canada for a day, would be to do a massive investment back into Canadian manufacturing and say f.u. to as much as Chinese dependence as possible. We're not going to have a good relationship with them for a very long time. 

I think that Canada could have a great relationship with China, if China had a political party in power that actually respected their own citizens. As I previously mentioned, Chinese folks that I know that live here fled their country solely because of the horrible CCP. China is a lot better than the political party that has taken the country over. So is Canada, but at least Canadians have a government that hasn't abolished term limits. 

I have nothing but respect for China. I hate the CCP.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that Canada could have a great relationship with China, if China had a political party in power that actually respected their own citizens. As I previously mentioned, Chinese folks that I know that live here fled their country solely because of the horrible CCP. China is a lot better than the political party that has taken the country over. So is Canada, but at least Canadians have a government that hasn't abolished term limits. 

I have nothing but respect for China. I hate the CCP.

just too many people making too much money for the CCP to be removed tho. Thats why I think its going to take a really long time for change in that party to happen. 

• Vintage 1

So, in light of the horrific discovery at the former Kamloops Residential School, the Calgary Board of Trustees decide that renaming a high school that was named for one of the architects of the Residential School System was a good idea....

When asked to comment on the decision, Jason Kenney (predictably) put his foot in it:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/kenney-criticized-for-cancel-culture-remarks-amid-renewed-residential-school-debate/ar-AAKEh7a?li=AAggNb9

A western Canadian Indigenous leader is condemning cancel culture remarks made by Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, and says it reinforces a recent decision to scrap a formal working agreement with the province.

Kenney spoke Tuesday about cancel culture when asked about Calgary Board of Education trustees voting this week to immediately rename the Langevin junior high school in light of outrage following the discovery of the remains believed to be from 215 children at the site of a former Indian residential school in Kamloops.

Hector-Louis Langevin, a former federal Conservative cabinet minister, is considered an architect of the residential school system, which saw thousands of Indigenous children taken from their families over decades, isolated and abused in a program designed to assimilate them into non-Indigenous culture.

Kenney was asked by reporters about the Langevin issue and the ongoing national debate over retaining or removing statues of Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister, who was the driving force behind the residential school system.

Kenney equated removing statues and renaming institutions with erasing from history these figures and thereby not allowing Canadians to understand, learn and grow from past actions, even those deemed reprehensible.

The premier took issue with the focus on Macdonald, noting other federal leaders throughout Canadian history embraced racist and punitive policies, such as the internment of Japanese Canadians during the Second World War.

“If we go full force into cancel culture, then we’re cancelling most if not all of our history,” said Kenney. “Instead, I think we should learn from our history.”

Grand Chief Vernon Watchmaker was critical of Kenney's remarks in a statement Wednesday.

“The premier’s diatribe was particularly insensitive, especially on the heels of the mass grave discovery in Kamloops, B.C.,” he said.

The statement added: “Just when we think we are experiencing acts of reconciliation, the premier contradicts all the efforts toward an understanding.

“(It) confirms that the Treaty 6 chiefs made the right decision to dissolve the protocol agreement that was made between the Confederacy of Treaty 6 First Nations and the Government of Alberta.”

IF ever there was a leader who didn't know how to read a room....:picard:

13 hours ago, TheAce said:

Here's what i dont understand, on the heels of hearing a horrible story of mistreatment of fellow humans we offer apologies, change some school names, etc yet we still do business with places like China and Saudi Arabia. Places that have terrible human rights. If you knew of a resteraunt that had a sign posted saying No ( specific race or sexual preference ) would you still go to that place and support them ? Probably not, yet here we are still connected with these countries. The government wants all of us citizens to stop the racism but its ok for them to still support countries who are racist/ homophobic. Its time countries start making a stand against these places and stop doing business with them.

That's a good point.....it's something that many of us have criticized over the years on CDC.

I get that Canadian jobs are sometimes at stake, but sometimes you just have to do the right thing. Personally, I would boycott the Olympics for starters and then (as Jimmy already mentioned) start the process of disentangling the Canadian economy from Chinese dependency.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, TheAce said:

Here's what i dont understand, on the heels of hearing a horrible story of mistreatment of fellow humans we offer apologies, change some school names, etc yet we still do business with places like China and Saudi Arabia. Places that have terrible human rights. If you knew of a resteraunt that had a sign posted saying No ( specific race or sexual preference ) would you still go to that place and support them ? Probably not, yet here we are still connected with these countries. The government wants all of us citizens to stop the racism but its ok for them to still support countries who are racist/ homophobic. Its time countries start making a stand against these places and stop doing business with them.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's a good point.....it's something that many of us have criticized over the years on CDC.

I get that Canadian jobs are sometimes at stake, but sometimes you just have to do the right thing. Personally, I would boycott the Olympics for starters and then (as Jimmy already mentioned) start the process of disentangling the Canadian economy from Chinese dependency.

One word: the g.d.m.f. almighty $.  $ is king, it makes hypocrites out of governments, it compels people to act against their stated principles, it buys favour where none previously existed.

Sad, but unfortunately this is the world we live in.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7926605/ryerson-statue-university-removed-toronto/

Egerton Ryerson statue will not be replaced after being pulled down, university says

Nor should it be, IMO....

Statues should only be erected for truly notable people.....like Tommy Douglas....Terry Fox....Fred Banting....

And of course, this guy:

Spoiler

Geocaching - Log by Rocky Banks for Canada Hockey jersey (Trackable  Adventure Guide)

• Hydration 1

17 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Nor should it be, IMO....

Statues should only be erected for truly notable people.....like Tommy Douglas....Terry Fox....Fred Banting....

And of course, this guy:

Reveal hidden contents

Geocaching - Log by Rocky Banks for Canada Hockey jersey (Trackable  Adventure Guide)

Tommy Douglas? he had some pretty weird ideas too, not sure he'd be acceptable today either. 

I wonder what Ryerson is going to call itself now, you know a name change is coming. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Tommy Douglas? he had some pretty weird ideas too, not sure he'd be acceptable today either. 

I wonder what Ryerson is going to call itself now, you know a name change is coming. 

Douglas had his concerns on sterilizing people but Pearson, Trudeau Sr and Deif all looked the other way. Interesting that residential schools were a western phenomenon. My best friend growing up was full Mohawk who moved with his family from Ontario when he was 8 in 1960. They lived on a reserve back in Ontario. Some bad stuff there. His mother was one of the best people I have ever met. A single mother with 8 kids who supported them on her own. All those kids turned out well with solid values. 

• -SN- changed the title to Canadian Federal Election Thread
  • -SN- pinned this topic
  • -DLC- unpinned this topic