Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Federal Election Thread


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, gurn said:

Add $115 and it's over $200 mill.

Canada has racked up a $381 billion deficit due to covid, perhaps it is time to be a lot more careful how they spend our money?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-deficit-on-track-to-exceed-381b-as-spending-increases-in-wake-of-second-covid-19-wave-1.5209807

 

And to help you sleep better at night consider the actual debt at 1,111,823 mill and rising by $423 mill per day.

https://www.debtclock.ca/

 

But we love ignoring our veterans and seniors so that we can afford to pay out massive sums of international aid... optics yo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Green party being destroyed in a matter of days.

Took decades to make this party almost relevant and now:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/green-party-leader-accuses-freeland-of-being-trudeau-s-female-shield/ar-AAL9BQd?ocid=msedgntp

Green Party Leader Annamie Paul is accusing Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland of serving as a "female shield" to the prime minister, following the defection of a Green MP to the Liberals.

Freeland, she claimed, had a hand in former Green MP Jenica Atwin crossing the floor to the Liberals -- something she said was part of a pattern from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of "undermining strong women, capable women at the height of their careers," and of "pushing, strong, competent, capable women out of politics."

 

Trudeau, Paul alleged, does this to women "with impunity."

"I'm also going to say shame on Chrystia Freeland for her complicity in this, for being his female shield against all of that," Paul said, speaking with host Greg Brady in an interview for 640 Toronto Thursday morning.

"She also has a role to play. She also was in these conversations with Jenica Atwin."

Read more: ‘So racist, so sexist’: Annamie Paul slams bid to oust her as Green Party leader

Global News reached out to Freeland's office regarding Paul's comments but did not hear back by the time this article was published."

 

 

 OK- put up or shut up!

Proof please.

Seems all I hear from the Green Leader is claims of racism and sexism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Green party being destroyed in a matter of days.

Took decades to make this party almost relevant and now:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/green-party-leader-accuses-freeland-of-being-trudeau-s-female-shield/ar-AAL9BQd?ocid=msedgntp

Green Party Leader Annamie Paul is accusing Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland of serving as a "female shield" to the prime minister, following the defection of a Green MP to the Liberals.

Freeland, she claimed, had a hand in former Green MP Jenica Atwin crossing the floor to the Liberals -- something she said was part of a pattern from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of "undermining strong women, capable women at the height of their careers," and of "pushing, strong, competent, capable women out of politics."

 

Trudeau, Paul alleged, does this to women "with impunity."

"I'm also going to say shame on Chrystia Freeland for her complicity in this, for being his female shield against all of that," Paul said, speaking with host Greg Brady in an interview for 640 Toronto Thursday morning.

"She also has a role to play. She also was in these conversations with Jenica Atwin."

Read more: ‘So racist, so sexist’: Annamie Paul slams bid to oust her as Green Party leader

Global News reached out to Freeland's office regarding Paul's comments but did not hear back by the time this article was published."

 

 

 OK- put up or shut up!

Proof please.

Seems all I hear from the Green Leader is claims of racism and sexism.

How ridiculous. But i guess when you're a hammer everything looks like a nail.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, gurn said:

Green party being destroyed in a matter of days.

Took decades to make this party almost relevant and now:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/green-party-leader-accuses-freeland-of-being-trudeau-s-female-shield/ar-AAL9BQd?ocid=msedgntp

Green Party Leader Annamie Paul is accusing Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland of serving as a "female shield" to the prime minister, following the defection of a Green MP to the Liberals.

Freeland, she claimed, had a hand in former Green MP Jenica Atwin crossing the floor to the Liberals -- something she said was part of a pattern from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of "undermining strong women, capable women at the height of their careers," and of "pushing, strong, competent, capable women out of politics."

 

Trudeau, Paul alleged, does this to women "with impunity."

"I'm also going to say shame on Chrystia Freeland for her complicity in this, for being his female shield against all of that," Paul said, speaking with host Greg Brady in an interview for 640 Toronto Thursday morning.

"She also has a role to play. She also was in these conversations with Jenica Atwin."

Read more: ‘So racist, so sexist’: Annamie Paul slams bid to oust her as Green Party leader

Global News reached out to Freeland's office regarding Paul's comments but did not hear back by the time this article was published."

 

 

 OK- put up or shut up!

Proof please.

Seems all I hear from the Green Leader is claims of racism and sexism.

Freeland is the most capable cabinet minister we have, and would be a frontrunner if there was a leadership race for the party today.  Paul bit off way more than she can chew here 

Edited by King Heffy
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Freeland is the most capable cabinet minister we have, and would be a frontrunner if there was a leadership race for the party today.  Paul bit off way more than she can chew here 

Paul is seeing conspiracies now. Maybe she's not actually cut out to be a leader? Can't win a seat, can't hold her tiny party together. 

 

TBH I don't even know what the Greens stand for at this point, whats their main platform?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Paul is seeing conspiracies now. Maybe she's not actually cut out to be a leader? Can't win a seat, can't hold her tiny party together. 

 

TBH I don't even know what the Greens stand for at this point, whats their main platform?

She's actually driving my vote to the Liberals as I have a serious issue with some of the NDP members' views on our military; the Conservatives' social views prevent them from every being an option.  Green was the only other option available to me.

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

She's actually driving my vote to the Liberals as I have a serious issue with some of the NDP members' views on our military; the Conservatives' social views prevent them from every being an option.  Green was the only other option available to me.

you might have a new Green leader between now and the next election. I can't see how she stays on tbh. 

 

O'Toole brings nothing, he was such a bad choice. I see that people like Singh's personality, but I don't see a real case there to really run the country. 

 

I'd like to see Freeland take over from Trudeau at this point. Maybe he's ready to move on. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you might have a new Green leader between now and the next election. I can't see how she stays on tbh. 

 

O'Toole brings nothing, he was such a bad choice. I see that people like Singh's personality, but I don't see a real case there to really run the country. 

 

I'd like to see Freeland take over from Trudeau at this point. Maybe he's ready to move on. 

Freeland would likely win in a landslide if that happened.  Sadly, I think there's more people than we'd like who will never vote for Singh due to his race.  I don't see Trudeau stepping down voluntarily before he loses an election though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, King Heffy said:

Freeland would likely win in a landslide if that happened. 

yeah I think they'd have a nice fat majority win on that one. 

 

Just now, King Heffy said:

 

Sadly, I think there's more people than we'd like who will never vote for Singh due to his race. 

Do you really think that? I just don't see a lot of capability there, he really hasn't come out with anything viable since he took over. I think a lot of people would be happy to vote for him but his ideas are all really expensive and with our massive covid debt I just don't see how things like free Pharma can ever happen. 

 

Just now, King Heffy said:

 

I don't see Trudeau stepping down voluntarily before he loses an election though.

yeah probably. I could see them running a very short campaign season, there won't be much of a ground game, and likely mail in voting will be a big part of it. Might be the easiest campaign he's ever had. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Do you really think that? I just don't see a lot of capability there, he really hasn't come out with anything viable since he took over. I think a lot of people would be happy to vote for him but his ideas are all really expensive and with our massive covid debt I just don't see how things like free Pharma can ever happen. 

 

I'm not in a hurry to vote for him, but I certainly think there's a significant number of people in Quebec and the prairies who are averse to his religion, at a minimum.  I suspect that the vast majority of the people in the prairies who won't consider him for those reasons are pretty heavily right-leaning anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not in a hurry to vote for him, but I certainly think there's a significant number of people in Quebec and the prairies who are averse to his religion, at a minimum.  I suspect that the vast majority of the people in the prairies who won't consider him for those reasons are pretty heavily right-leaning anyway.

I think people in Montreal would vote for him.... rest of Quebec, not a chance. Lovely scenery, lots of you-know-whats. 

 

The NDP is really effective sometimes as a 3rd party, maybe thats best. I'd be happy to keep minority gov'ts going and have that "conscience" in place to lean policy towards more social benefits. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think people in Montreal would vote for him.... rest of Quebec, not a chance. Lovely scenery, lots of you-know-whats. 

 

The NDP is really effective sometimes as a 3rd party, maybe thats best. I'd be happy to keep minority gov'ts going and have that "conscience" in place to lean policy towards more social benefits. 

Me too; that's how we got the good stuff we take for granted today like CPP and socialized healthcare.  Part of the reason I want to get rid of FPTP is so minority governments would be the rule, rather than the exception.

  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you might have a new Green leader between now and the next election. I can't see how she stays on tbh. 

 

O'Toole brings nothing, he was such a bad choice. I see that people like Singh's personality, but I don't see a real case there to really run the country. 

 

I'd like to see Freeland take over from Trudeau at this point. Maybe he's ready to move on. 

What do you think Mark Carney’s future is in the Lib Party? Is he treading water until JT is gone? What cred does Freeland have  on Bay Street? Carney is connected and I suspect Freeland not so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Me too; that's how we got the good stuff we take for granted today like CPP and socialized healthcare.  Part of the reason I want to get rid of FPTP is so minority governments would be the rule, rather than the exception.

I get that, for sure. What I'd worry about a bit with formalizing it is you do have the chance of devolving into crap like we see in places like Italy. FPTP is not perfect by any means but its interesting that we can't really take majorities for granted here due to regional issues. Also sometimes its good to get a majority from time to time, just not all the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What do you think Mark Carney’s future is in the Lib Party? Is he treading water until JT is gone? What cred does Freeland have  on Bay Street? Carney is connected and I suspect Freeland not so much.

I'm not sure CF needs Bay St cred to win, I do think she'd be viewed as a better choice than Trudeau. 

 

TBH I really don't have a clue what Carney might be considering, I would think he'd come back in a ministerial job for at least one term before trying for PM. If this next election plays out as a slim Liberal majority and he is finance minister for 4 years I could see him getting the leadership after Trudeau, I don't think Justin stays in after one more term. He'll want to retire from politics in his early 50s like Obama. 

 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think people in Montreal would vote for him.... rest of Quebec, not a chance. Lovely scenery, lots of you-know-whats. 

 

The NDP is really effective sometimes as a 3rd party, maybe thats best. I'd be happy to keep minority gov'ts going and have that "conscience" in place to lean policy towards more social benefits. 

100% agree - I used to be a card carrying member of the NDP. My issue with Liberals and NDP is they have similar ideas and beliefs but tend to split votes in elections which allows clowns like O'Toole to sneak in. I have always advocated for them to merge but the resistance I have seen tells me it will never happen. It's why right wing parties do so well - they will merge parties to avoid that scenario - look no farther than ol' Jason Kenney here in Albertabama and his merger with the Wild Rose party.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

100% agree - I used to be a card carrying member of the NDP. My issue with Liberals and NDP is they have similar ideas and beliefs but tend to split votes in elections which allows clowns like O'Toole to sneak in. I have always advocated for them to merge but the resistance I have seen tells me it will never happen. It's why right wing parties do so well - they will merge parties to avoid that scenario - look no farther than ol' Jason Kenney here in Albertabama and his merger with the Wild Rose party.

yeah unite the right was a good idea by Harper, except its also their big weakness. It breeds really stupid governments. If AB had a snap election today Notley likely wins. 

 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not sure CF needs Bay St cred to win, I do think she'd be viewed as a better choice than Trudeau. 

 

TBH I really don't have a clue what Carney might be considering, I would think he'd come back in a ministerial job for at least one term before trying for PM. If this next election plays out as a slim Liberal majority and he is finance minister for 4 years I could see him getting the leadership after Trudeau, I don't think Justin stays in after one more term. He'll want to retire from politics in his early 50s like Obama. 

 

Carney has a nice gig with Brookfield, heavily involved with their ESG investments. I don’t see him as a finance minister for 4 years. He has more than covered that part of his portfolio. He goes straight to PM. I think the real leadership of the Libs talked him into coming back to Canada in case Trudeau didn’t make it past the SNC scandal. Highly doubt Trudeau leaves voluntarily. Being PM is his identity. I only hope he never gets a majority. The NDP supports him as a matter of course so I guess he already has a majority.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Carney has a nice gig with Brookfield, heavily involved with their ESG investments. I don’t see him as a finance minister for 4 years. He has more than covered that part of his portfolio. He goes straight to PM. I think the real leadership of the Libs talked him into coming back to Canada in case Trudeau didn’t make it past the SNC scandal. Highly doubt Trudeau leaves voluntarily. Being PM is his identity. I only hope he never gets a majority. The NDP supports him as a matter of course so I guess he already has a majority.

you could be right about that, but that would be a challenge to Trudeau's leadership this summer, which I don't see happening. But he would bring a ton of international credibility back and I'd be pretty happy with him driving an agenda that included developing more Canadian manufacturing and more trade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -SN- changed the title to Canadian Federal Election Thread
  • -SN- pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...