The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Federal Election Thread

Ryan Strome

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you could be right about that, but that would be a challenge to Trudeau's leadership this summer, which I don't see happening. But he would bring a ton of international credibility back and I'd be pretty happy with him driving an agenda that included developing more Canadian manufacturing and more trade. 

Absolutely. I am certainly not a Liebel but Carney has some cred. If Bruce Flatt hires him then I have to reconsider. The CPC has imploded. 

If Canada wants to survive international trade in all forms has to grow big time. Diversifying away from the USA dominance has to happen in a far more serious way. Way won’t agree but the energy ticket was a serious loss to Canada. It will cost us trillions of $’s over the long term.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

might need it's own thread.

these atrocities are not the about the current gov but I hope they put the gears to the church in a massive way.

Starting to look a lot more like genocide rather than just cultural genocide.  There's even a priest trying to make the church look like the victim here.  This guy is a piece of $&!# https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mississauga-pastor-catholic-church-residential-schools-1.6077248

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Starting to look a lot more like genocide rather than just cultural genocide.  There's even a priest trying to make the church look like the victim here.  This guy is a piece of $&!# https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mississauga-pastor-catholic-church-residential-schools-1.6077248

I read that earlier.

He's getting the roasting he deserves.

We were discussing these events in the world thread. 

Eyes are starting to look at the Pope to apologise...if he wont......and this is no stretch for me to say, F' the Catholic Church

...and all their followers should be up in arms about it. Call out your leaders sky fairy people!

• Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I read that earlier.

He's getting the roasting he deserves.

We were discussing these events in the world thread. 

Eyes are starting to look at the Pope to apologise...if he wont......and this is no stretch for me to say, F' the Catholic Church

...and all their followers should be up in arms about it. Call out your leaders sky fairy people!

The Pope might issue an apology to get people off his back, but won't do anything further than that. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

might need it's own thread.

these atrocities are not the about the current gov but I hope they put the gears to the church in a massive way.

2 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Even though our current government is not directly responsible, as leaders who inherited the problems their forebearers gave them, the institution known as our government is complicit in the genocide, and should be held to account, as should the church and all other active participants (students excluded).

At least our government is willing to accept some responsibility (even if it's not their full share, it's better than none) and has demonstrated it through launching inquiries and discussion of reconciliation.  This, in contrast to the ccp across the pond, who flat out denies anything is amiss, puts out straw man arguments when presented with evidence, and refuses to allow any semblance of proper investigation or fact finding to substantiate the existence or non-existence of matters in question.  We've seen it with the pandemic; we've even seen it to some degree with the Tibetans and the Uyghurs.

Is what our government doing enough?  Definitely not.  But given how long it's taken to get to this stage of acceptance of responsibility, I'm hopeful that "enough" might be achieved within my lifetime.  Maybe not with the current government, maybe not with the next few elected governments, but it seems like the political will is there; it's now a matter of action.

And yes, perhaps it's time for its own thread.

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, BoKnows said:

The Pope might issue an apology to get people off his back, but won't do anything further than that. 

Out of curiosity what more could he do than that?  

In the grand scheme of things should he be responsible, serve atonement or forced to give some sort of reimbursement/recompense for the crimes committed by certain evil people that follow/practice the same religion in the past?

Help me understand the rationale behind this.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

30 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Out of curiosity what more could he do than that?  

In the grand scheme of things should he be responsible, serve atonement or forced to give some sort of reimbursement/recompense for the crimes committed by certain evil people that follow/practice the same religion in the past?

Help me understand the rationale behind this.

Maybe donate money or build something idk.  Do something that really says you're sorry.

• Hydration 1

11 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Maybe donate money or build something idk.  Do something that really says you're sorry.

I find it’s tough because the people of today are not the people of yesterday which is a valid point but that doesn’t take away from the fact that some of the people of yesterday were horrible people. To me it’s all very grey and really unfortunate since we want to have someone to pin the blame on. 

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and properly punish these sort of people(talking an automatic gun up the ass) and bring the victims(prior to becoming) to our era to see how much better the world is. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Hydration 1

12 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So why are they suddenly investigating all of these suspected gravesites? Why wasn't this a thing eons ago? 

As usual a lot of people are coming to conclusions without knowing much detail. The existence of these graves were known during the reconciliation process. Identifying remains to particular families will be very difficult. I suspect the cause of death will vary. A high % will likely be tuberculosis. The idea that people would be buried without a marker is hard to fathom especially since these schools were being ran by religious people. 

Some of these schools were started in the 1860’s. When the Civil War started the bodies of the dead were left in the fields for the animals. Nothing else but a full accounting will do on this history. People have to know.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So why are they suddenly investigating all of these suspected gravesites? Why wasn't this a thing eons ago? 

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

As usual a lot of people are coming to conclusions without knowing much detail. The existence of these graves were known during the reconciliation process. Identifying remains to particular families will be very difficult. I suspect the cause of death will vary. A high % will likely be tuberculosis. The idea that people would be buried without a marker is hard to fathom especially since these schools were being ran by religious people. 

Some of these schools were started in the 1860’s. When the Civil War started the bodies of the dead were left in the fields for the animals. Nothing else but a full accounting will do on this history. People have to know.

I'll add.  Multi-quote for context.

It seems like the government and of course the victims/victims families/victims bands knew.  It came down to a matter of money and a matter of willingness to get down to the bottom of this.  Harper's government oversaw the TRC, but at the same time refused extra money to dig into this.  

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/the-graves-were-never-a-secret-why-so-many-residential-school-cemeteries-remain-unmarked

https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/harper-government-obstructed-search-for-children-who-died-in-residential-schools-trc/

The graves were never a secret: Why so many residential school cemeteries remain unmarked

Indian Affairs refused to ship home children's bodies because of the cost; it follows that most were buried on or near school grounds

Harper government obstructed search for children who died in residential schools: TRC

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I'll add.  Multi-quote for context.

It seems like the government and of course the victims/victims families/victims bands knew.  It came down to a matter of money and a matter of willingness to get down to the bottom of this.  Harper's government oversaw the TRC, but at the same time refused extra money to dig into this.  

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/the-graves-were-never-a-secret-why-so-many-residential-school-cemeteries-remain-unmarked

https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/harper-government-obstructed-search-for-children-who-died-in-residential-schools-trc/

The graves were never a secret: Why so many residential school cemeteries remain unmarked

Indian Affairs refused to ship home children's bodies because of the cost; it follows that most were buried on or near school grounds

Harper government obstructed search for children who died in residential schools: TRC

Canada did not ship our dead back home from WW I or II because of cost. As a nation I think much was lost as there is no national cemetery that citizens can view the sacrifice made by so many. Pictures of graveyards in Europe are not enough. 

Based on how the indigenous community feels perhaps a national cemetery for these remains should be done.

• Hydration 1

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Canada did not ship our dead back home from WW I or II because of cost. As a nation I think much was lost as there is no national cemetery that citizens can view the sacrifice made by so many. Pictures of graveyards in Europe are not enough. 

Based on how the indigenous community feels perhaps a national cemetery for these remains should be done.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about the practices of the indigenous peoples here in terms of handling the remains of their fallen, but as a fellow human I would expect that unless it's to relocate those remains to where "home" would be for them, they'll likely not want the remains disturbed, and would probably not want their fallen to be part of a national cemetary, unless the cemetary was specific to their own nation.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Just to confuse matters a bit more - I've heard that many/some of these graves had markers but the markers were taken down for some reason.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/06/24/news/bennett-apologizes-wilson-raybould-minister-tweet-racist-pension

TTAWA — Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett has apologized after she was called out for a one-word text message to Independent MP Jody Wilson-Raybould.

Bennett messaged the word "Pension?" in response to Wilson-Raybould's tweet seeking concrete federal action as a Saskatchewan First Nation announced 751 unmarked graves have been found on the site of a former Indigenous residential school in that province.

The pension response was in reaction to Wilson-Raybould's further call that the prime minister quit his "selfish jockeying" for a federal election Wilson-Raybould says "no one" wants.

Members of Parliament must serve for six years before becoming eligible for a pension and Wilson-Raybould, elected in October 2015, would miss that mark if she were not re-elected in a fall vote.

She fired back at Bennett, saying the minister's tweet was both racist and misogynistic, prompting a quick apology from the minister.

Bennett's online post said she had apologized directly to Wilson-Raybould but neither politician has responded to requests for further details."

I would not apolagize.

Nothing Bennett said in her one word email is racist or even mysoganistic imo.

Some people would say that Bennett should have realized Raybould could take it as a racist attack, however why should anyone have to think,"I need to treat this person differently than others because they are of a different skin colour"

Treating people diffrently because of their race, is racist is it not?

That said Bennet is a bit of an idiot, and probably shouldn't have the job to begin with.

• Hydration 1

Canada's Trudeau aims for September snap election - report

Fri 25 Jun 2021 19:09:00 GMT

Canadian election coming

Canadian election coming

Trudeau is riding high with Canada's vaccine rollout amongst the best in the world. The country leads the world in first doses delivered and cases have fallen dramatically in the last month or so.

Trudeau is aiming to parlay that result into a majority government. He currently governs with a loose minority and opposition parties are a bit of a mess right now. It is widely anticipated that he will call an election sometime in the Sept-Oct period.

Reuters reports, citing sources, that his preferred strategy is to trigger a five-week campaign in August. They also said no final decision has been taken and plans could change.

Investors may not like the idea of a Trudeau government because he could use it to raise taxes on capital gains, the wealthy or corporations. Largely though, Trudeau hasn't shown much concern about deficits and with a majority government, he could pursue some large infrastructure investments. Housing will be a particular concern with Canadian prices at stratospheric levels.

• -SN- changed the title to Canadian Federal Election Thread
  • -SN- pinned this topic