Canucks Community

Canadian Federal Election Thread

Ryan Strome

15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Canada's Trudeau aims for September snap election - report

Fri 25 Jun 2021 19:09:00 GMT

Canadian election coming

Canadian election coming

Trudeau is riding high with Canada's vaccine rollout amongst the best in the world. The country leads the world in first doses delivered and cases have fallen dramatically in the last month or so.

Trudeau is aiming to parlay that result into a majority government. He currently governs with a loose minority and opposition parties are a bit of a mess right now. It is widely anticipated that he will call an election sometime in the Sept-Oct period.

Reuters reports, citing sources, that his preferred strategy is to trigger a five-week campaign in August. They also said no final decision has been taken and plans could change.

Investors may not like the idea of a Trudeau government because he could use it to raise taxes on capital gains, the wealthy or corporations. Largely though, Trudeau hasn't shown much concern about deficits and with a majority government, he could pursue some large infrastructure investments. Housing will be a particular concern with Canadian prices at stratospheric levels.

September is a great time for him to do this, cases should be very low. I wonder how long Elections Canada needs to get mail in ballots ready? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

September is a great time for him to do this, cases should be very low. I wonder how long Elections Canada needs to get mail in ballots ready? 

It is a good time.

Libs are riding high, the Greens have face planted, the Cons are still chasing their tails and the NDP are the NDP. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

It is a good time.

Libs are riding high, the Greens have face planted, the Cons are still chasing their tails and the NDP are the NDP. 

pretty much. He may still end up with a minority, but it forces the CPC to re-set, yet again. 

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Canada's Trudeau aims for September snap election - report

Fri 25 Jun 2021 19:09:00 GMT

Canadian election coming

Canadian election coming

Trudeau is riding high with Canada's vaccine rollout amongst the best in the world. The country leads the world in first doses delivered and cases have fallen dramatically in the last month or so.

Trudeau is aiming to parlay that result into a majority government. He currently governs with a loose minority and opposition parties are a bit of a mess right now. It is widely anticipated that he will call an election sometime in the Sept-Oct period.

Reuters reports, citing sources, that his preferred strategy is to trigger a five-week campaign in August. They also said no final decision has been taken and plans could change.

Investors may not like the idea of a Trudeau government because he could use it to raise taxes on capital gains, the wealthy or corporations. Largely though, Trudeau hasn't shown much concern about deficits and with a majority government, he could pursue some large infrastructure investments. Housing will be a particular concern with Canadian prices at stratospheric levels.

Awful....

I honestly want his cabinet nowhere NEAR a majority mandate.  But this is politcking at its finest.

He knows the greens are over, completely.  He knows the NDP will NEVER garner seats in Quebec and likely Ontario and the green ridings are now to be split between ndp/liberals in BC.  He also knows that the Cons are as dysfunctional as they get.  The absolute anger at Ford in Ontario will translate in to votes.  Kenney in Alberta might even lead to a few extra liberal seats in Alberta if Trudeau can show he got a pipeline built, gave Alberta money hand over fist and that the cons essentially blocked him from delivering it to the proper people.

The idea of him taking a majority mandate with his cabinet of merry twits is nauseating.  But not nearly as much as knowing they might ACTUALLY be the best of the bunch.

How the hell is this what we have as leadership in this country?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

where is that graphic from? 

It's a facebook creation and it bothers me.

715 dead first nations children were not found.  715 pings or possible body sites were found in an area that was once a known graveyard until the 60s when headstones and more were removed.

People immediately jumped on that as though it was another 715 bodies of first nations children which is untrue and only dramatizes an already tense and awful situation.  We don't NEED to fudge numbers for people to understand how awful this is and once this hit facebook people assumed it was dead residential school children and went nuts.

The Chopaka and Hedley catholic churches burned last night, making it 4 in the Okanagan in the last 2 weeks.  In the middle of a damned heat wave.  Enflaming the anger by fudging the numbers is irresponsible and foolish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

715 dead first nations children were not found.  715 pings or possible body sites were found in an area that was once a known graveyard until the 60s when headstones and more were removed.

People immediately jumped on that as though it was another 715 bodies of first nations children which is untrue and only dramatizes an already tense and awful situation.  We don't NEED to fudge numbers for people to understand how awful this is and once this hit facebook people assumed it was dead residential school children and went nuts.

The Chopaka and Hedley catholic churches burned last night, making it 4 in the Okanagan in the last 2 weeks.  In the middle of a damned heat wave.  Enflaming the anger by fudging the numbers is irresponsible and foolish

Waited for you to chime in about this.

Thank you, I knew you would give some perspective.

It obviously has been a long time coming for this discussion to reach the masses. Some acknowledgement of this awful history. It's unfortunate that numbers may be being inflated or fudged and are leading to reactions such as the burning churches.  

50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Awful....

I honestly want his cabinet nowhere NEAR a majority mandate.  But this is politcking at its finest.

He knows the greens are over, completely.  He knows the NDP will NEVER garner seats in Quebec and likely Ontario and the green ridings are now to be split between ndp/liberals in BC.  He also knows that the Cons are as dysfunctional as they get.  The absolute anger at Ford in Ontario will translate in to votes.  Kenney in Alberta might even lead to a few extra liberal seats in Alberta if Trudeau can show he got a pipeline built, gave Alberta money hand over fist and that the cons essentially blocked him from delivering it to the proper people.

The idea of him taking a majority mandate with his cabinet of merry twits is nauseating.  But not nearly as much as knowing they might ACTUALLY be the best of the bunch.

How the hell is this what we have as leadership in this country?

The Cons are making the same mistakes the Liberals did when they ran unelectable nobodies like Stephane Dion and Michael Ignatief. Andrew Scheer was a nobody. He lost and was unceremoniously dumped. Then they doubled down on lunacy by making Erin O'Toole their leader. He's unelectable too.

I am of the opinion it's time for Trudeau to go, but he ain't going anywhere until they select someone who can actually defeat him. It's only a question of whether the Liberals get a majority or not this time.

Edited by nuckin_futz

52 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

thanks, something didn't feel right with that. 

52 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

it is, but I can see why some people would act out. Church leadership has to step up in a much better way. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it is, but I can see why some people would act out. Church leadership has to step up in a much better way. 

Don't burn down assets that should be sold as reparations.

Also as some point a person could be in the church that gets lit up.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Don't burn down assets that should be sold as reparations.

Also as some point a person could be in the church that gets lit up.

I'm not condoning it. But the silence from Catholic leadership and the dumb comments by priests are not helping. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not condoning it. But the silence from Catholic leadership and the dumb comments by priests are not helping. 

What was the reason for these schools anyway?  They just sound like an evil idea.  

43 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The Cons are making the same mistakes the Liberals did when they ran unelectable nobodies like Stephane Dion and Michael Ignatief. Andrew Scheer was a nobody. He lost and was unceremoniously dumped. Then they doubled down on lunacy by making Erin O'Toole their leader. He's unelectable too.

I am of the opinion it's time for Trudeau to go, but he ain't going anywhere until they select someone who can actually defeat him. It's only a question of whether the Liberals get a majority or not this time.

The Canadian Liberals are further right than most far right parties in Europe.

I honestly don't really understand what the Canadian public wants anymore, although it doesn't help that I don't live there. It seems like the status quo is an acceptable platform, but and I guess it doesn't matter when the Liberal party royally f---s up with things like the SNC Lavalin, because even though that happens they still steer the Canadian ship where most people are only mildly annoyed and not a large minority portion that are extremely angry, which has it's positives and negatives.

I mean I consider myself conservative on the whole, but I also believe in things like women's rights and gay rights so when I hear things like the CPC sounding like American Republicans I shake my head and wonder why they would even say those things? Like what base are they appealing to? My 65 year old stoner uncle Leaf fan who is a conspiracy nut? I love the guy but he says a lot of strange s---, and he is a small loud minority that should just be ignored, even if they occasionally piss people off. And even though I know my Uncle is that kind of person, I know he doesn't really have two thoughts to put together when it comes to things like women's rights and gay rights, I don't think he cares one way or the other, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

Edited by canuckster19
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

I know he doesn't really have two thoughts to put together when it comes to things like women's rights and gay rights, I don't think he cares one way or the other, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

iF you don't care for the rights of others, your own can get diminished or taken away; as other people won't care.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

After Freeland there is a LOT in the Liberal cabinet that just rub me the wrong way in terms of utter entitlement and backwards ideas that will do very little to progress this nation forward.  If Trudeau was smart he'd keep freeland and dump 70% of his cabinet for new blood from the back bench.

It's so sad this is what we get for leadership

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Waited for you to chime in about this.

Thank you, I knew you would give some perspective.

It obviously has been a long time coming for this discussion to reach the masses. Some acknowledgement of this awful history. It's unfortunate that numbers may be being inflated or fudged and are leading to reactions such as the burning churches.  

That particular residential school had a more brutal reputation than most.  It was one of the schools in which government sanctioned experiments occurred against first nations kids.

But there is no reason to jump to conclusions.  That is/was a known gravesite for no less than 3 different townships in the area.  read up on the history and you see that gravemarkers were removed in the 60s for some reason.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's so sad this is what we get for leadership

And the folk on the right will not understand being anti-conservative party, is not the same thing as being a liberal supporter.

Despite multitudes of "lefties" saying basically what you just did.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

iF you don't care for the rights of others, your own can get diminished or taken away; as other people won't care.

Why does a 65 year old's lack of opinion, with no kids might I add, matter? My point is if most conservatives don't have a strong opinion one way or another with regards to those things, why would a CPC leader even make it a platform when they know it would potentially alienate more voters than it would garner?

• Upvote 1

• -SN- changed the title to Canadian Federal Election Thread
  • -SN- pinned this topic