The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Federal Election Thread

Ryan Strome

55 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thanks, something didn't feel right with that. 

it is, but I can see why some people would act out. Church leadership has to step up in a much better way. 

Church leadership is about as deaf and insensitive as one can think.

In Penticton the catholic church literally got called out and said, well we have no comment on this.  Now their billboard has an "every child matters" banner and it's about as deaf to the situation as one could get.

Burning these old icons down does nothing, absolutely NOTHING.  They could be used nation wide as holders of memorials for their past and current evils against first nations and visible minorities world wide but instead some idiot is trying to light the valley on fire by erasing them,

51 minutes ago, gurn said:

Don't burn down assets that should be sold as reparations.

Also as some point a person could be in the church that gets lit up.

Setting up memorials to their sins nation wide would be the best option.  Like it or not they are essential to the history of this country and the first nations people within it, as well as visible minorities and orientations that choose canada as home.

They should be marked as historical and made to memorialize the people they abused.

47 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not condoning it. But the silence from Catholic leadership and the dumb comments by priests are not helping. 

We're STILL waiting for something more than flags at half masts or corporations making bank off of orange shirts...

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What was the reason for these schools anyway?  They just sound like an evil idea.  

Alf, if you don't know by now I sincerely cannot help you.

But I will try to point form it

• Churches with government approval stole first nations kids they deemed "heathens" in order to create now catholics
  • The government and churches saw residential schools as a viable option in order to steal land and bring heathens in to line
  • John A MacDonald famously said to beat the savage and breed the savage out of the indian and civilize them.
  • Vital rail routes and resources were safely appropriated by holding first nations children hostage

And so much more...it was genuinely just an awful idea on how to remove and entire people deemed "in the way" at the time

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

And the folk on the right will not understand being anti-conservative party, is not the same thing as being a liberal supporter.

Despite multitudes of "lefties" saying basically what you just did.

I am about as centrist as they come.

The older i get the more truly "conservative" I get.  But TRULY conservative.

Meaning I want to conserve resources, parks, land and our history as ugly as it is.  I want to conserve the right to be who we want, I want to conserve freedom with less government oversight.  I want to conserve the right to own a home and to keep our tax dollars out of corporate hands.

Whatever is passing as conservative or liberal this day is currently so out of synch with what the party mandates are that I can't even fathom how people can pretend one side is different than the other

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Meaning I want to conserve resources, parks, land and our history as ugly as it is.  I want to conserve the right to be who we want, I want to conserve freedom with less government oversight.  I want to conserve the right to own a home and to keep our tax dollars out of corporate hands.

Whatever is passing as conservative or liberal this day is currently so out of synch with what the party mandates are that I can't even fathom how people can pretend one side is different than the other

Conservative politics today are stuck in the 2000s. They have needed to get with the times for a long-time. The left are gonna have their way until they do.

As someone on the center-right I don't feel like I have any options.

• Hydration 3

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

there still are some essential differences. Who and what you condone, where money is spent (they all overspend its a matter of where), how you view the charter and role of the courts, these things do matter. 

I do agree tho in Canada the daily lives of most of us don't shift all that much the vast majority of time when our governments do. I happen to think thats a very good thing that we don't experience massive mood swings or big changes in our lives, it means we have some solid institutions in place. 

But... then we have things like residential schools that fester through inaction. So yeah, we need better still. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It's a facebook creation and it bothers me.

715 dead first nations children were not found.  715 pings or possible body sites were found in an area that was once a known graveyard until the 60s when headstones and more were removed.

People immediately jumped on that as though it was another 715 bodies of first nations children which is untrue and only dramatizes an already tense and awful situation.  We don't NEED to fudge numbers for people to understand how awful this is and once this hit facebook people assumed it was dead residential school children and went nuts.

The Chopaka and Hedley catholic churches burned last night, making it 4 in the Okanagan in the last 2 weeks.  In the middle of a damned heat wave.  Enflaming the anger by fudging the numbers is irresponsible and foolish

One of these are going to catch a forest or close house on fire sooner than later and it'll destroy towns and reserves.  I understand people are pissed, and the churches aren't showing as much sympathy as some want but common sense should play a part here when thinking "oh hey I should burn a church down". 

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Conservative politics today are stuck in the 2000s. They have needed to get with the times for a long-time. The left are gonna have their way until they do.

Same.  During the last election I didn't know until I walked up to the booth if I wanted to go right with Scheer or left with Trudeau as I couldn't stand either and Scheer seemed to the most incompetent's person humanly possible. Cons are doomed until they change their leadership to someone younger and actually has a grasp of what Canada needs rather than sticking with ideas form 20 years ago, times have changed but most of their old guard haven't.

Until then Trudeau is going to run this country as a minority with Bloc and NDP probably being the 2 parties to decide policies as the minorities.  

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I used to vote PC before the merger with the social con's. There isn't a right wing option that doesn't force you to put up with social conservatives who don't have the economy as their main priority. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

image.jpeg.6945e4773a2d6ab16b6fd1c420ffee90.jpeg

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/catherine-mckenna-retiring-from-politics-will-not-run-in-next-election-1.5487686

Catherine McKenna retiring from politics, will not run in next election

OTTAWA -- Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna has decided not to seek re-election.

Her surprise decision opens up some prime political real estate that could become a launching pad for former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney should he decide to run for the Liberals in the next election.

McKenna has held Ottawa Centre, a riding that encompasses Parliament Hill, since 2015, when she wrestled it away from the New Democrats.

Carney has not committed to running but promised in April, during his political debut at the Liberal party's virtual convention, to do whatever he can to support the party.

McKenna is to hold a news conference Monday to announce her decision to stand down in the next election, but an advance copy of her remarks was obtained Sunday by The Canadian Press.

"When I got into politics now eight years ago, I made two simple promises to myself: always fight for what I believe in and leave when I had done what I got into politics to do," the speech reads.

She says she wants to spend more time with her three children and devote her professional energies to the fight against climate change.

Kind of a surprise - she was a fairly high-profile minister.  And another woman leaving the Liberal Party ranks.

Also, since she was first elected in October 2015, if the election is called in September (as many suspect) she's going to be short of her six years for a pension.

On 6/27/2021 at 7:37 AM, Russ said:

Cons are doomed until they change their leadership to someone younger and actually has a grasp of what Canada needs

The problem is, look at their youth....

Pierre Poiliverre

The Conversion happy kid

The kid with homophobic anti abortion stances

Their youth ARE the social conservative voice and THAT is the issue.  They don't have conservative youth, they have social Conservative youth and not a damned one of them have actually ever worked.  Literally in office right after school or from church and Poiliverre has literally less job experience than Scheer

• Hydration 1

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/catherine-mckenna-retiring-from-politics-will-not-run-in-next-election-1.5487686

Kind of a surprise - she was a fairly high-profile minister.  And another woman leaving the Liberal Party ranks.

Also, since she was first elected in October 2015, if the election is called in September (as many suspect) she's going to be short of her six years for a pension.

Shes likely making room for Mark Carney. With him running and also being the obvious next finance minister the CPC has nothing to match that. A lot of con's wont mind him in that role one bit.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The problem is, look at their youth....

Pierre Poiliverre

The Conversion happy kid

The kid with homophobic anti abortion stances

Their youth ARE the social conservative voice and THAT is the issue.  They don't have conservative youth, they have social Conservative youth and not a damned one of them have actually ever worked.  Literally in office right after school or from church and Poiliverre has literally less job experience than Scheer

Well dont forget Poutine did have a robocall company. 

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Shes likely making room for Mark Carney. With him running and also being the obvious next finance minister the CPC has nothing to match that. A lot of con's wont mind him in that role one bit.

Plus she's also been targeted with hate messages, including her constituency office being severely vandalized with misogynistic words unfit for print.  Under that kind of constant, overt, and hateful pressure, and knowing that she can do as good or better a job (on her intended goals when she first took up public office) as a private citizen in a different public role where the spotlight isn't as frequently on her, the choice is kind of easy in that sense.

By the way, 6 years is a bit of a short time to have a full pension on the public purse.  I think you should have to survive three elections or 10 years (whichever comes first) before being eligible for a lifetime taxpayer-funded benefit.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Well dont forget Poutine did have a robocall company. 

He was also Harpers yes man for years and did EXACTLY what he accuses others of doing for trudeau

I loathe that miscreant and sad excuse for a "leader"

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He was also Harpers yes man for years and did EXACTLY what he accuses others of doing for trudeau

I loathe that miscreant and sad excuse for a "leader"

I really hope they pick PP as the next CPC leader. But then again, I kind of don't, I think change is good after 8-10 years of any federal government. But if they don't smarten up and pick someone like Ambrose or someone in that category with wider appeal and less socially conservative I think they stand a chance of 3rd party status again.

E.g., say Mark Carney had decided to run with the CPC. I think they'd win a minority gov't, maybe even a slim majority. 

25 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Plus she's also been targeted with hate messages, including her constituency office being severely vandalized with misogynistic words unfit for print.  Under that kind of constant, overt, and hateful pressure, and knowing that she can do as good or better a job (on her intended goals when she first took up public office) as a private citizen in a different public role where the spotlight isn't as frequently on her, the choice is kind of easy in that sense.

By the way, 6 years is a bit of a short time to have a full pension on the public purse.  I think you should have to survive three elections or 10 years (whichever comes first) before being eligible for a lifetime taxpayer-funded benefit.

yup that got very ugly. People on the right who feel persecuted. by lefties need to have a look at that situation. 

• Hydration 1

And the GReen Party makes the news again; with continuing leadership issue:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/green-party-president-drops-the-gauntlet-on-annamie-paul-s-leadership/ar-AALFkk3?ocid=msedgntp

Green Party Leader Annamie Paul is back under fire after interim president Liana Cusmano confirmed to party members that the Federal Council will pursue a non-confidence vote on her leadership.

During a town hall meeting with party members Tuesday, Cusmano read a letter outlining the allegations against Paul that claim she failed in her obligations as leader, justifying the move. 

“This vote of non-confidence is important and the most consequential thing that has ever been undertaken at the Green Party of Canada. We do not take this matter, or the decision to hold this vote, lightly,” Cusmano told members. “But we know this: The Green Party deserves strong, thoughtful, action-oriented leadership that aligns with the values and policies of the party.

“Moreover, we believe a leader unites instead of divides. All of this will be tested on July 20th.”

Paul pushed back hard.

“These actions by the president are unprecedented in the history of the Green Party,” she said. “I have said before that when people like me achieve positions of senior authority, all of a sudden, the rules change and the goalposts are moved.

“However, a small group of rogue councillors, whose terms will expire in August, will not deter or distract me from the mandate I was given by our members last October, or the important work that they elected me to do.”

Among the allegations Cusmano read to members are that Paul failed “to openly condemn the actions of Noah Zatzman” — her former political adviser who publicly threatened to try to defeat sitting Green MPs who spoke out against Israel bombing Gaza — failed “to collaborate with and support members of the caucus,” and failed “to respond to communications from the party’s chief agent, units of the party, and members of the party regarding Mr. Zatzman.

“It is further alleged that the failure to meet her obligations as leader has caused the defection of a member of our caucus to another party, intangible damage to the party in the form of impairment to the party's reputation, cancelled memberships, reduced donations, and withdrawals of potential candidates for the upcoming general election,” Cusmano said.

Cancelled memberships, and the lost revenue that entails, are understood to be significant contributing factors behind the decision to reportedly lay off staff ahead of an expected federal election call.

Video: Annamie Paul elected as new federal Green Party leader (Global News)

Play Video
Annamie Paul elected as new federal Green Party leader

Zatzman disputed the allegations in the letter, calling on the party to walk back its remarks.

“If the party does not immediately retract this attached statement that was just read out publicly, I will begin legal action,” Zatzman wrote in an email to Cusmano and interim executive director Dana Taylor that was viewed by Canada’s National Observer, copying a host of other party emails.

“Liana, your conduct is truly appalling, your statement contains alternative facts, and you should be ashamed of yourself for these Soviet-style tactics,” he wrote. “This is Canada — a free and open democracy — your actions are autocratic, borderline Orwellian, and wrong; and have caused me great harm.”

Cusmano did not immediately return a request for comment.

One notable candidate who dropped out over the infighting is Dr. Lisa Gunderson, who announced on June 19 that she was withdrawing from the nomination contest to represent Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke, citing concerns that “recent events are not consistent with Green values” at the time. On Monday, Gunderson announced a new target in her sights: A vice-president role on the party’s Federal Council.

“This is a critical moment for the Green Party of Canada and its future, and we need a Federal Council that can truly listen and work collaboratively for our party’s success,” she said in a statement.

Green Party members across the country are running for spots on the Federal Council, with voting scheduled to close July 12, and results announced on Aug. 19.

Cusmano’s town hall meeting with members comes on the heels of recent public disagreements among the party’s top brass. Paul told the Globe and Mail the Federal Council was no longer requiring her to renounce Zatzman, pushing Cusmano to tell the Canadian Press that was false.

Earlier this month following a heated press conference, where Paul accused her detractors on the Federal Council of “racist” and “sexist” remarks after trying to topple her, Paul took to social media to say that “Collaboration and collegiality doesn't require bowing down. It doesn’t mean being brought to heel or giving into ultimatums.”

If on July 20, at least 75 per cent of councillors support a non-confidence vote, then Paul’s leadership will be put to a vote at a general members meeting Aug. 21. Previously, Paul was told she could avoid a non-confidence vote by publicly renouncing Zatzman, but to date, she has not.

John Woodside, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, National Observer

1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Why anyone who isn't a die-hard Green supporter would vote Green in the upcoming election is beyond me.  I'd love to hear the rationale.  

It's a mess for sure....

It's too bad, because I think it's healthy to have that alternative, but they've really crapped the bed here and it might have just killed them. Maybe someone will start up a "Jade" or "Sage" party.....

Come to think of it, I bet a lot of stoners would vote for the "Grass" party....B)

• Hydration 1

• -SN- changed the title to Canadian Federal Election Thread
  • -SN- pinned this topic