The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Federal Election Thread

Ryan Strome

On 10/1/2021 at 11:18 AM, JM_ said:

with buck a beer, thats a 1/2 sack every 2 months dude.

That was a lie :(

Kinda late to the party here but I have 2 cents. I agree that Trudeau should get a day off, but he picked a bad day to take off in my opinion. The leader of our country should be out there leading by example and not taking a personal day. It's almost pathetic how low the bar has come for politicians.

37 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

That was a lie :(

Kinda late to the party here but I have 2 cents. I agree that Trudeau should get a day off, but he picked a bad day to take off in my opinion. The leader of our country should be out there leading by example and not taking a personal day. It's almost pathetic how low the bar has come for politicians.

yeah the optics were crap. Its one of the many reasons I'd love to see Freeland take over.

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah the optics were crap. Its one of the many reasons I'd love to see Freeland take over.

Some one out there just read your post, and is wondering outraged that you are once again defending Trudeau.

I don't know how many times it needs to be pointed out to some people; Trudeau is not a good choice as Prime Minster, but he has been the better choice for 3 elections now.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Some one out there just read your post, and is wondering outraged that you are once again defending Trudeau.

I don't know how many times it needs to be pointed out to some people; Trudeau is not a good choice as Prime Minster, but he has been the better choice for 3 elections now.

Trudeau is just there for the photo ops while Freeland does most of the heavy lifting.  Current arrangement works as she's basically left alone to do her job.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

but I'm not defending him :lol:

• Upvote 1

The Green Party gong show continues.  On Sunday, Evan Solomon had an interview with Elizabeth May wherein May pushed back against some of the claims made by Annamie Paul and some of her supporters:

Then, today, Solomon had an interview with Jim Harris who was the leader of the Green Party before May.  He also had some criiticisms of Paul:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/conservatives-have-a-vaccine-problem/ar-AAPNLSn?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

You have to hand it to the Conservatives. Having just lost to Justin Trudeau and his Liberals in the federal election, they’re now working overtime to ensure the Grits win the next one by refusing to come clean on vaccines.

We’re now 20-odd months into this pandemic and seven months into the era of mass vaccination, and the Conservatives still won’t say how many of their MPs are vaccinated. Given vaccines are the best way out of our current heavily-prescribed reality, this is akin to admitting you don’t want to drink water after wandering for years in a desert. It’s enough to make the neutral observer wonder if you’re really just messed up in the head.

This isn’t to say there aren’t reasons to sidestep a vaccination. There are valid medical reasons. There are less-valid religious reasons (in term of public health). But unless those are stated clearly, people will assume more exotic reasons, namely that some people in the party listen to people who are really messed up in the head about vaccines, claiming they’re a bizarre plot orchestrated by Bill Gates or Big Pharma. More importantly, as long as party policy is to keep schtum about vaccinations, it invites people to guess the number of vaccine-resisters in caucus. It might only be a handful. On the other hand, it could be dozens. That the party is obstinate in its silence suggests it’s the latter, not the former. 

READ: Quebec delays its vaccine mandate for health-care workers

For all of the back and forth in Conservative salons about why they lost the last election, not enough time has been spent talking about the elephant in the room: a muddled vaccine policy. What shade of blue Erin O’Toole is pales in comparison, in terms of a factor in the election loss, to the party being offside with 80 per cent of Canadians’ views on vaccinations. Canadians wanted straight talk on vaccines and vaccine policy, and the Conservatives danced around like prime Travolta. It worked as long as the focus was on Justin Trudeau’s unnecessary election call, but once the conversation shifted to the COVID bonfires in Alberta and Saskatchewan it became a weight around the party’s neck.

The drivers of the People’s Party vote had a lot to do with vaccination policies and fears around government overreach. If you want to stick two fingers up to Billy Boy Gates then Maxime Bernier is your man. All the more reason then, for the Conservatives to support vaccines and vaccine mandates ahead of the next election, whenever that should come.

You’d reckon the last thing Erin O’Toole would want to face in the next campaign was a PPC with a raison d’être. Getting past the pandemic is the surest way to inoculate Canada against Bernier and his band of unmasked bandits and steer the conversation back to the places O’Toole was trying to, on jobs, wages and economic opportunity. So get there already.

Getting there would also give O’Toole a chance to demonstrate leadership. That the vaccines work is beyond dispute (even if we’re not yet sure how long they confer protection). That they reduce serious illness and hospitalizations is equally clear. That the side effects are rare and nothing at all when compared to the impacts of COVID-19 infection is clear. So, too, is the fact we’ve used vaccines for decades and made entry to certain places conditional on having them. If O’Toole can’t get his caucus to the correct place on vaccines he doesn’t deserve to lead the country. 

Doing things like objecting to the “secretive” Board of Internal Economy dictating the House of Commons’ position on vaccine mandates for Parliament, as the Conservatives did this week, is to both score a point and miss it completely. Yes, it should have been a vote in the full House of Commons, but that’s not really the objection here, is it? The full vote will come soon enough and then the problem will be laid bare for all to see. 

But don’t Canadians who have reservations about vaccines deserve a voice in the House of Commons? Sure, but there’s no reason that voice can’t belong to someone who is fully vaccinated. We already know the vaccine-resistant and hesitant aren’t responding to the government’s entreaties; watching the Conservatives duck the conversation gives them extra cover. They probably won’t listen to anyone, but surely it’s better to say you’ve tried, especially when the vast majority of Canadians are watching and wondering where you stand.

Like it or not, the only way out of pandemic hell is maximum vaccination. Indulging those who remain resistant will only prolong the pain and economic damage. More importantly for partisans, indulging the laggards won’t increase the share of accessible vote. And with an election coming sooner than later, surely it’s better to fight the next one without any pandemic restrictions in place.

Andrew MacDougall is a director at Trafalgar Strategy, and a former Head of Communications to Prime Minister Stephen Harper

• Like 1

^ More reports and stories beginning to bubble up from the Stephen Harper cronies.

I feel like I'm the poster here, that is "always on the lookout for" various previous trolls. e.g. Desi etc

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

^ More reports and stories beginning to bubble up from the Stephen Harper cronies.

I feel like I'm the poster here, that is "always on the lookout for" various previous trolls. e.g. Desi etc

I think a lot of Canadians have some conservative values, but the Conservatives of today (and recently) are beyond what’s normal conservatism.  It’s like they are sneaking (not so covert either) their way to a US right of centre Conservative way.  Are our BC Liberals still (basically) pretty far right Conservatives?  Christy and the gang.  Just some bad people.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, gurn said:

you're like the last lighthouse keeper, watching for the big white whale.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think a lot of Canadians have some conservative values, but the Conservatives of today (and recently) are beyond what’s normal conservatism.  It’s like they are sneaking (not so covert either) their way to a US right of centre Conservative way.  Are our BC Liberals still (basically) pretty far right Conservatives?  Christy and the gang.  Just some bad people.  

its a real shame that BC doesn't have a legitimate opposition party, Horgan is doing some dumb things and getting away with it scot free.

I do hope that Trudeau decides to hang them up sometime in the next year, Freeland should be running things now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

its a real shame that BC doesn't have a legitimate opposition party, Horgan is doing some dumb things and getting away with it scot free.

I do hope that Trudeau decides to hang them up sometime in the next year, Freeland should be running things now.

I think she's quietly running things in the background and letting Trudeau take all the heat already.  Very intelligent woman and an excellent negotiator.

• Vintage 1

The Cons are against continuing MPs to virtually vote and participate from their homes or offices, so a vaccine mandate would probably prevent some of their members from participating in-person.  The committee decision was most likely approved by the Liberals, New Democrats, and Bloc Quebecois, whose caucuses are all fully vaccinated.  

I say F them.  Most likely unvaccinated Cons are such due to bs conspiracies.  No sympathy.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/conservatives-say-they-re-against-decision-to-make-covid-19-vaccines-mandatory-for-mps-1.5630852

Conservatives say they're against decision to make COVID-19 vaccines mandatory for MPs

• Vintage 1

Green party woes continue to drag on, and on:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/green-party-to-drop-legal-action-against-annamie-paul-as-discussions-drag-on/ar-AAPPWXL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

OTTAWA — Green Party executives have opted to drop a legal challenge against their leader that brought tensions between senior officials and Annamie Paul to a boil last summer.

Two senior party members who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter say members of the federal council and the Green Party of Canada Fund met over the past week to call off their court action.

Paul launched an arbitration last summer related to her employment contract and moves by party brass to oust her through a non-confidence vote and a membership suspension — both were halted by the independent arbitrator.

In response, several senior officials filed a legal challenge on behalf of the party against Paul that questioned the arbitrator's decision.

The disputes have added to the party's financial woes, which Green executives cited afterthey laid off more than half their staff this week and continued to hold out on the compensation Paul is seeking for her legal fees.

Paul still occupies the leader's chair — a spot that gives her some leverage in ongoing legal wrangling — after announcing last month she would step down following an election that returned two Greens to the House of Commons but saw the party's share of the popular vote tumble to two per cent following months of internal strife.The party ran only 252 candidates in the country's 338 seats.

The Green Party and Paul's office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

In an email blast to membership obtained by The Canadian Press, Green Party president Lorraine Rekmans said its finances need to find a "sustainable footing." That need prompted the layoff of 11 core staffers this week, she wrote Tuesday.

"The decision to lay off so many of our long-serving staff has been very difficult," Rekmans said in the statement.

Greens face a "financial crisis," said John Willson and Corrina Serda, co-presidents of the party's fund — treasurer for the federal council, which is the Greens' main governing body. The party has been running large monthly deficits since February, they said in the email blast.

The party is now refocusing staff on fundraising as well as "member re-engagement" and finance and IT support, the fund heads said, while communications and mobilization take a back seat following the election on Sept. 20.

Greens raised about $1.36 million in the first two quarters of 2021 compared to about $1.2 million in the same period a year earlier — before Paul took the helm in October 2020 — according to Elections Canada filings.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 22, 2021.

Christopher Reynolds, The Canadian Press

19 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The Cons are against continuing MPs to virtually vote and participate from their homes or offices, so a vaccine mandate would probably prevent some of their members from participating in-person.  The committee decision was most likely approved by the Liberals, New Democrats, and Bloc Quebecois, whose caucuses are all fully vaccinated.  

I say F them.  Most likely unvaccinated Cons are such due to bs conspiracies.  No sympathy.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/conservatives-say-they-re-against-decision-to-make-covid-19-vaccines-mandatory-for-mps-1.5630852

Conservatives say they're against decision to make COVID-19 vaccines mandatory for MPs

still scared of the PPC, I guess. 

What a clown show the conservatives have become. 

But, but, foreign money made its way into the hands of Environmental Activists.  There has to be something illegal about that.   Meanwhile, Big Oil...

https://pressprogress.ca/jason-kenneys-anti-alberta-inquiry-finds-no-illegal-activity-little-foreign-funding-to-environmental-activists/

Jason Kenney’s Anti-Alberta Inquiry Finds No Illegal Activity, Little Foreign Funding To Environmental Activists

'I Don’t Care if the Activity is Legal or Illegal' Energy Minister Says

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is the never ending resignation actually, finally ending?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/annamie-paul-hands-in-resignation-as-green-leader-and-quits-the-party/ar-AAQxTOi?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Annamie Paul has formally resigned as leader of the Greens and also handed in her membership card, leaving the future of the party up in the air as it attempts to recover from internal strife and repudiation at the polls.

Paul sent in a resignation letter to the Green Party on Wednesday, which follows her announcement in September of her plans to step down.

The Green leader, the first Black and Jewish woman to lead a major political party in Canada, said a week after the election that leading the Greens had been the worst period of her life.

They returned only two MPs in the Sept. 20 election and Paul failed to win her Toronto Centre riding.

The party's puny showing at the polls followed a period of infighting and sniping at Paul. She faced slurs by Green Party members on Twitter and claimed the party executive did not do enough to protect or support her.

Earlier this year, Paul drew criticism from a number of Greens, including MPs, for not publicly condemning Israel in stronger terms following a fresh outbreak of fighting between Israel and Hamas in Gaza. At least 230 Palestinians and 12 Israelis were killed in the 11-day war.

In a May 10 tweet, Paul called "for an immediate de-escalation in the violence and a return to dialogue as a means to seeking a peaceful resolution."

This dispute played a role in Jenica Atwin's crossing the floor to join the Liberals after first being elected as a Green MP in the 2019 election. She was re-elected as a Liberal last month in Fredericton.

Paul, a lawyer, became Green leader in October 2020, taking over from Elizabeth May.

During the election the Greens were beset by funding issues, and have this year sacked several key staff.

Paul did not visit key target seats during the election because of lack of funding and because some candidates asked for her to stay away so that the party's bitter internal politics did not spill over into their ridings.

Paul complained about a lack of funding, campaign staff or a national campaign manager. Originally $250,000 was earmarked for her local campaign but the funds were nixed by party executives.

During the English leaders debate in the campaign, Paul gave a confident performance which drew accolades for a series of pithy zingers.

A week after the election, she announced her intention to resign, but negotiations with the party, and an ongoing court dispute, meant that she did not step down immediately. Negotiations are continuing, according to two senior party sources who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss matters not public.

Since then, a number of Greens have posted messages of support for Paul. 

Dr. Courtney Howard, who came third after Paul in the last leadership race, tweeted that it meant a lot to have a “strong, intelligent, articulate woman on the stage.”

In a tweet on Wednesday, Paul said it had been an "honour to work for the people of Canada" and that she looked forward to serving in new ways.

The party will now choose an interim leader until there is a fresh election for Paul's successor.

Mark Winfield, a professor at York University who researches the Greens, says the party faces an "existential crisis."

"There are very serious questions about whether they’re going to survive as an entity or an organization. Because in additional to the leadership question there’s also the financial crisis as well," he said, noting the Greens' financial woes, which precede Paul's time at the helm.

“It should be their moment," Winfield said, pointing to greater public awareness of environmental issues. "But it definitely isn’t.

"That’s not because of external factors; it’s entirely internal to the party. They kind of self-destructed," he said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 10, 2021.

Marie Woolf and Christopher Reynolds, The Canadian Press

The reason the Green formed in the first place was to bring awareness to environmental issues. They already succeeded in their goal and now are no longer needed as a party. The environment is a far far more prominent issue then at any time before in our country. The number of people who believe in climate change and that action is necessary is continuously growing. When the NDP and Green environmental platforms are nearly identical, the Liberals have a fairly solid plan and even Conservatives are talking about it there’s just no political oxygen left for the party to survive. I think the only way it does is if it gets back the anti-government vote, which was parked with them for a long time until this year when it moved to the PPC.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:18 PM, thedestroyerofworlds said:

But, but, foreign money made its way into the hands of Environmental Activists.  There has to be something illegal about that.   Meanwhile, Big Oil...

https://pressprogress.ca/jason-kenneys-anti-alberta-inquiry-finds-no-illegal-activity-little-foreign-funding-to-environmental-activists/

Jason Kenney’s Anti-Alberta Inquiry Finds No Illegal Activity, Little Foreign Funding To Environmental Activists

'I Don’t Care if the Activity is Legal or Illegal' Energy Minister Says

pfft, facts.

And now we have Saskatchewan wanting to be a "nation within a nation" :lol::picard: I wonder if I'll get two passports, since i was born there.

Canada's conservatives have become a bad joke.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/saskatchewan-a-e2-80-98nation-within-canada-e2-80-99-premier-scott-moe-says/ar-AAQyIj8

• Cheers 1