The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Liberals win minority government

Like the proverbial stopped clock that is right twice a day, Erin O'Toole has finally said something that I agree with:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/o-toole-calls-for-relocation-of-beijing-olympics-due-to-china-s-genocide-of-uighurs/ar-BB1dJnez?li=AAggXBV

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole is calling on the government to push for a new host for the Beijing Olympics next year amid China's "genocide" against minority Uighurs.

“I think Canadians would agree that it would violate fundamental ethical principles to participate in an Olympic Games hosted by a country that is committing a genocide against part of its population," he said Tuesday.

O'Toole said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau should reach out to the International Olympic Committee to move the 2022 Winter Games.

Canada "should not be sending athletes to China in the middle of a genocide," he said, but stopped short of stating Canada should boycott the Olympics — or step up to host them.

China has been accused of using forced birth control to limit Uighur births and detention camps to indoctrinate the mostly-Muslim minority into mainstream Chinese society.

Beijing has denied any wrongdoing in Xinjiang province, saying it is running a voluntary employment and language-training program.

Trudeau said genocide is an "extremely loaded" term that should be applied cautiously and in strict accordance with internationally recognized criteria, and with a wariness of diluting its gravity.

"There is no question there have been tremendous human rights abuses coming out of Xinjiang," he said Tuesday.

Use of the word must be "properly justified and demonstrated so as not to weaken the application of ‘genocide’ in situations in the past."

Whether the term applies to China is "something we should be looking at in the case of the Uighurs," he said.

The Canadian Olympic Committee and Canadian Paralympic Committee along with the International Olympic Committee "are looking very closely" at calls for relocation of the games, Trudeau added.

O'Toole's demand follows a letter from more than a dozen federal lawmakers from all parties earlier this month who called for relocation due to what they deemed a "genocidal campaign" against Uighurs and other Muslim minorities.

The letter, whose signatories include 13 MPs as well as gold medallist Jean-Luc Brassard, came after a call from some 180 human rights groups to boycott the Beijing games, slated to kick off Feb. 4, 2022.

FTR: I was against China getting the 2008 games as well....

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
On 2/8/2021 at 9:33 PM, wiseupsucker said:

Actually upon further reflection i'm going to leave it at this.

I am a Liberal but I clearly don't support this incarnation of this Liberal party. I have never voted conservative

I am open to all sorts of information out there, but to me(and I am biased-much like you are to be fair) I can't say that the article you provided does enough to sway my opinion.

I think it does a poor job

And that is that

What are your criticisms about this party?

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Like the proverbial stopped clock that is right twice a day, Erin O'Toole has finally said something that I agree with:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/o-toole-calls-for-relocation-of-beijing-olympics-due-to-china-s-genocide-of-uighurs/ar-BB1dJnez?li=AAggXBV

I prefer sending our athletes to beat them on their own turf.  Worked ok for our hockey team in 1972, and Jesse Owens in 1936.

FTR: I was in favour of China getting the 2008 games, but the ccp of that era was a lot less of a bully and a bit more willing to act as a global citizen - however, they very well may have pulled the wool over my eyes during that time, and I'm definitely now strongly against the notion of us sending our athletes to compete there...

.......strictly speaking though, I say so on personal security grounds.  We don't need more of our citizens arbitrarily arrested for some bull$&!# trumped up charge of "endangering" their national security.  Tomato, tomato - you could say this would be supporting Team Canada boycotting them hosting the games, but I'm more about us protecting our athletes and citizens from their arbitrary detentions and fake charges.

• Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Canada Pension Plan has a new boss, after the last guy flew to UAE,  and got a covod vacinne:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/cpp-boss-machin-quits-after-overseas-trip-for-covid-shot-defying-government-advice/ar-BB1e2XrE?ocid=msedgdhp

Reuters) - The head of Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), Mark Machin, has resigned after traveling to the United Arab Emirates to be vaccinated against COVID-19, flouting Canadian government's travel advice and drawing criticism.

CPPIB, the country's largest pension fund, on Friday named John Graham as chief executive officer, who is currently senior managing director and global head of credit investments.

"While the CPPIB is an independent organization, we are very disappointed by this troubling situation and we support the swift action taken by the Board of Directors," said Kat Cuplinskas, press secretary for Canada's Ministry of Finance.

"The Deputy Prime Minister spoke to the Chair of the Board of Directors today and made clear that Canadians place their trust in the CPPIB and expect it to be held to a higher standard," Cuplinskas told Reuters in an email.

Machin did not respond to a Reuters request for comment. He is the first CPPIB CEO to be forced to resign, a source told Reuters.

Machin sent an internal memo to CPPIB staff acknowledging that he took a personal trip and was in Dubai for a number of reasons, some of which were "deeply personal", the source said.

Machin said the trip was supposed to be "very private" and that he was disappointed it had become the focus of "expected criticism", according to the source.

Although there is no specific ban on Canadians traveling abroad, the federal and provincial governments have advised against overseas trips to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Canada trails behind many developed nations in its vaccination drive, with under 3% of the population inoculated so far. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government has come under attack from opposition leaders and provincial premiers for the slow-burn roll out.

Machin, 54, received Pfizer's vaccine shot after arriving in the UAE with his partner this month, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

According to the report, Machin has stayed on in the UAE and is due to receive his second dose in coming weeks.

The UAE says it provides COVID-19 vaccinations to residents and citizens only, free of charge, and requires a valid residency identification card to receive the shots. It was not immediately clear how Machin, a British national, secured the vaccine by traveling to Dubai.

Machin, an alumnus of Cambridge and Oxford Universities, joined CPPIB in March 2012 and was appointed as president and chief executive officer in 2016. He had a 20-year long career at Goldman Sachs Group Inc prior to joining the pension fund.

Machin rose steadily through the ranks during his two decades at Goldman Sachs Asia, running their capital markets, financing and investment banking businesses at various times. He ended his stint with the bank as vice chairman of Asia based in Beijing.

Incoming CEO Graham has been with CPPIB for 10 years. Prior to that he was with Xerox Innovation Group for over nine years.

Graham holds an MBA from the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto and a PhD from the University of Western Ontario.

Some Canadian federal and provincial leaders have resigned in the past month after their overseas leisure trips sparked public outrage.

On 2/16/2021 at 4:42 PM, King Heffy said:

I prefer sending our athletes to beat them on their own turf.  Worked ok for our hockey team in 1972, and Jesse Owens in 1936.

If you want to think strictly in terms of the competition that comes with the sports: sure. I'd agree that it feels good to beat them on their own turf.

However, the competition itself is one thing. Do not forget that the Chinese have arrested Canadians while we have a Chinese CEO arrested (who's still living more lavishly than most Canadians ironically enough). There's a standoff happening there and sending Canadians over to compete at an Olympics could be a little questionable because of that. The Chinese could look at the Olympics as their reputation so perhaps they won't do that, but after the Olympics are over, who knows at that point. No matter what though, it's a risk to go there right now for any of us.

This also doesn't even consider our recent bill that proclaims the Chinese treatment of the Uighur people being a genocide. If anything, our tensions with China are increasing at this point.

I'd love it to just be about competition and "sending our athletes to beat them at their own turf". I would love it to be a similar situation to 1972 or 1936. I really would. But it's just not the case right now. This is 2021. A lot has happened since those years you've mentioned.

• Vintage 1
On 2/16/2021 at 3:40 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I think I was more neutral with China hosting it at that point. They were, after all, a rising economy. However, they also didn't have Jinping in charge either.

Canada should not go to the Chinese Oly's.

Hold our own tourney, with others that decide not to go.

Even if there is, or isn't,  a substitute competition, a celebration of our athletes from this Olympic crew, and the ones of the past that didn't get to go should take place.

I'd like to see a wall of honour, listing all the athletes that did not compete due to Canada not going.

The wall should list all the athlete's other accomplishments, world championships, national titles etc.

Then a commemorative plaque of  "Morality in sports" or some thing like it; to be issued to all those past and present that could not go.

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think I was more neutral with China hosting it at that point. They were, after all, a rising economy. However, they also didn't have Jinping in charge either.

I remember discussing it on these boards at the time. Even then, China was considered a human rights abuser....The "for" argument tended to be about how holding such a prestigious international event was the perfect vehicle to "bring China into the fold" as it were.

I argued from the point of view of a parent: If your child is having a meltdown, it's a bad idea to give him or her a cookie, in the hopes that he'll behave. You give the child a cookie when he or she don't throw tantrums any more. In short, you reward good behavior, not bad behavior, IMHO...

• Upvote 1

I remember discussing it on these boards at the time. Even then, China was considered a human rights abuser....The "for" argument tended to be about how holding such a prestigious international event was the perfect vehicle to "bring China into the fold" as it were.

I argued from the point of view of a parent: If your child is having a meltdown, it's a bad idea to give him or her a cookie, in the hopes that he'll behave. You give the child a cookie when he or she don't throw tantrums any more. In short, you reward good behavior, not bad behavior, IMHO...

Of course, that's why I was more neutral really (plus I don't think I really cared to begin with at the time so that was a thing). I realized the problems over there, which made me not 100% for it. But yeah, realistically, I wasn't against it because I didn't care enough about it.

Honestly, the olympics involve so much money these days and put cities in so much debt, you put the wrong city in charge of the next olympics and you'll see a bunch of abandoned buildings and financial hurting not even a year after. Case in point: Rio Di Janeiro. I don't know how much this actually affects China, but it pertains to me not caring as much as I probably should. Still, look at my response to King Heffy if you want my opinion of it now. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Violator said:

How snc is still getting contracts boggles my mind 150 million for a mobile hospital in Ottawa is just insane.

because its a massive company with a lot of capacity. I don't see a reason to tank it over a couple of bad exec's. 

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because its a massive company with a lot of capacity. I don't see a reason to tank it over a couple of bad exec's. 

Just curious why we still need a Mobile hospital to seems really late 

47 minutes ago, Violator said:

Just curious why we still need a Mobile hospital to seems really late 

Maybe it's late, but if we needed it and it wasn't there?

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, gurn said:

That's one of those things we should have on supply like all of the ppe we were short.

2 hours ago, gurn said:

2 hours ago, Violator said:

That's one of those things we should have on supply like all of the ppe we were short.

better late than never I guess 

Pot, calling kettle names:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/conservatives-accuse-liberals-of-wanting-to-engineer-a-risky-pandemic-election/ar-BB1emOe4?ocid=msedgntp

OTTAWA — The Conservatives are firing back at allegations they’re holding up legislation by accusing the Liberals of using their own tactics to engineer an election this spring.

Canadians don’t want a risky pandemic election, but with every filibuster, delay in producing House-ordered documents, and the poorly organized legislative calendar, it’s becoming more and more clear that the Liberals are trying to engineer one,” says a statement from Conservative House Leader Gérard Deltell released Monday morning.

The war of words comes after Government House Leader Pablo Rodriguez gave an interview last week that many Conservatives viewed as a veiled election threat.

“They’re playing politics all the time in the House,” Rodriguez told the Canadian Press, speaking about the Conservatives. “It’s delay, delay, delay — and eventually that delay becomes obstruction.”

The Liberals have been particularly incensed at the Conservatives over the assisted dying legislation, Bill C-7. On his Twitter account, Rodriguez has repeatedly accused the Conservatives of blocking debate on the bill by declining to hold evening sittings on it.

Rodriguez  said the Conservatives are also using procedural delaying tactics to hold up Bill C-19, which makes changes to allow for a safer election during a pandemic, such as more mail-in balloting. Earlier in February, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland wrote a letter to the Tories accusing them of delaying Bill C-14, which contains further pandemic aid measures.

But Deltell said the Liberals “are doing more to hold up their own legislative agenda than any opposition party ever could.”

“They failed to manage the legislative agenda, call bills in no logical order, schedule insufficient time for debate on their legislation, and then make public statements accusing Conservatives of playing games,” Deltell said.

He also said the Liberals have already made mistakes by rushing bills through the House.

They created a loophole for vacationers to receive $1,000 and left thousands of new small businesses without emergency supports,” Deltell said. “These mistakes could have been avoided if bills were subjected to proper parliamentary review. We will do our job on behalf of Canadians to make sure mistakes like these don’t happen again.”

The dispute comes as the pace of vaccinations in Canada is set to scale up dramatically, with 8 million doses now scheduled to be delivered by the end of March. The delays in Canada’s vaccine supplies in February had put a damper on election speculation, but now the election rumour mill has started to churn again.

The minority parliament situation means an election would be triggered if the opposition parties unite to defeat the Liberals on a key vote. However, the Liberals can also chose to unilaterally call an election themselves.

Deltell said the Conservatives “want this minority Parliament to work so Canadians aren’t forced to the polls during a pandemic…We call on the Liberal government to put aside their political games so we can focus on helping Canadians.”

"Deltell said the Conservatives “want this minority Parliament to work so Canadians aren’t forced to the polls during a pandemic…We call on the Liberal government to put aside their political games so we can focus on helping Canadians.”

"Put aside the political games".

So what was that vote about Chinese genocide, other than an attempt to play political games?

• Hydration 1
2 hours ago, gurn said:

"Deltell said the Conservatives “want this minority Parliament to work so Canadians aren’t forced to the polls during a pandemic…We call on the Liberal government to put aside their political games so we can focus on helping Canadians.”

"Put aside the political games".

So what was that vote about Chinese genocide, other than an attempt to play political games?

that there was "principles" 

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

it has since been deleted.  but this was a gem dropped today by the Canadian Conservative Party.  How the hell is this the best we can come up with....

image.thumb.png.d9f2da52d29ce63bb504c6128cb93643.png

• Haha 4