The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bc assessment 2019

Violator

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If you think lower mainland is a part of Canada that pays above average wages.... you are OUT to LUNCH and OUT to DINNER.

Clearly you're out of touch.

Settling for a low paying/minimum wage job is a choice. There are very high paying jobs out there, people just need to continue looking.

As for the rate of pay for a job in IT, I'm fairly certain he wasn't referencing a help desk position. People in that field who specialize easily clear six figures.

6 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Clearly you're out of touch.

Settling for a low paying/minimum wage job is a choice. There are very high paying jobs out there, people just need to continue looking.

As for the rate of pay for a job in IT, I'm fairly certain he wasn't referencing a help desk position. People in that field who specialize easily clear six figures.

Quality humor, well done. 

I am sure most people working 1 to 2 low paying jobs just do it by choice.....   Maybe you should even call them lazy.. right ?

Victim blaming ? 

Fact is the lower mainland is a very tough market.  Below average wages and above average rents / or  purchase cost of housing.

Blaming the victims of this situation if sad.

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Quality humor, well done. 

I am sure most people working 1 to 2 low paying jobs just do it by choice.....   Maybe you should even call them lazy.. right ?

Victim blaming ? 

Fact is the lower mainland is a very tough market.  Below average wages and above average rents / or  purchase cost of housing.

Blaming the victims of this situation if sad.

I now earn $34(+)/hr. Before that I worked in film at Rogers Arena AND at Pacific Coliseum, all those at $20(+)/hr. All three simultaneously and all jobs considered "unskilled", no ticket required.

Call it what you like. I was simply unsatisfied.

The work and jobs are there. Most people don't know where to look. Hint, it's not on Craigslist.

I'd say that's enough derailment for this thread.

45 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sounds like advice from another person that had all his huge post sec costs paid for by his rich parents.... then tries to advise others.

Its OK, its easy to pretend on an online forum..

The whole point of post sec education in Canada is to restrict the well paying jobs to only those that have rich parents.

In Canada education is used to preserve the status / top jobs  of elite families....

Google "student loans" and "bursaries" 

Spoiler: You can borrow money for school fees! Shocker! 

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sounds like advice from another person that had all his huge post sec costs paid for by his rich parents.... then tries to advise others.

Its OK, its easy to pretend on an online forum..

The whole point of post sec education in Canada is to restrict the well paying jobs to only those that have rich parents.

In Canada education is used to preserve the status / top jobs  of elite families....

I did not have rich parents and i did not partake in any post secondary education. But i am in my mid thirties with a decent paying job that i started at the bottom and worked my way up.

I purchased a home 4 years ago on a 25 year mortgage and currently am on pace to have it paid off in 16. I am also a single parent of two school age children i have fulltime custody and other than a small child tax check every month i recieve very little in any assistance due to my salary being too high. 

You sound like someone who doesnt want to work hard to get what they want and blame others for the results.

5 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Google "student loans" and "bursaries" 

Spoiler: You can borrow money for school fees! Shocker! 

I guess it is the Canadian version of the American Dream......

Great to have a system in place to ensure that wealthy families kids can maintain the quality jobs in our country.....

And the  loan system allows canadians to not even feel guilty about our system.....     awesome. 

2 minutes ago, surtur said:

I did not have rich parents and i did not partake in any post secondary education. But i am in my mid thirties with a decent paying job that i started at the bottom and worked my way up.

I purchased a home 4 years ago on a 25 year mortgage and currently am on pace to have it paid off in 16. I am also a single parent of two school age children i have fulltime custody and other than a small child tax check every month i recieve very little in any assistance due to my salary being too high. 

You sound like someone who doesnt want to work hard to get what they want and blame others for the results.

Nice try. I actually own my own home .

16 hours ago, Russ said:

Bingo thats what I did.  I put my nose to the grind, picked up 2 jobs when I was single, banked as much as I could before I got serious with my wife and started looking at buying a house.  The best part is I found my second job on a day off when I was bored, went to one of the temp agencies because I didn't feel like sitting at home while all my friends worked, got working with a landscaper and he liked my work ethic so he told me whenever I had time to give me a shout and he would see if he had work for me.  Ended up working great and was able to save a bunch of money while people I knew complained about making very little money but also didn't try and push themselves to go out and get more grunt work jobs where the money was.  They all wanted to work indoors in perfect conditions but unfortunately life isn't always that easy when you want to make money.  

Like you said, buy your groceries, make your own food, don't go out and buy subway, etc. every day and you can save money pretty quickly, but most people want to be lazy and take the easy way out.  I have no sympathy for anyone mid 20s or older complaining that they can't buy a house, I bought one when I was 26 and happily live in it and plan on for the next 40 years.  The grunt work is what got me here also.

I’m in construction and I see all and I mean all the young guys spend about 25$ a day on energy drinks, pizza slices and one of smokes or chew.

i still pack my snack and go home for lunch and I’m in my early 40’s and a boss.

i couldnt believe it when I saw that the chewing tobacco is about 40$ and they buy it once a week.  Or cigarettes.

edit

energy drinks should be banned by health Canada imo.  But that’s another topic altogether.

3 minutes ago, surtur said:

As for what i actually came here to post was my property had a 18% increase while the average was 8% so i will have a tax increase. 

Assessment has zero bearing on selling price for your home... so any increase in assessment is bad news.

13 minutes ago, surtur said:

As for what i actually came here to post was my property had a 18% increase while the average was 8% so i will have a tax increase. 

You can dispute it, if you think it is over assessed.

If you go to the assessment site it will give comparables, these are what your assessment is partially assessed on. Use the ones closest to your neighbourhood

If these places which have probably been recently sold and have probably had extensive renovations done and your house has not then you should dispute that.

When you show up, have printouts of the previous real estate ads from when those comparables were sold that said Fully renovated, with heat pump, granite countertops etc.

Just google that comparables address with "for sale" and all the real estate ads for that property will come up

I have disputed my assessments before and had it lowered

17 minutes ago, surtur said:

Is that how that works my assessment for this year was 8% the average was 12%

14 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

1. Rents at 1500/month are for 2br unless you're in downtown Vancouver. Split with a roommate that's 750/month. I have friends renting a 2 bedroom highrise in north Burnaby in a new tower and their rent is 825 each. 

2. When 1 fifth of 1 of 2 monthly paychecks can cover your 750 rent, and let's say a couple hundred more for cable internet heat, and let's say $130 to $160 a week in groceries, and $40 a week to eat out and $275 for student loans, there's a lot of money left over to save or just invest. Even the monthly mortgage with house insurance is less than 1 paycheck (excluding bills).

3. Now of course, I could've not gone to school or gotten a useless degree in philosophy and made $13/hour working at Starbucks and complain on Facebook about how the government sucks and I can't afford to rent or buy a house and I need $30/hour at Starbucks

I, and I'm assuming @Russ didn't live in Yaletown after school and buy houses in point Grey. I've been in the suburbs both during school and post school. 

Yes, when you are pulling in 90K a year from a single income, saving would be simple.  Not that you need to apologize for that, that's great.  But not everyone has the opportunity to earn that.

But the main issue here isn't lack of education, laziness, etc.  It's that the cost of living in most cases has surpassed wages.  Part of that is priorities, yes, but if not all of that is on the wage earner.

24 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

You can dispute it, if you think it is over assessed.

If you go to the assessment site it will give comparables, these are what your assessment is partially assessed on. Use the ones closest to your neighbourhood

If these places which have probably been recently sold and have probably had extensive renovations done and your house has not then you should dispute that.

When you show up, have printouts of the previous real estate ads from when those comparables were sold that said Fully renovated, with heat pump, granite countertops etc.

Just google that comparables address with "for sale" and all the real estate ads for that property will come up

I have disputed my assessments before and had it lowered

Yeah i might. It states right on my assessment that due to recent sales in my area my assessment has increased. 

My neighbors fully renovated house sold for way over market value in my area. Almost made me contemplate spending some money on renos and cashing out as my house is nearly twice the size and based on his sale i could sell for nearly double what i paid 4 years ago if i did some work on it. But i love the location as it is walking distance to the schools and is a really quiet neighborhood. Plus i am in no position to risk doing the work and the market crashing before i can sell. 

I hope the market is strong once the kids are graduating and i sell but that is several years away and plenty can change in that time.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I’m in construction and I see all and I mean all the young guys spend about 25$ a day on energy drinks, pizza slices and one of smokes or chew.

i still pack my snack and go home for lunch and I’m in my early 40’s and a boss.

i couldnt believe it when I saw that the chewing tobacco is about 40$ and they buy it once a week.  Or cigarettes.

edit

energy drinks should be banned by health Canada imo.  But that’s another topic altogether.

LOL it’s so true. Construction breeds so many of these types (I’m in a semi type construction job). Get up earlier and pack a lunch ffs. Make a pot of coffee and put it in a thermos. I work with guys that have astronomically poor spending habits that complain about not being able to afford housing or save money, yet they drop 25-40 bucks a day on eating out. It’s expensive to live here but with some discipline and wit you can make it work. 

17 minutes ago, Pickly said:

LOL it’s so true. Construction breeds so many of these types (I’m in a semi type construction job). Get up earlier and pack a lunch ffs. Make a pot of coffee and put it in a thermos. I work with guys that have astronomically poor spending habits that complain about not being able to afford housing or save money, yet they drop 25-40 bucks a day on eating out. It’s expensive to live here but with some discipline and wit you can make it work. 

It’s a discipline for sure and in the colder wet months it’s tough to not go for that hot snack etc.  Could try and limit it to once a week a Monday or Friday.

but all that aside, red bulls, smokes etc are simply an all around poor choice.  But as I said that’s another topic.  No doubt we will see a new generation of diabetics en masse 

i won’t claim I was responsible in my early twenties but I learned pretty quick after a family event more or less forced me to figure it out quick by my mid twenties.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Yes, when you are pulling in 90K a year from a single income, saving would be simple.  Not that you need to apologize for that, that's great.  But not everyone has the opportunity to earn that.

But the main issue here isn't lack of education, laziness, etc.  It's that the cost of living in most cases has surpassed wages.  Part of that is priorities, yes, but if not all of that is on the wage earner.

I'd respectfully disagree. I can appreciate there are life events that cause these things to happen (unplanned early pregnancy, family tragedies, etc.) but for the average folk, those who lived at home throughout high school will typically always have the option to live at home while in post secondary or for the first few years after high school while they work full time (unless you have real d*cks for parents who forcefully kick you out). 

It's a choice to want to move out when you don't have to, it's a choice to travel to Europe for a year with no money and rack up credit card debt, it's a choice to major in something that won't land you a job or well paying job, it's a choice to forego a student loan or apply for bursaries and not do any schooling, it's a choice to not work hard and climb up company ladders and pay grades. 

I'm not Caucasian, so my parents didn't charge me rent to live at home while I did my schooling (I chose to live at home and have a 75min commute both ways instead of live near school for convenience), but even my Caucasian friends' parents had rules of not charging them rent if they were in school and if they didn't go to school, rent was $250. 

I'm my opinion there are a lot of options for people to better themselves but a lot of people make the decision to not pursue those options (excluding the small population mentioned above). I'm not even talking about degrees. A girl I went to school with did a 10 month course to become an assistant in medical offices and makes 38k a year now (compared to like 24k at the liquor store) while living at home and is nearly saved up for a down payment on a 1 bedroom condo in new west. 

Now if you didn't live at home during high school (I only personally knew 2 people in my gr 12 class who due to family reasons lived with an aunt or cousin) and you have to move out the day high school is finished, then that's an exception much like the unexpected pregnancies and all that. 

Archived