The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mean Gene Okerlund dead at 76

PhillipBlunt

A little late, but he will be missed.

'Mean’ Gene Okerlund dead: WWE interviewer dies at 76

By Adam Wallis National Online Journalist, Music  Global News

WWE's iconic announcer and backstage interviewer "Mean" Gene Okerlund passed away on Wednesday at the age of 76, WWE officials said on Wednesday.
The World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. (WWE) confirmed the death of world-renowned interviewer “Mean” Gene Okerlund in an official statement. Okerlund passed away on Wednesday morning at the age of 76.

The legendary broadcaster was known and loved for almost five decades of service as “the most recognizable interviewer in sports-entertainment history.” Okerlund’s cause of death has not yet been revealed.

The news of Okerlund’s death began circulating on Twitter early Wednesday.

WWE broadcaster “Mean” Gene Okerland attends the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania’s WWE Hall of Fame at the Toyota Center on April 4, 2009 in Houston, Tex.

WWE broadcaster “Mean” Gene Okerland attends the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania’s WWE Hall of Fame at the Toyota Center on April 4, 2009 in Houston, Tex.

Bob Levey/WireImage

The staff at WWE extended their condolences to Okerlund’s close friends and family in a heartfelt statement revealing the unfortunate news.

“WWE is saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Gene Okerlund, the most recognizable interviewer in sports-entertainment history, has passed away at age 76,” they wrote.

The statement continued, “‘Mean Gene,’ as he was named by fellow Minnesotan, Jesse ‘The Body’ Ventura, made the move to WWE in 1984, where he became as recognizable as the superstars he asked the questions to, including ‘Macho Man’ Randy SavageThe Ultimate Warrior and, perhaps Okerlund’s greatest guest, Hulk Hogan.

“Countless Hulkster interviews included the indelible phrase, ‘Well you know something ‘Mean’ Gene!'” they added.

Upon hearing the news, Hogan posted a tribute to Twitter saying: “Mean Gene, I love you my brother.”

Among wrestling fans, Okerlund’s character was a fan favourite, not only because of his unique interviews and questioning tactics, but also because of his dry humour, stone-cold reactions, and of course, the unforgettable segments he turned into comedic gold.

(L-R) Woman, Ric Flair, Miss Elizabeth and Gene Okerlund circa 1998 during a WCW braodcast.

(L-R) Woman, Ric Flair, Miss Elizabeth and Gene Okerlund circa 1998 during a WCW braodcast.

Getty Images Archive

An influx of tributes and condolences flooded Twitter from a number of celebrities, including many of the professional wrestlers he worked with during his 47-year career in the industry.

From Hogan to Triple H, Steve Austin to Jerry Lawler, the biggest of names shared their joy in working with Okerlund.

Born Eugene Arthur Okerlund on Dec. 19, 1942 in Sisseton, S.D., Okerlund began his career working through the southern states as a radio DJ. His debut in the pro wrestling industry came in 1970 when he joined the American Wrestling Assosication (AWA).

After more than 14 years as a ring announcer, Okerlund joined the WWE/WWF for a decade as their beloved interviewer — which is where he earned his title and legacy.

“As the respected and reliable man behind the microphone in WWE, Okerlund branched out from interviewing and provided ringside commentary and hosted several shows, including All-American Wrestling, Tuesday Night Titans, Wrestling Challenge and Prime Time Wrestling,” the WWE’s statement also read.

Okerlund was a man of many talents. He bounced between the WWE, WWF and the World Championship Wrestling, partaking in segments in which he acted as a host, ring announcer, and of course, the main interviewer.

His final television appearance was on Jan. 22, 2018 for the WWE, during a 25th anniversary episode of Raw, in which he interviewed wrestler AJ Styles.

Cast members Gene Okerlund and Hillbilly Jim attend the WWE screening of ‘Legends’ House.’

Cast members Gene Okerlund and Hillbilly Jim attend the WWE screening of ‘Legends’ House.’

Okerlund is survived by his wife of 54 years, Jeanne Okerlund, and their two children, one of whom is Todd Okerlund, a former NHL player for the New York Islanders in the early 1980s.

As of this writing, there is no information about any funeral arrangements.

As a single Mom of a son who wanted to watch wrestling, I opted not to "shelter" him from the world but, rather, tried to guide him through and expose him to different situations so we could discuss them if he had questions.  Took a lot of heat back then... "you let your son watch wrestling??".  

So we went to Monday Night Raw together, I rented him every single ppv (back then you had to go to Blockbuster or Rogers Video and get a box for each showing...about $80 a shot for some of them!).  I know more about wrestling than I likely should admit.

With that, these names/faces connect me to a time and place that I would love to rewind and go back to.  The best days of my life spent with my kid(s).

Some of these voices echo of the past for me.  I still remember JR and Jerry the King fumbling through the Owen Hart tragedy as they tried to piece the puzzle together for us on live TV.  We, thinking it was part of the show, then realizing with the change of tone that it was "real".   

The sights and sounds of wrestling are near and dear to me...every grunt, groan and growl.   

As a kid, I remember Stampede Wrestling in the afternoon (before hockey?) when Dad was home from fishing.  Rattling lid on the boiling potato pot.....

Funny how things connect us to our past.

May he rest in peace.  So many of our legends are slipping away....

Archived