The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is Jason Garrison?

Nuke

I think some are being quite harsh on Garrison. Definitely cannot make it at the NHL level anymore, but that doesn't make him a bad player. He's got the heart and battle which helped him win a spot in Edmonton to start the year.

He may not use his size in a explosive hitting way, but he is a big body that can deal with the bigger opponents who generally are not the quickest players either (looking at Djurgardens' roster, it looks like they use some size on the back end with only Urbom with relative size).

He put up 28 points in 58 games in the AHL last year and likely that is around the level of play similar at the SHL level. It looks like there isn't too much offense coming from defense points-wise, so he could around the 2nd best dman on the team offensively if his AHL numbers translate.

He's a good team guy and comes off as a leader type. The D group there looks relatively young, so Garrison will be a vet that can relay his NHL experience to that group.

46 minutes ago, Jaku said:

He once had a good season because of Brian Campbell and Vancouver gave him a ridiculous contract because of it. He's slow and doesn't use his size well. 

Florida has perfected the art of developing terrible but big dmen and trading them to Vancouver :lol:

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

Florida has perfected the art of developing terrible but big dmen and trading them to Vancouver :lol:

Didn't JB trade Garrison back to the Florida (Tbay) for a second or a third?  Crazy these big D, who can't skate, are sought after at all.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Didn't JB trade Garrison back to the Florida (Tbay) for a second or a third?  Crazy these big D, who can't skate, are sought after at all.  

A lot of the old guard that values size over skill/effectiveness still left over in the NHL, but they are dwindling. 

It was for a 2nd round pick. 

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nah, it’s because your eyes as squinting so much (re: Eastwood avatar) you can’t see properly.:P

OT - reminds me of the rather odd album title Pete Townshend had “All the best cowboys have Chinese eyes”.:blink:

Could be I was looking that much harder for that headlined slap shot ... kinda like looking down the sights of a 30-30 cal.

;)  

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well JB did give up a high 2nd round pick and a 20 year old first round player (McCann) for a slow D man whose only asset is size.

Just now, Butters Stoch said:

Well JB did give up a high 2nd round pick and a 20 year old first round player (McCann) for a slow D man who's only asset is size.

JB didn’t trade for Garrison.  I thought Garrison was a left over from Gillis, no?  

20 hours ago, SilentSam said:

On a more serious note he might be ok on the bigger ice surface,. Apararently has a great slap shot,. that we never saw, . Maybe I blinked or something?

I saw it once or twice!

18 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Campbell seemed to make another guy look pretty good ( who’s currently on the Canucks roster).  Perhaps he should’ve been the guy we went after then.  Ridiculous contract?  What do you expect free agent #4 to get?  (He was a number 4 then and yes, having a fluke year in goal scoring inflates your value..look at trash Schaller for an example).  Bolts still got at least one good year out of him (as a #4) when we dealt him.

Its funny because I heard of an interview when Boston and Vancouver played this year and the Boston guy hadn't realized how bad Schaller had played and actually seemed really surprised that he was doing so poorly this year so maybe he just doesn't fit a Travis Green system.  I am not sure how he played in Boston but obviously did better.

Archived