The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does our style remind you of the 2010 Blackhawks?

Sandro17

I feel like were accidentally emulating the 2010 Blackhawks speedy rushing style. Lots of breakout passes and chances off the rush. Anyone else feel the same way?

Edit: FYI I'm talking about the play style, not the ability to win the cup or rank in the standings. 

It's more likely 2008 Blackhawks rather than 2010 because Blackhawks were up and coming team that missed the playoffs for years prior, maybe 2007 Blackhawks rather than 2010 Blackhawks that just won the Cup.  I believe that Hossa helped them to get over the hump and without Hossa, they could be bounced out by the Canucks.   I remember that series where they couldn't get going with their playoff performance that year.   

39 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Never thought I'd say this but the Flames look like the 2010-2014 Chicago.

I like the comparison alot. 

Kane = Gaudreau Almost identical players. We'll see if Johnny can perform like Kane in the playoffs

Toews = Monahan Toews is better defensively and is clutch. Monahan has yet to show he can perform

Sharp = Lindholm  Excellent 2 way Centres both right hand shots again not sure if he will perform in the playoffs we'll find out this year. 

Hossa = Tkachuk  Hossa >>> Tkachuk 

Ladd = Bennett  Both gritty 3rd line players that can chip in some offense

Bolland = Backlund Edge to Backlund 

Keith = Gio  Keith won the Norris in 2010 Gio is having a Norris worthy year. 

Seabrook = Hamonic Defensive physical RHD

2010 Blackhawks had more size and grit. Flames have nobody like Byfuglien or Brouwer in their lineup. Their eerily similar though both teams even have questionable goaltending. :lol:

As for this year's Canucks. They remind me more of the 2000-01 up and coming Canuck team. They had just gotten out of the dark years and were on the rise. Showed alot of heart and made the playoffs despite losing Naslund to injury.  

4 hours ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

Kane = Gaudreau Almost identical players. We'll see if Johnny can perform like Kane in the playoffs

Toews = Monahan Toews is better defensively and is clutch. Monahan has yet to show he can perform

Sharp = Lindholm  Excellent 2 way Centres both right hand shots again not sure if he will perform in the playoffs we'll find out this year. 

2010 Blackhawks had more size and grit. Flames have nobody like Byfuglien or Brouwer in their lineup. Their eerily similar though both teams even have questionable goaltending. :lol:

As for this year's Canucks. They remind me more of the 2000-01 up and coming Canuck team. They had just gotten out of the dark years and were on the rise. Showed alot of heart and made the playoffs despite losing Naslund to injury.  

Flames do not have anyone like Seabrook... who scored more than Keith in some years and was huge physically.

Monahan is not Toews... who was a superstar in his early years.

Keith, as much as we hate him, is a much more slick D than Giordano.

Sharp of 2010 is better than Lindholm... much more of a team leader.

Kane and Gaudreau very similar... but as has been said... can Gaudreau put up in the playoffs?

I think Calgary goes out early.

Hawks defense in the early 10's was light years ahead of Vancouver's now and a ton of their chances were created off the back end.

So no, as someone that watched a ton of those games back in the day (we get WGN in Alberta for some reason) I don't think we resemble them very much at all.

10 hours ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

Haven't watched Calgary except when they play us so I don't know too much, maybe they are as good as you say. But...

I'm not sure if Monahan is as good as Toewes. At some point, it was Crosby, Toewes, and Kopitar as the 3 best forwards/centers in the world. Is Monahan a top 3 forward? He may not even be a top 3 center in the world.

Sharp had quite a bit of grit as well as goal scoring/sniping abilities. Not familiar with Lindholm's game to comment accurately but does he?

Hossa >>> Tkachuk is right. And there's really a huge difference. Looking back, I would put Hossa just a tad below Sergei Fedorov, although Hossa is a winger and Fedorov a center; they were special players on both ends of the ice with physicality/skating. Basically, elite in every aspect of hockey.

Bennett = Ladd? lol. Not yet and may never.

Bolland in 2010 was great but otherwise, Backlund is a better player overall. 

Keith = Gio is quite close. Hate Keith but I think he was top 2 or top 3D in the NHL during those years. Gio is a top 10? maybe top 5? Quite close though. It's funny, Keith is only 1 year older than Gio. I wonder what happened to Keith.

Seabrook > Hamonic. Similar style and Hamonic looks like he has enough toolset to put up 40 pts but he never has. Seabrook did so multiple times.

And as you say, 2010 Hawks had Byfuglien and Brouwer on top of that.

Archived