The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laine's Scoring Slump

On 2/1/2019 at 7:00 AM, Alflives said:

Jets win again,  but Laine is a minus one and does nothing but hurt his team when he’s on the ice.  Is Laine turning into a bustaroo?  

He's at a slump but even so he still has 25 goals this season. He's young he will get over it.

Let's not forget Bo Horvat also had a slump in his second year.  

16 hours ago, TheShaunz said:

I doubt it would happen but I wonder about the possibility of a 1 for 1 Laine for Panarin (if a re-sign is already underway at least) deal... could make sense for both teams, though I don't think the Jets would want to give up their prized #2 overall who lit the league on fire.

It's a bit tricky. Panarin is an elite talent but is already 27 even if the Jets/CBJ extends him for 8 years that is probably another 4 years where he would be in decline.

Laine is having a slump while Panarin might be someone that can help the Jets more this year I think keeping Laine still is more advantageous considering his age and potential. 

Edit:

Though what could be interesting is that it's possible Pierre Luc Dubious might end up being the 2nd best player in the 2016 draft class.

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

He's at a slump but even so he still has 25 goals this season. He's young he will get over it.

Let's not forget Bo Horvat also had a slump in his second year.  

What's Laine got to do with Bo?  My point was that Laine is not scoring at all, and actually getting reduced minutes because he's hurting his team 5 on 5.  Maybe he's got off ice issues?  Someone mentioned he could be a video game addict?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

What's Laine got to do with Bo?  My point was that Laine is not scoring at all, and actually getting reduced minutes because he's hurting his team 5 on 5.  Maybe he's got off ice issues?  Someone mentioned he could be a video game addict?

Point is young players all go though these struggles. Horvat did, MacKinnon did, and now Laine is going through that heck we can say the same about Matthews in last few weeks. He will over come it soon enough

Its the dreaded sophomore slump that affects 90% of players in the league. 
Most likely will affect EP too.  You are no longer a fresh-faced kid with elite talent that teams are trying to figure out, you are someone who will now have to adapt to a higher level, as every coach/team will have a playbook on you now. Very few players- even the elites- make instant adjustment- usually it takes a season or two to figure out the sophomore slump. 
Laine, with that shot of his and skating for his size, will be just fine.

11 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Most likely will affect EP too.  You are no longer a fresh-faced kid with elite talent that teams are trying to figure out, you are someone who will now have to adapt to a higher level, as every coach/team will have a playbook on you now. Very few players- even the elites- make instant adjustment- usually it takes a season or two to figure out the sophomore slump. 

Most players don't (maybe?) have a video game addiction.  Is Laine doing the right things off the ice to be the best he can be on the ice?  His minutes 5 on 5 have been reduced a lot by the coach.  It could be the other teams have him figured, or there could be more. 

15 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

With respect, you seem to miss the point. People are criticizing Laine for his attitude. He is not seeking ways to upgrade his game away from the puck. He does not hustle, does not back check and does not drive the play. His skill is awesome but his character is lacking.

This is however normal. Some players due to their god given talent and size never experienced substantial adversity in their development until they reach NHL. They lack the the mental fortitude to focus and dig themselves out of the struggle however necessary. Patrick needs a mentor, not just in terms of hockey but life in general. 

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

Isn't it Laine's third season?

On 2/3/2019 at 12:39 PM, TheShaunz said:

I doubt it would happen but I wonder about the possibility of a 1 for 1 Laine for Panarin (if a re-sign is already underway at least) deal... could make sense for both teams, though I don't think the Jets would want to give up their prized #2 overall who lit the league on fire.

Panarin doesn't want to live in Columbus but would like to move to Winnipeg?

I don't think that's happening.  

Panarin wants to play in a big city in USA with a sizeable Russian community.

Florida or New York are most likely places he goes to

A lesson to young kids on being too cocky. It's tough to stay on top of the best leugue in the world. Laine is a lazy hockey player with and elite shot. He racks up points on the PP against weak teams and good teams having bad nights. I think this slump looks good on the guy as he has been way to cocky for a kid that still needs to learn to compete without the puck. 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:04 PM, JesseBlue said:

He's just having an off year. This sounds eerily similar to stamkos having an off year some time ago

Pretty sure Stamkos was injured at that time. A pretty serious injury if I recall correctly but I might be wrong so I dunno. Laine isn't injured that I know of.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:04 PM, JesseBlue said:

He's just having an off year. This sounds eerily similar to stamkos having an off year some time ago

It's more than that. He's a lazy hockey player. It will cost him millions if he doesnt figure it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 10:11 AM, rekker said:

It's more than that. He's a lazy hockey player. It will cost him millions if he doesnt figure it out. 

Watching Laine play tonight, and he looks slow.  It’s not just his skating; it’s his decision making and shot release.  Everything about him looks slow.  I’m wondering he’s out of condition?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Watching Laine play tonight, and he looks slow.  It’s not just his skating; it’s his decision making and shot release.  Everything about him looks slow.  I’m wondering he’s out of condition?  

Could be. He's never struck me as the hard working type. Maybe it was that homely beard.

Archived