The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 10, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

So Sutter is the new whipping boy, eh?

Sutter is a good player, who is still trying to find his groove after being out with an injury. There's no reason to dump all over him. Although, I agree that management should strongly consider trading him. Not because he's no good, but because EP, Horvat, Gaudette, and Beagle seem very capable to cover the C positions going forward.

Ideally, we could trade him for a young C with middle-6 upside (Gaudette-like), who is still developing in the AHL. Then we'd have a back-up ready the next time there is an injury. With Gaudette up, Gaunce is really the only C in the system who could handle a call-up.

Sutter at the deadline for a 1st+ in 2019 would be ideal.

Allows us to keep Edler while also adding to our cupboard for the draft in Vancouver.

I have been a Sutter fan throughout his Canucks tenure, but now is the time to capitalize

My Shaw Direct failed me again last night. 3 games lost so far this year. The SN news comes on after the game as strong as ever. At that I could not stomach thru 25 minutes of Laffer BS to see the Canuck highlights. Strong phone call to follow. Maybe Telus Optic is the way to go. 

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Would be nice and maybe we see both take turns throwing couple  hits on Matheson next game. 

Matheson being a d-man you are better off hoping the forecheckers take away his space. Don't see our d-men getting too many looks to hit the opposing team's d-men. If we do one of them is way, way outta position.

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

v) Boeser was disappointing tonight. There seems to be some controversy over his play. He just was not sharp tonight. It happens. Boeser has a great shot and a high hockey IQ. And he tries to play responsible defense. But he does not drive play and, if his timing is a bit off, as it was tonight, he will have a quiet night. He is still a legitimate first line winger and a very good player, but I think there has been a  tendency to over-rate him. Obviously he benefits a lot if he can play with EP, but EP is the guy driving play.

Agree with you entire post James.

Thought Boeser set up a few chances, but his otherwise lethal shot has been a bit off recently. Thought it helped ones Baertschi got promoted to his line.

Still part of out 3 best forwards...

Baertschi played really well last night.

The one big disappointment for me continues to be Erikssons play... Basically a ghost... Wake up man...

14 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Matheson being a d-man you are better off hoping the forecheckers take away his space. Don't see our d-men getting too many looks to hit the opposing team's d-men. If we do one of them is way, way outta position.

I honestly see the Canucks focusing more on their game rather than looking for retribution. If there is an opportunity to throw in a hit then by all means do it. 

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Would be nice and maybe we see both take turns throwing couple  hits on Matheson next game. 

Only if the opportunity presented itself. Matheson isn't really a dynamic defenseman, so I can't see him being far enough up ice for Edler or Gudbranson to have the ability to hit him without being considerably out of position themselves.

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I honestly see the Canucks focusing more on their game rather than looking for retribution. If there is an opportunity to throw in a hit then by all means do it. 

I agree. Lay him out and injure him with a big hit...I'm looking at Jake or Roussel for this.

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Yeah it's never really been the Canucks style to target people like that. To end 2018 the team was feisty for a bit, but not so much anymore. 

This team is dealing with something internally to be so lethargic after days off and at a point in the season where points are on the line. The urgency that needs to be in their game is lacking. I'd hope that Benning is getting a real good look at the team right now, and is devising a way to get rid of the passengers on the team that aren't contributing.

I contacted Shaw Cable this morning to tell them the Service I pay for from them failed me again last night. The only reason I have Shaw is for the Canucks games and again they failed me.  They offered me a 1 day refund..... yes 1 day refund... I took it.  What a fn joke. 

For most of the game they played tentative. Other times just plain sloppy.

For about 10% of the game they played well. 

Just not good enough against a poor team like Arizona.

I am a big supporter of Granlund but there is no way in hell he should have been on ice in OT.

Put Gaudette's young legs out there instead. Even if he fails at least it can be a learning opportunity.

6 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

I contacted Shaw Cable this morning to tell them the Service I pay for from them failed me again last night. The only reason I have Shaw is for the Canucks games and again they failed me.  They offered me a 1 day refund..... yes 1 day refund... I took it.  What a fn joke. 

Just use the interwebs for free my man

10 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I don't know why but I feel like the Canucks rarely if ever beat the Coyotes.  They're the Canucks kryptonite.

Well the Canucks have 26 losses in 46 games so it's not only Arizona that beats us. It's a bit of a stretch to compare the team to Superman at this point in time. 

8 hours ago, JamesB said:

I was at the game tonight and it was a frustrating loss, although there were some bright spots. Since I was there I thought I would write a summary. To me the things that stood out were the following.

1. The first period was about the Canuck's weakest offensive period that I can remember this season, apart from they were protecting a lead in the third. They failed to register a shot on goal in the first 15 minutes. In fact, the first shot was by Adam Gaudette at 15:27 and it was an unscreened shot from a long way out. The Canucks had a bit of a flurry late and ended up 5 shots on goal in total. But only one of those shots was close to being dangerous -- by Baertschi from in close. 

That said, the Canucks did not give up much in the first period. Arizona had a big territorial advantages but only got 7 shots on goal with only a couple of high danger chances.

2. The second period was completely different. The Canucks dominated play and outshot and outchanced Arizona by a big margin and were unlucky to finish the period in a 2-2 tie. Even before he scored, I thought Baertschi was the best Canuck on the ice. He had a lot of jump tonight -- getting to pucks quickly.

3. The first Arizona goal was deflating. Guddy made a hard pass around to Tanev, who was on the left side. That pass would have been easier to handle for a left-handed D, but I guess the Canucks were caught in an incomplete change. The result was a giveaway. Ultimately the puck was passed in front where Guddy and Panik were waiting. Panik got to the puck more quickly. I am not saying that Guddy made bad plays on that goal. I am saying that a guy with a better feel for the puck and quicker hands would probably have prevented that goal.

4. Baertschi came back with a very nice goal on a great pass from Tanev.

5. The second Arizona goal came against the run of the play. Goldy had a good opportunity at the Arizona end and it looked like he might have been tripped. But he spent too long lying on the ice and Arizona took the puck the other way and scored. Possibly the puck was kicked in. But I thought Marky should have handled the initial shot better. Opinion on CDC seems divided on Marky tonight. I thought he was fighting the puck at bit and not tracking it as well as he has in recent games. That was the last shift Goldy played on the Horvat line. Baertschi moved on to that line and it  played better from then on.

6. Great to see Gaudette score. And it was a nice goal in the sense that it resulted from doing the right thing -- going to the net and getting to the puck first. He played hard tonight and played pretty well, but he made a mistake on the third Arizona goal. He had an opportunity to get the puck out but did not do so. He just needed to bear down and get the puck out. And it did not help that Goldy was floating out over the blue line on that play.

7. The Canucks outplayed Arizona in the third and in OT, with a significant territorial advantage. They had a lot of good looks on the PP but could not bury the puck.

8. As for individual players, here is my read:

i) Baertschi had an excellent game, dangerous offensively and responsible defensively.

ii)Edler was a rock. The winning goal may have ticked in off his stick but I don't think he made any mistake on that play. The Canucks should re-sign him ASAP. He is 32 years old -- younger than Jay Beagle (33). GIven the way he is playing there is every reason to believe that he will be a valuable D for at least another 3 years. Too many things can go wrong if the the Canucks persuade him to drop his NTC and trade him, although I admit it would be tempting if they could get a first round pick.

iii) Gaudette looks promising. He is another bright spot.

iv) To answer Haydnucks, Pouliot was pretty good tonight. I worry about confirmation bias in my views -- I see what I expect to see. But I expect to see Pouliot screw up a lot and that did not happen tonight. He was solid. He did not create much offense but he did not give up anything on D.

v) Boeser was disappointing tonight. There seems to be some controversy over his play. He just was not sharp tonight. It happens. Boeser has a great shot and a high hockey IQ. And he tries to play responsible defense. But he does not drive play and, if his timing is a bit off, as it was tonight, he will have a quiet night. He is still a legitimate first line winger and a very good player, but I think there has been a  tendency to over-rate him. Obviously he benefits a lot if he can play with EP, but EP is the guy driving play.

vi) I was expecting Goldy to do some floating tonight and this time I did see what I expected. He makes life tough on his center (Bo or Gaudette tonight) because they have to cover for his defensive lapses. However, he had some good looks tonight, especially on the PP, and should have buried something. I am not sure that is good or bad: good that he gets in position for good chances or bad that he cannot bear down and bury more chances.

vi) The Beagle and Sutter lines did not generate much but they did not give up much either. Most of the chances came from the Horvat line and the Gaudette line. (Horvat and Baertschi each had 6 shots and Gaudette, Boeser and Goldy had 3 each.)

Bottom line: The Canucks should have won but at least they got to OT and it great to Baertschi and Gaudette doing well.

Markstrom played good but I think his hot streak from December is over. I don’t blame the OT goal, it was a rolling puck  flutter shot. It’s his rebound management and efficiency, he doesn’t look as unbeatable.

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team is dealing with something internally to be so lethargic after days off and at a point in the season where points are on the line. The urgency that needs to be in their game is lacking. I'd hope that Benning is getting a real good look at the team right now, and is devising a way to get rid of the passengers on the team that aren't contributing.

Devising a way to get rid of passengers. Yes, I mean after all I am sure there is quite a list of teams willing to pick up Erickson's contract, for example. Or Sutter's. Or maybe guys who are not good enough for the Canucks are not good enough for anyone else? We are talking about a team that is 6 games below .500 here, not yet a power house, obviously. 

Archived