The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 10, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

34 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Where is Virtanen anyway? He's gone completely cold for a couple of weeks now and it's not just on the scoresheet.

He is clueless once he gains the zone. Always stops up and makes a bad pass through legs that goes the other way, or circles behind the net and throws it to Tanev where plays go to die. 

53 minutes ago, KeslerWho? said:

Expecting more from Boeser next season

Different hockey pundits have said they see him as a regular 60-70 point guy... not a top scorer in the league.

They are probably right, he might get a few more if he is patrolling Peterson’s wing.

He isn’t a guy driving the offence, he is a guy that has the skill to be opportunistic and take advantage of playing with the guys who drive the offence.

Teams usually fair poorly after a long break, so that’s a well earned point and now...on to the next one.

On a different note...

Coach green wants to see a fast and aggressive team out on the ice...well perhaps he should swap ice times of Sutter, Granlund and Eriksson with guys like Motte, Beagle and Gaudette. Overall, Sutter, granny and Eriksson have never impressed me in a Canucks uniform..and I really don’t see them as high energy players. Yea they help out with the PK, but they look like pylons when attacking as well. 

Heck the best I’ve seen out of Sutter this year was him helping out with the 50/50 sales. Wouldn’t mind seeing either of the 3 traded, cuz it’d take a miracle to trade them all. 

Markstrom after the game:

"They still don't have any soccer fans in Toronto, so, I don't know how they don't call that back. It's happened before, it's going to happen again, and we need to get some soccer fans in Toronto. It's very frustrating, and it's not the first time, so... *deep sigh*"

this whole love affair with grandlund from the canucks org as a whole has too end.  three years is enough punishment and jimbo needs to send him down for the rest of the season.    put schaller in and let him know he is next if that $&!# keeps up ect.          this team isnt playing like they are fighting for a wildcard spot... literally loosing the games they need for points by not showing up.     green run the bag off them at practice tommorow

46 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

Can't believe some idiots are already giving up on Boeser. Are your f***ing kidding me?!

Yeah, its nuts.  He's not fast. But plays fast. Makes plays at the pace people are moving around him at. Then slips in that wicked shot.

With Petey gone, he is the predominant forward taking on zone entries. Getting the PP set up. Even with Pettersson, Brock is often the guy taking those drop passes from Edler. Making his way, with the puck, into the offensive zone.

Waay better than people are giving him credit for. 

Man, wouldn't it be nice if the refs had to do post game interviews? 

On one hand, it might seem absurd but on the other hand, if they had a valid reason for calling the game or play a certain way, the fans might still be upset but they might understand. 

Right now, we have no idea why they didn't call off the kicked goal. 

Also, what a joke of a league. I chuckled to myself at one point when i remembered that the NHL owned the coyotes at one time. What kind of a bush league owns a team? Conflict of interest much? 

Q.Hughes' offence generating attributes from the blue line are sorely lacking on this team.  Precise break out passes, generating havoc from the blue line in the O zone, and mobility on the blue line on the PP. How many times does the puck go back to the blue line where either a muffin shot is launched off a shin pad or the play dies due to a bad pass or low percentage play?  Edler and Hutton are having decent seasons in terms of points...the other guys on D seem to be a void for long stretches (I cringe at Guddy's break out passes ....)

21 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

He is clueless once he gains the zone. Always stops up and makes a bad pass through legs that goes the other way, or circles behind the net and throws it to Tanev where plays go to die. 

He's an ideal possession player on that basis.

Unfortunately, our defense cannot handle a puck and then do anything aside from shinpad rebounds.

Put it like this; if Virtanen was playing with Karlsson, Letang, or any other defenceman that knows what to do when they get the puck, they'd be a magical F-D pairing. Virtanen can blow into the zone, either with speed or power. He demonstrates it again and again. But he does get closed out, which is fine, normal. So if he gains the zone, and has a defenceman to actually pass to who can hold it, or made another possession play, that frees up Virtanen to occupy the net area after the zone entry (which we've seen a few times). He can then either take off and retain possession along the half wall if there's no play - leaving the D to reset and be available for the pass or a possible one-timer if a winger pulls to cover someone else, OR , he's in front for tips and garbage goals.

I feel like Virtanen is a support player on that basis. Reminds me of a guy who will 'play as good as the 'next' best player on his line'. Like: If he's playing with 4th liners, he'll be as good as the best 4th liner on that line.

But our defence is where the play, and the puck goes to die. So it takes that option away, and I do believe other teams see it, if you watch how they close up in the zone. The point men are simply covered by the straight angles; they know nobody is going to do a fancy play or a really super crisp pass from our blue line.

7 minutes ago, brownky said:

He's an ideal possession player on that basis.

Unfortunately, our defense cannot handle a puck and then do anything aside from shinpad rebounds.

Put it like this; if Virtanen was playing with Karlsson, Letang, or any other defenceman that knows what to do when they get the puck, they'd be a magical F-D pairing. Virtanen can blow into the zone, either with speed or power. He demonstrates it again and again. But he does get closed out, which is fine, normal. So if he gains the zone, and has a defenceman to actually pass to who can hold it, or made another possession play, that frees up Virtanen to occupy the net area after the zone entry (which we've seen a few times). He can then either take off and retain possession along the half wall if there's no play - leaving the D to reset and be available for the pass or a possible one-timer if a winger pulls to cover someone else, OR , he's in front for tips and garbage goals.

I feel like Virtanen is a support player on that basis. Reminds me of a guy who will 'play as good as the 'next' best player on his line'. Like: If he's playing with 4th liners, he'll be as good as the best 4th liner on that line.

But our defence is where the play, and the puck goes to die. So it takes that option away, and I do believe other teams see it, if you watch how they close up in the zone. The point men are simply covered by the straight angles; they know nobody is going to do a fancy play or a really super crisp pass from our blue line.

Vancouver hasn't drafted, traded for or signed a top pairing defensemen since Erhoff. Before that it was Salo. We are going nowhere with our blue line as is. The list of drafted defenders that never developed or panned out is long.

Archived