The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Rick Nash announces retirement

very surprised to see this this morning but I understand completely why he needed to retire. Hopefully there is no long lasting effects from multiple concussions. The NHL should police headshots a lot more harder for this very reason.

It's not entirely unexpected really.  That was an ugly series of events for him.  He was when he wanted to be, a damn great player

But at the same time.  What a frustrating meh of a hockey talent with the way he went about things.  All the talent of Kovalev in a power forward with less actual motivation depending on where he was playing

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's not entirely unexpected really.  That was an ugly series of events for him.  He was when he wanted to be, a damn great player

But at the same time.  What a frustrating meh of a hockey talent with the way he went about things.  All the talent of Kovalev in a power forward with less actual motivation depending on where he was playing

Yeah I know it’s bad taste given the timing to say this but I thought he was overrated (for the reasons you stated).  Still sad to hear how his career has ended.  You hope the concussion effects will diminish somewhat over time as he gets older.

Pretty classy of him to retire. He put up 21 goals last year, he could have easily found a team willing to sign him to like a $10 million, 3 year deal, and then gone on injured reserves pretty quickly. Seems like a lot of NHL players end up doing stuff like that. He already hit the jackpot though, with his $7.8 million per year, 8 year contract to Columbus.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He was my favourite player olympics 2010.

really showed his ability to

dominate as you said, when he wants to.

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

He was my favourite player olympics 2010.

really showed his ability to

dominate as you said, when he wants to.

Post Columbus contract he lost all drive and desire to compete it seemed.  I loved him as a player when he was younger but he seemed to exemplify the kind of player who seems to mail it in after their big pay day

Just looking back at his trade list, and according to HockeyDB Florida traded 1st overall for 3rd overall, but that is all it says. So what else did Florida get for trading the pick that Columbus used to pick Nash besides just the 3rd overall (Jay Bouwmeester) ?

Archived