The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Strength of Schedule: Canucks can make a run

Zigmund.Palffy

We paid our dues early on...timing might be just right for this.

These guys are determined and I like that.  Showed last night.

Keep your eyes on the prize, Canucks.  Playoffs offer invaluable experience and an opportunity for growth for these young guys.  Team tank ignores that part of it.  I'm invested in these players moving forward...sure, add pieces however possible that fit with our rebuild.  But not at the expense of those in place...who are adopting a winning culture and learning how to play tough and go to bat for/with one another.

Started the year with some hefty eastern road trips, good to get those out of the way early. Injures decimated the team early too, and they're almost healthy again. I expect Pettersson to come back with a vengeance and will the Canucks to a playoff spot. Should be an exciting stretch.

29 minutes ago, Zach Parise said:

https://www.tsn.ca/strength-of-schedule-and-its-impact-on-playoff-races-1.1241110

according to tsn, Canucks have a favorable schedule in feburary and march that could see them make a run for a playoff spot.

Hmm this could be interesting.

Is this the same clowns who predicted Canucks in last place earlier...

I'm hopeful that we can make the playoffs, but at the same time, I don't feel like Canucks brass should decide to keep players like Tanev, Edler, Del Zotto, Granlund, or Goldobin simply because we may make the playoffs. Those are still players that they should be open to trading at the TDL and let the chips fall where they may regarding the playoffs. While I do believe that a playoff appearance has intrinsic value to the development of the players, I wouldn't say that value exceeds what a couple of possible high round draft picks may be able to provide to this team in the future.

they should be on the bubble at least.. I'd love to see their hard work pay off, even if they don't get past the first round.

We know Bo's a stud, and Edler and Tanev know the ropes, but it'll be interesting to see how EP, BB, JV and Marky handle themselves. 

that said, I wouldn't sacrifice much to get there

Colorado is 3-10-3 in their last 16 games
Anaheim is 0-7-4 in their last 11 games

That is 3 wins in 27 games combined. Two worst teams in the league right now by far. Because of their poor play, they have both dropped from "sure to make the playoffs" to bubble teams and we are primed to take advantage.

But we need to win the next 4 games we play before the deadline There is no excuse for us not to win them. We are healthy (assuming Pettersson comes back on Wednesday), we are well rested, and we are playing all 4 games at home. If, on the other hand, we were to lose all 4 of these games then we would almost certainly see a sell-off at the TDL for draft picks. Someone like Edler might be traded to a playoff team.

I will be cheering for us to win and hope we can somehow make the playoffs. Let's go canucks!

:towel:

I wish Hughes just joined the nucks after the world jrs. As we’ve seen with Boeser and Pettersson, they’re both different makers right away. Hughes is the same caliber of prospect and with his skating I see him taking the NHL by storm, especially with Petey on the team. Just like Ghostisbere did when he came from college, but Hughes is a superior prospect. His defensive game make take a while, but pair him with Tanev and he’ll be good to go. Hopefully we’re in the playoff hunt when he joins at the end of the season.

I'd love to see them compete in the playoffs this season, but at the same time we can't go all in either. If there's a deal to be made for vets like Tanev or even underperforming younger players like Granlund to get more draft picks we gotta do it.  

As long as we still have Brock, Elias, and Bo we could still hold our place until the playoffs. Sure we'd lose a lot of depth that a serious contender would need to go far in the SCP, but the main goal would be more to give players playoff experience.

And it seems like where JB shines is picking the gems no one else sees so I'm not as concerned about falling down the draft. Jack was always going to be a long shot anyways, knowing our luck.

Maybe, but if they did make it what would next year's team look like? Would the team be trying t keep and add on a player here and there?

To be successful in the playoffs they have to win 16 games of 28 without shoot outs.

Just making the playoffs should be the lowest expectations of fans. Colorado and Edmonton made the playoffs due to an easy schedule and then struggled for two plus years because they did just enough to get fans buying tickets and excited.

I would hate to see the refrain for the Canucks be "next year" like it has been 5 or 6 times since joining the league.

I posted before that Pettersson might be too good too soon for this team, they still need more top six (NHL calibre) forwards and dmen (one more draft player that can step in immediately not named Hughes). I posted in another thread how many 5'8" to 5'9" Norris trophy winners or candidates' have there been in the history of the league?

We need to stay healthy.

I've been hoping all season that the majority of our injuries would be front-loaded and leave us healthy on the back end of the season. When healthy, we can compete with anyone (as we've seen).

If we stay healthy, we have a better shot at regaining the intensity, spark and fire needed for a push. We need to see the same level of intensity that we saw early in the season.

If the playoffs are in sight, that should keep the motivation high. We always play better with something on the line or at stake. 

Imo, Boeser really needs to return to form, Virtanen needs to emerge like he did late last year, Marky needs to be rock solid (same with Demko), and everyone needs to come together. Really, EP, BB, and Bo need to pull everyone forward. We can't be a one-man team unnecessarily. 

It's really going to be up to them. Getting into the playoffs would certainly prove to everyone on the team what they're capable of accomplishing. After the last few seasons, I think it's imperative our guys actually believe they can win. Making the playoffs would only help in changing the culture to the new era.

This could be really fun to watch over the coming weeks. 

20 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Maybe, but if they did make it what would next year's team look like? Would the team be trying t keep and add on a player here and there?

To be successful in the playoffs they have to win 16 games of 28 without shoot outs.

Just making the playoffs should be the lowest expectations of fans. Colorado and Edmonton made the playoffs due to an easy schedule and then struggled for two plus years because they did just enough to get fans buying tickets and excited.

I would hate to see the refrain for the Canucks be "next year" like it has been 5 or 6 times since joining the league.

I posted before that Pettersson might be too good too soon for this team, they still need more top six (NHL calibre) forwards and dmen (one more draft player that can step in immediately not named Hughes). I posted in another thread how many 5'8" to 5'9" Norris trophy winners or candidates' have there been in the history of the league?

None that I know of but Quinn Hughes is 5'10", which would make him the same height as Randy Carlyle and Pierre Pilote; an inch shorter than Erik Karlsson, Ray Bourque, Doug Harvey, and Red Kelly. That's 19 Norris trophies between them.

Play offs? We could squeak our way in - and what an experience for these young guns . Even if we only make the 1st round it will show them how hard the grind becomes - how much harder they need to play - how much more they have to learn and how much more they need to bond - the next 2 months are interesting

11 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

Play offs? We could squeak our way in - and what an experience for these young guns . Even if we only make the 1st round it will show them how hard the grind becomes - how much harder they need to play - how much more they have to learn and how much more they need to bond - the next 2 months are interesting

I even think we could upset a team in round 1.

Personally I think if they play hard for 60 minutes each game and fall short that's a win. 

Playoffs or not we need chemistry, commitment and to stand up for each other. The rest will sort itself out. 

Any comments I have about the GM's job would be redundant with other posts I've made. But yeah please Jim make us better now and later, easy right?!

Archived