The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Strength of Schedule: Canucks can make a run

Zigmund.Palffy

45 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Maybe, but if they did make it what would next year's team look like? Would the team be trying t keep and add on a player here and there?

To be successful in the playoffs they have to win 16 games of 28 without shoot outs.

Just making the playoffs should be the lowest expectations of fans. Colorado and Edmonton made the playoffs due to an easy schedule and then struggled for two plus years because they did just enough to get fans buying tickets and excited.

I would hate to see the refrain for the Canucks be "next year" like it has been 5 or 6 times since joining the league.

I posted before that Pettersson might be too good too soon for this team, they still need more top six (NHL calibre) forwards and dmen (one more draft player that can step in immediately not named Hughes). I posted in another thread how many 5'8" to 5'9" Norris trophy winners or candidates' have there been in the history of the league?

15 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

None that I know of but Quinn Hughes is 5'10", which would make him the same height as Randy Carlyle and Pierre Pilote; an inch shorter than Erik Karlsson, Ray Bourque, Doug Harvey, and Red Kelly. That's 19 Norris trophies between them.

Geez, can we take it down a notch already!?!  Already talking about the Norris Trophy for a player not even in the NHL yet.  That's crazy.  We don't need Hughes to be a Norris winner or candidate for this team to be successful.

Pretty sure, the same conversation happened 2-3 years ago with Juolevi and look where we are now.  

Hughes becoming our #1 D and entering the discussion of a Norris Trophy would be a pipe dream.  It's not impossible, but I wouldn't bet my house on that.  Realistically, if he's a solid top 2/3 that could play on any contender team, then Benning would be happy and say mission accomplish after drafting him.  Anything better than that is gravy and wishful thinking.

44 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We need to stay healthy.

I've been hoping all season that the majority of our injuries would be front-loaded and leave us healthy on the back end of the season. When healthy, we can compete with anyone (as we've seen).

If we stay healthy, we have a better shot at regaining the intensity, spark and fire needed for a push. We need to see the same level of intensity that we saw early in the season.

If the playoffs are in sight, that should keep the motivation high. We always play better with something on the line or at stake. 

Imo, Boeser really needs to return to form, Virtanen needs to emerge like he did late last year, Marky needs to be rock solid (same with Demko), and everyone needs to come together. Really, EP, BB, and Bo need to pull everyone forward. We can't be a one-man team unnecessarily. 

It's really going to be up to them. Getting into the playoffs would certainly prove to everyone on the team what they're capable of accomplishing. After the last few seasons, I think it's imperative our guys actually believe they can win. Making the playoffs would only help in changing the culture to the new era.

This could be really fun to watch over the coming weeks. 

i think they're just finding where players fit and where the chemistry is now that players are (mostly healthy).  Getting their true mojo back will be a bit of a process and as long as they can stay competitive during that transition, they'll be in good shape for the final push.

I think Jake has been one of the most consistent, most effective players on the roster from day one.  I'd like to see him on the scoresheet more, but he has been excellent otherwise.....imo.

Boes is a pure sniper and not at all effective when he's not scoring.

1 hour ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

I wish Hughes just joined the nucks after the world jrs. As we’ve seen with Boeser and Pettersson, they’re both different makers right away. Hughes is the same caliber of prospect and with his skating I see him taking the NHL by storm, especially with Petey on the team. Just like Ghostisbere did when he came from college, but Hughes is a superior prospect. His defensive game make take a while, but pair him with Tanev and he’ll be good to go. Hopefully we’re in the playoff hunt when he joins at the end of the season.

I know people have reason to be excited to see Quinn Hughes but I feel like the risk to burn a year of his ELC but most importantly his two years of pro hockey expansion draft rule would also kick in. What this means is that after the 2020/2021 season Quinn would have to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft and we will be forced to lose a good piece because of us playing Quinn at the end of the year. While sure it would be great to see him play at the end of the year. The risk of losing a depth defenseman would be poor assest management and I hope Benning waits to next year to play Quinn. Saves us a spot to protect on our D come the ED.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

Geez, can we take it down a notch already!?!  Already talking about the Norris Trophy for a player not even in the NHL yet.  That's crazy.  We don't need Hughes to be a Norris winner or candidate for this team to be successful.

Pretty sure, the same conversation happened 2-3 years ago with Juolevi and look where we are now.  

Hughes becoming our #1 D and entering the discussion of a Norris Trophy would be a pipe dream.  It's not impossible, but I wouldn't bet my house on that.  Realistically, if he's a solid top 2/3 that could play on any contender team, then Benning would be happy and say mission accomplish after drafting him.  Anything better than that is gravy and wishful thinking.

If Hughes isn't a Norris winner within 3 years I say we trade him for Phaneuf.

23 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

Play offs? We could squeak our way in - and what an experience for these young guns . Even if we only make the 1st round it will show them how hard the grind becomes - how much harder they need to play - how much more they have to learn and how much more they need to bond - the next 2 months are interesting

12 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I even think we could upset a team in round 1.

And then what? The team would still need to bring in more youth to replace the aging vets, while it would/will be needed for the kiddies to learn the playoff grind having only 5 or 6 players that will be here in 3 years isn't that helpful.

9 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Honestly if the Canucks just play with more hate and more intensity, we will be better.

:lol: an interesting observation, sort of like "if he scores on that shot the game has a different outcome"

I get it though they need to get meaner. Beating the Nucks wouldn't be all that hard really in a playoff series, pound the heck out of Tanev, Edler, Horvat and get involved with the goalie. Any two of the three and win. Just no depth and what if they did make it and lost all 4 in row? Build on that core? I am still thinking they are 27th, with very little if anything done at the TDL. Edler signs elsewhere or for home discount salary but long term with a clause.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

And then what? The team would still need to bring in more youth to replace the aging vets, while it would/will be needed for the kiddies to learn the playoff grind having only 5 or 6 players that will be here in 3 years isn't that helpful.

Im sorry but by that logic we should purposely get dead last every year and then go for the cup once, followed by more dead last.

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I'm not saying Hughes will ever win a Norris (though I can certainly wish it!). I was just correcting a falsehood about Hughes' height and pointing out that you don't need to 6'1"+ to have success as a D in the NHL.

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

Im sorry but by that logic we should purposely get dead last every year and then go for the cup once, followed by more dead last.

No it shouldn't, unless you know some way to get young star players then drafting is the only way.

Everyone forgets the CBA year and the likelihood of a disrupted season and what that will do to that year's draft. That is only one more season away. There is a very good chance there will be new draft rules that will take previous season into account to eliminate tanking for the top 3 picks. The Canucks are still the worst team in the league over the last 3 years and this year combined. That may help the team get a top pick but that could be cancelled with one trip to the playoffs, a draft clause of a playoff team cannot be illegible for a top 3 pick over a ____? year period

Think of the future not just the now.

This management group went through almost 4 years of thinking for the "now" but ended up with rewards out of the suffering in Pettersson at the draft, certainly not a trade, not one trade has made a difference. The team has finished near the bottom every year so which traded player improved that?

Suffered through 6 years of futility already. Do the fans want to see a repeat of what happens if they make the show this year? Three more years of signing over priced aging vets to prop up a chance to get to the show again.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Suffered through 6 years of futility already. Do the fans want to see a repeat of what happens if they make the show this year? Three more years of signing over priced aging vets to prop up a chance to get to the show again.

Who said anything of the sort?

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Imo, Boeser really needs to return to form,

People keep saying this and I don't understand what more people expect? All things considered, Boeser has had a decent sophmore year - far better than most. Boeser has 15 goals and 29 points in 34 games. I'm not complaining. Best of all, he is trending upwards not downwards. That's what you want to see - a player get progressively better over the course of the season.

1 hour ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Colorado is 3-10-3 in their last 16 games
Anaheim is 0-7-4 in their last 11 games

That is 3 wins in 27 games combined. Two worst teams in the league right now by far. Because of their poor play, they have both dropped from "sure to make the playoffs" to bubble teams and we are primed to take advantage.

But we need to win the next 4 games we play before the deadline There is no excuse for us not to win them. We are healthy (assuming Pettersson comes back on Wednesday), we are well rested, and we are playing all 4 games at home. If, on the other hand, we were to lose all 4 of these games then we would almost certainly see a sell-off at the TDL for draft picks. Someone like Edler might be traded to a playoff team.

I will be cheering for us to win and hope we can somehow make the playoffs. Let's go canucks!

:towel:

I think you’re a month ahead, the deadline isn’t until February 25th which is 16 games away still

1 hour ago, Bo fan said:

Play offs? We could squeak our way in - and what an experience for these young guns . Even if we only make the 1st round it will show them how hard the grind becomes - how much harder they need to play - how much more they have to learn and how much more they need to bond - the next 2 months are interesting

and how different the energy in the buildings is.. must bring butterflies first time around

2 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Colorado is 3-10-3 in their last 16 games
Anaheim is 0-7-4 in their last 11 games

That is 3 wins in 27 games combined. Two worst teams in the league right now by far. Because of their poor play, they have both dropped from "sure to make the playoffs" to bubble teams and we are primed to take advantage.

But we need to win the next 4 games we play before the deadline There is no excuse for us not to win them. We are healthy (assuming Pettersson comes back on Wednesday), we are well rested, and we are playing all 4 games at home. If, on the other hand, we were to lose all 4 of these games then we would almost certainly see a sell-off at the TDL for draft picks. Someone like Edler might be traded to a playoff team.

I will be cheering for us to win and hope we can somehow make the playoffs. Let's go canucks!

:towel:

you mean 4 games till all star break..? 

I hope if they do make it ,or at least make a good run at it, fans are generally supportive instead of maligning the lack of lottery pick.  It would stand to reason that if they make it or are close they weren't going to bad enough to be bottom 10 so it wasn't like a significant chance was being forfeited. What would people prefer (poorer performance/7-10% of top 3 pick/ 90+% chance of 11-14) or (good+ performance/ 50~% chance of playoffs/pick 13-17 with still a small chance to move up if the playoffs are missed) ?  A lot of variables to consider.

Archived