The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Strength of Schedule: Canucks can make a run

Zigmund.Palffy

They have a lot better chance than people are giving them credit for. They could play 500 and stay where they are. If they didn't have the stretch that had 13 games in 25 nights with a sandwiched home game surrounded by two road trips! And they are only 1 point out. Now they have an easy schedule from here until play-offs. They will lose some and they will get in. They might even have a 3 game losing stretch. The team is young and like I said in November. They just have to be close in Feb and they will be in!  

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

We paid our dues early on...timing might be just right for this.

These guys are determined and I like that.  Showed last night.

Keep your eyes on the prize, Canucks.  Playoffs offer invaluable experience and an opportunity for growth for these young guys.  Team tank ignores that part of it.  I'm invested in these players moving forward...sure, add pieces however possible that fit with our rebuild.  But not at the expense of those in place...who are adopting a winning culture and learning how to play tough and go to bat for/with one another.

There are no negatives for the current core of players/prospects for the Canucks squeaking in or having a run and just missing - having meaningful games over the last month of the season is one of the best times to be part of a team.   I personally remain of the opinion that they won't make it BUT of course I am cheering for them to do well each and every game and would be super happy for them to get into the mix.   Draft lottery unlikely miracles aside, finishing 7th or 8th in the West versus 9th or 10th won't mean a lot to the pick they get but will to the current core of players and getting a chance, for but one of many examples, to see what Virtanen does in a playoff series would be really interesting.   

I hope they don't do anything silly and add pieces at the TDL with an eye on the playoffs - and at the same time if offered something too high to refuse they don't turn it down due to being close to the playoffs - those would be my only two caveats to the push.

As has been discussed in many different ways past few months, this IS a different team than last year and you can sense things have turned a big corner.   Whether it fully shows in the standings at the end of the year is still uncertain but Deb - I think a lot of the "winning culture" is already showing up and is in the room in compare to the past few seasons.   ANYONE who is lumping this group into any team of the past few  years under the current management regime is simply ignoring what is actually happening on the ice.   :)

I honestly think we are going to miss wildcard by 3-4 points..Colorado, Minnesoda are going to get wild card spots..

I would be trading one of Edler or Tanev at trade deadline..

Forwards that must be traded Sutter to playoff contender, Gaudette needs to play in this role  --return 2nd rounder and prospect..

Del Zotto --- depth to playoff team 4th or 5th rounder..

Pouliot 25 -- might get 5th rounder?

Goldy 23 ---- Ceci 25, 6'2 RD would fit in nice...

Jim please try and make these trades, Sutter in valuable to playoff team and we have Gaudette that can play 3rd line centre...

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I honestly think we are going to miss wildcard by 3-4 points..Colorado, Minnesoda are going to get wild card spots..

Forwards that must be traded Sutter to playoff contender, Gaudette needs to play in this role  --return 2nd rounder and prospect..

Jim please try and make these trades, Sutter in valuable to playoff team and we have Gaudette that can play 3rd line centre...

This team is significantly better with Sutter in the line up. I don't get why anyone is on the trade Sutter train. He takes hard minutes from Bo. 

Just now, 5Fivehole0 said:

This team is significantly better with Sutter in the line up. I don't get why anyone is on the trade Sutter train. He takes hard minutes from Bo. 

You have 1.Pettersson, 2. Bo 3. Gaudette, 4. Beagle..

Beagle is there to take pressure off Bo on faceoffs..

Do not need Beagle and Sutter...Gaudette will be better then Sutter..

Just now, wildcam said:

Bo can play 21 mins a game, Pettersson can play 20 min...Bo is a horse and need him out on ice as he is a offensive threat..Sutter has stone hands..

4 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Gaudette isn't better than Sutter now though, and won't be next year presumably. Gaudette is not Boeser, EP, or Horvat.  Kids got skill and you can see he's going to carve out a career in the NHL, just not yet. Let him have some success first.

Playoffs would be a great experience for sure. It would be alot of fun to finally have playoff hockey to watch again. But we should still keep the long-term view in mind when it comes to the TDL.

Thankfully the wildcard race is basically alot of non-playoff caliber teams battling it out for the last spot(s) but if the other team's weren't as bad as they are I don't think we'd have as good a chance as we do. I'll definitely enjoy playoffs if we make it but I do think we need to still need to get more great players through the draft. 

59 minutes ago, wildcam said:

If they do just miss I feel they are due a lottery win...jump in to the top 5 again. Although, there are are some interesting D prospects projected to go between picks 12 through 22.

Not many experts expected us to be in the playoff hunt in 2019, let alone in the fall of 2018.  Pretty nice to read these posts and all the positive things said.  I’m happy the team still had a chance and over the next six weeks or so they will gain valuable experience as teams tighten up and some nights even play with playoff intensity...good times are coming.

11 hours ago, Fateless said:

I'm hopeful that we can make the playoffs, but at the same time, I don't feel like Canucks brass should decide to keep players like Tanev, Edler, Del Zotto, Granlund, or Goldobin simply because we may make the playoffs. Those are still players that they should be open to trading at the TDL and let the chips fall where they may regarding the playoffs. While I do believe that a playoff appearance has intrinsic value to the development of the players, I wouldn't say that value exceeds what a couple of possible high round draft picks may be able to provide to this team in the future.

At this point the rebuild is more important then the playoffs

5 hours ago, wildcam said:

Agreed that we have Pettersson, Bo, Gaudette and Beagle as C, But Sutter is still the important C for the team.

Because of injuries, only 4 C is not sufficient, we need 5 quality C. Personally I think Sutter, at least, is fitting the team right now.

I don't want to compare him with Gaudette and Beagle, as they work different roles.

Also, Sutter can also play wing, providing more flexible to the coach.

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Gaudette isn't better than Sutter now though, and won't be next year presumably. Gaudette is not Boeser, EP, or Horvat.  Kids got skill and you can see he's going to carve out a career in the NHL, just not yet. Let him have some success first.

Need to trade Sutter at trade deadline to get more assets?? When this team is ready to make a good playoff run in 3 years Sutter will be 32? We Don;t need 2 defensive centres being Beagle and Sutter..

Get more picks and Sutter should get a 2nd rounder and maybe a prospect...Don't wait Sutters value is higher at this point...

Get more picks or young prospects and Sutter will get you this....Would rather have Beagle then Sutter....

Make room for young guys to develop ....Gaudette will be ready to play 3rd line centre next year....

4 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Agreed that we have Pettersson, Bo, Gaudette and Beagle as C, But Sutter is still the important C for the team.

Because of injuries, only 4 C is not sufficient, we need 5 quality C. Personally I think Sutter, at least, is fitting the team right now.

I don't want to compare him with Gaudette and Beagle, as they work different roles.

Also, Sutter can also play wing, providing more flexible to the coach.

Gaudette can play wing also...Vancouver will be playing Gaudette as 3rd line centre next year..

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

Gaudette can play wing also...Vancouver will be playing Gaudette as 3rd line centre next year..

I’d trade Sutter too but only if there was an overpayment.  AG can play the wing if all the C’s are healthy, work on face offs and be the first injury replacement for whatever C gets injured next (and things slide around accordingly).   Or he can do one more stint in Utica and be ready for next time.

Trading Sutter for a 2nd isn’t worth it, especially given he’s going to a playoff team so it would be a mid-high second rounder, but I’d do it for a first plus something.   Tatar got how many picks last deadline (with some term on his contract) ... that’s a good example of an overpayment.   

I would trade Sutter if I got another shot.  He is where offence goes to die and was dragging Jake down last game.  Jake was flying and generating all sorts of chances but as soon as he passed the puck the play died.

He takes the pressure of Bo?  Bo responds to the pressure and is more involved when he is on the ice more.  Bo's scoring has dried up with Sutter back.

I said in the offseason that I think Beagle is there in case anyone makes a decent offer for Sutter again.

The youth on this team are driving the success, it is the vets like Sutter, Erikksson and Gudbranson that have drug this team down.

A playoff drive would be great for the youth on this team and that should include Gaudette.

Archived