The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Strength of Schedule: Canucks can make a run

Zigmund.Palffy

I just hope if we are close to wildcard spot we don't make a stupid trade to try and make playoff run costing the future...

We have to be realistic and management must know we can never compete with Calagary or Sharks in a 7 game series at this time of rebuild...So that being said if we make the playoffs with team we have thats great...

Please please don't make trade of high picks or young players like Juolevi, Gaudette, Woo, as we are 2 years away from being playoff ready...

Have to be patient, just imagine in 2 years..

Go Canucks Go

22 hours ago, stawns said:

i think they're just finding where players fit and where the chemistry is now that players are (mostly healthy).  Getting their true mojo back will be a bit of a process and as long as they can stay competitive during that transition, they'll be in good shape for the final push.

I think Jake has been one of the most consistent, most effective players on the roster from day one.  I'd like to see him on the scoresheet more, but he has been excellent otherwise.....imo.

Boes is a pure sniper and not at all effective when he's not scoring.

I agree. I think Demko's call-up also speaks to your point about seeing where players fit. Obviously he needs to find his fit and chemistry with the team as a whole.

His call-up is interesting to me. It sort of indicates management isn't so concerned about the playoffs by going with an inexperienced back-up on the back end of the season. A risky move if you are gunning for playoffs.

To me it looks like they want him to get games, gain experience (win or lose), and find his fit organically rather than out of necessity. Obviously if these are meaningful games for a push into the playoffs, it will be invaluable experience.

I'm a big fan of Jake. I like his trajectory. I just think he's got to find a way to keep his style of play turned on and put everything together. We still haven't seen his best yet. 

We're clearly seeing that Boeser plays well with certain players and has been forced to work on other aspects of his game. It's taken him a while to find his mojo this season. I think you're right about where they are and finding chemistry now that we're much more healthy.

21 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

People keep saying this and I don't understand what more people expect? All things considered, Boeser has had a decent sophmore year - far better than most. Boeser has 15 goals and 29 points in 34 games. I'm not complaining. Best of all, he is trending upwards not downwards. That's what you want to see - a player get progressively better over the course of the season.

Well, I didn't say he wasn't playing well or putting up decent numbers. He's had a number of second season issues, starting out of the gate with his off-season approach after last year's injury. He even mentioned himself how much that scared him and shook his confidence. 

He's obviously not having the same level of explosive season as last year. So, when you say, "I don't know what more people expect?" It's not that I'm ignoring what he's doing and saying his numbers are poor. And it's not like he's having a sophomore slump as in his production has fallen off a cliff. I think there's an organic level of expectation that he himself set last season that "goal scoring" wise that he hasn't lived up to this season. I'm sure he'd be the first one to admit that.

Just generally speaking, sure, I expected him to be matching or outpacing the likes of DeBrincat, Aho, Meier, even Parise. I think the fact that he's not is just indicative of his second year struggles. We all know he's capable of so much more.

So when I say "return to form", I mean the game changing form we saw last season. He's certainly capable of being a league leader on the score sheet.

What's not quite an accurate picture of this team is how suddenly, when Pettersson went down, we looked like a one-man team. When that happens, yeah, we need Brock to be the game changer we know he can be. That's the form he needs to regain. And he had it last season without Pettersson. 

41 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I agree. I think Demko's call-up also speaks to your point about seeing where players fit. Obviously he needs to find his fit and chemistry with the team as a whole.

His call-up is interesting to me. It sort of indicates management isn't so concerned about the playoffs by going with an inexperienced back-up on the back end of the season. A risky move if you are gunning for playoffs.

To me it looks like they want him to get games, gain experience (win or lose), and find his fit organically rather than out of necessary. Obviously if these are meaningful games for a push into the playoffs, it will be invaluable experience.

I'm a big fan of Jake. I like his trajectory. I just think he's got to find a way to keep his style of play turned on and put everything together. We still haven't seen his best yet. 

We're clearly seeing that Boeser plays well with certain players and has been forced to work on other aspects of his game. It's taken him a while to find his mojo this season. I think you're right about where they are and finding chemistry now that we're much more healthy.

It's a light schedule in January where Markstrom can start every game.  There's an article posted in the Demko thread.  They want him to work with Clark.  They are losing with Nilsson as backup so they might as well give the experience to Demko instead.  

7 minutes ago, mll said:

It's a light schedule in January where Markstrom can start every game.  There's an article posted in the Demko thread.  They want him to work with Clark.  They are losing with Nilsson as backup so they might as well give the experience to Demko instead.  

Thanks for the heads up. Great article. Just read it in the Demko thread. When it's all said and done, Clark's imprint on our net will be huge. If we do make a playoff push, it'll be invaluable experience for Demko.

24 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, I didn't say he wasn't playing well or putting up decent numbers. He's had a number of second season issues, starting out of the gate with his off-season approach after last year's injury. He even mentioned himself how much that scared him and shook his confidence. 

He's obviously not having the same level of explosive season as last year. So, when you say, "I don't know what more people expect?" It's not that I'm ignoring what he's doing and saying his numbers are poor. And it's not like he's having a sophomore slump as in his production has fallen off a cliff. I think there's an organic level of expectation that he himself set last season that "goal scoring" wise that he hasn't lived up to this season. I'm sure he'd be the first one to admit that.

Just generally speaking, sure, I expected him to be matching or outpacing the likes of DeBrincat, Aho, Meier, even Parise. I think the fact that he's not is just indicative of his second year struggles. We all know he's capable of so much more.

So when I say "return to form", I mean the game changing form we saw last season. He's certainly capable of being a league leader on the score sheet.

What's not quite an accurate picture of this team is how suddenly, when Pettersson went down, we looked like a one-man team. When that happens, yeah, we need Brock to be the game changer we know he can be. That's the form he needs to regain. And he had it last season without Pettersson. 

I'm finding his season to be roughly the same as last season.  I love his shot and his ability to score, but he has some big holes in his game and I don't find him to be all the effective when he's not shooting.  I'm happy he's on the Canucks and he's a fantastic person, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of his overall game.

12 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

I'm not a tanker but God I really hope we don't make the playoffs. 

Winnipeg will rip off our limbs and beat us with the wet ends. 

I am a PROUD member of team tank.  I 100 percent feel as though I was cheering for the good of this teams future by cheering for them to tank.  I've read all the arguments against tanking and I find them thin and weak quite frankly.  HOWEVER, having said all of that I think playoffs would be a valuable experience for this young team.  They need a taste.

Tank time is over for now if you ask me.

21 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm finding his season to be roughly the same as last season.  I love his shot and his ability to score, but he has some big holes in his game and I don't find him to be all the effective when he's not shooting.  I'm happy he's on the Canucks and he's a fantastic person, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of his overall game.

I don't know. I get what you're saying (and seeing). To me something has just looked off here and there. Could be a number of things.

I'm somewhat torn on whether they're actually holes in his game (which some are, sure), or if his struggles have been more from his mental game, producing more holes. 

At times, even with a lot of shots, his shooting hasn't been quite as deadly this season. Even his positioning and ability to find open ice looked different last season.

At any rate, over all, I agree with what you said about mojo and process.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I don't know. I get what you're saying (and seeing). To me something has just looked off here and there. Could be a number of things.

I'm somewhat torn on whether they're actually holes in his game (which some are, sure), or if his struggles have been more from his mental game, producing more holes. 

At times, even with a lot of shots, his shooting hasn't been quite as deadly this season. Even his positioning and ability to find open ice looked different last season.

At any rate, over all, I agree with what you said about mojo and process.

I thought the same about him last year, and it doesn't mean I don't like him.  I do, very much.  But, he's very one dimensional and when he's not producing, he's completely invisible.  If I were GM, he might be a player I would use as a chip to fill a need in another position at some point.  Goals and points lead to a hih salary, regardless if they are effective anywhere else.  I don't find him to be good value for the money he's going to ask for, and likely get.

Archived