The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers are all in on getting help at forward

The_Rocket

This is good reminder the position JB has been able to put this team in. We are in a position of strength with no hurry or pressure to do anything. However, there are teams like Edmonton who are under pressure to make moves they might not normally do. With cap space and the odd spare parts, I am sure JB is eventually going to find a deal which is going to help this team in the long run and provide short-term relief for others. A good position to be in for us.

21 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Unbelievable they'd be willing to trade their first, with it looking like a lotto pick no matter what they do this season.  But that's what I've maintained for a while -- they've bled so many assets, they have nothing to move.  They need help at every position now.

One thing to keep in mind -- Benning will NOT gut the current roster to get that first, unless able replacements are available (no, Gaudette is not ready to take over for Sutter).  The team is on the upswing and has a legit chance to challenge for a playoff spot, so there's no way they compromise that.  But what we could do is get Chia some cap relief in a minor deal, i.e. some more rope with which to hang himself.

I suppose. But no player comes to mind from the Oilers on a short term, overpaid contract. Kassian, but he is only 1.5ish.

The Oilers would be fine if McDavid asked for a trade. They actually might get a package back that created depth and balance. Teams that have lost super stars in the past sometimes became contenders themselves. As long as they didn't sell McDavid! I would like to see Edmonton Calgary and Vancouver thrive and destroy teams that had to come through for road trips.... AH 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

4 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Proposal:

Jake Virtanen 

Nikolay Golobin 

Brandon Sutter 

For

Jesse Puljujarvi

Jujhar Khaira 

2019 draft pick

Oilers forwards

Draisaitl McDavid Rattie

Goldobin Nugent-Hopkins Chiasson

Lucic Sutter Virtanen

Spooner Brodziak Kassian

Canucks forwards

Baertchi Pettersson Boeser

Leivo Horvat Puljujarvi

Khaira Gaudette Eriksson

Roussel Beagle Motte 

Granlund 

Thats the most reasonable deal I have seen here, I still think there no chance Edm deals with us

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Huh?

Ppl wanted Chia over Benning. Back in 2014 everyone seemed to hate the Benning hire. In 2015 when Oilers hired Chia CDC was lit with Edmonton positivity over Chia saying he was the better choice who belt the Bruins championship run but it was Bennings backdoor dealings and drafting. 

5 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Proposal:

Jake Virtanen 

Nikolay Golobin 

Brandon Sutter 

For

Jesse Puljujarvi

Jujhar Khaira 

2019 draft pick

Oilers forwards

Draisaitl McDavid Rattie

Goldobin Nugent-Hopkins Chiasson

Lucic Sutter Virtanen

Spooner Brodziak Kassian

Canucks forwards

Baertchi Pettersson Boeser

Leivo Horvat Puljujarvi

Khaira Gaudette Eriksson

Roussel Beagle Motte 

Granlund 

Why are people still on Puljujarvi? He has potential, sure. But Virtanen has not been a bad player this year. The stick has been cold the last few weeks, but it's not like he's been a liability. Trading Virty and Sutter, who are both defensively responsible players, for Pool Party, is going to lead to absolutely nothing for us. In fact, if this was a proposal, I'd rather us sit on our hands and do nothing. We 1000% lose this trade. Throwing Goldobin in there doesn't make sense either. WHY ARE YOU VALUING PULJUJARVI SO HIGH? LOL.

39 minutes ago, rekker said:

I suppose. But no player comes to mind from the Oilers on a short term, overpaid contract. Kassian, but he is only 1.5ish.

That would be Spooner, who's essentially Gagner at another year for $3+mil.  Rather a wash.  Bossman Aq probably not keen to have another one of those around.

36 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

Ppl wanted Chia over Benning. Back in 2014 everyone seemed to hate the Benning hire. In 2015 when Oilers hired Chia CDC was lit with Edmonton positivity over Chia saying he was the better choice who belt the Bruins championship run but it was Bennings backdoor dealings and drafting. 

Guess your recollection is much different than mine.  I remember most people positive about getting Benning, and Chiarelli wasn't even available yet.

If you think Pouliot is a liability defensively, acquiring Ethan Bear would be more of the same. I'd avoid him. Any deal involving EDM would likely involve taking back bad money given their cap situation. I don't see anyone we'd necessarily be interested in that could be a long term piece for us (unless JB sees something in Pool Party)  

11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This cracks me up. A team that has McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Lucic, Kassian and Puljujarvi are looking for more offence. lol

This sounds like a perfect time to trade Goldobin or Sutter 

That’s because, like much of this forum, they think you can get more offence without improving the talent level on the back end.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So, you will give Edmonton a player in Boeser who will likely threaten 50-60 goals each year for the next decade if paired with McDavid for a player in LeonD who is at best a 20 goal scorer without the benefit of playing with a guy like McDavid.

To some, that would seem like the lead story for an episode in a current show we see over here in Europe.

51wxcNkSvFL.jpg

Quit being a homer

Vancouver wouldn’t make a significant trade with EDM, unless it was just too good to be true (and in that case EDM would be really foolish to play ball as it would bite them in the ass for the length these guys play each other that are traded).  What’s the biggest trade we’ve ever made with them? Steve Staois? 

9 hours ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

This board almost universally wanted Benning to replace Gillis. He was easily CDC’s number 1 candidate, It’s only years later when the rose coloured glasses are off that people try to revise history and say the opposite. The Bruins were coming off another recent Stanley Cup Final, and Chiarelli wasnt even available. The exact same thing happened with the Willie D hire. 

10 hours ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

I for one never did. I always thought Chia was an overrated tool. I'm usually wrong but I was right on this one. I put Dubas, Babcock, and that kid pulling the strings in Arizona on my overrated list as well. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I for one never did. I always thought Chia was an overrated tool. I'm usually wrong but I was right on this one. I put Dubas, Babcock, and that kid pulling the strings in Arizona on my overrated list as well. Time will tell. 

Babcock for one, has always had strong rosters to work with, Anaheim, Detroit, Olympic teams, and now with Toronto on the cusp. They aren't a strong team by any stretch of the imagination, defense and goaltending are their krypton. He's been gifted some pretty good draft picks, actually pretty lucky draft lottery picks, so lets just see if he can get this team to a cup, before I call him a great coach. In their prime, I'd take Datsuyk and Zetterberg over Matthews and Marner. Toronto doesn't have anyone near a Lidstrom on that defense. I'm with you on this rekker.

Archived