The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers are all in on getting help at forward

The_Rocket

36 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I often peruse these forums, preferring to read what people have to say rather than expose my general ignorance. I do feel, though, IMHO, that people often over-exaggerate how good or bad a trade, roster move, or player might be.

This, though - Eberle for a waiver player - this is bad. Just bad. There is no other word to describe what Chia has done: bad. I like to weigh the evidence and take a reasoned approach...but this is....bad.

So I have to share this - living in Deadmonton I was listening to Bob Stauffer on 630 CHED driving to work and someone called in about Lucic and how useless he is and could they buy him out. Bob's comeback is to ask the caller how many goals Matthews has in January vs Lucic - Lucic  has 4 and Matthews has 2 is what he said. This is the type of mentality there is in Edmonton - what he forgets is Austin has scored 18 goals the rest of the season where Lucic has only scored 1 (and Matthews was injured). Using this criteria Eriksson should be getting McDavid type money lmao.

20 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Proposal:

To edm

gagner

goldy

maybe one of our extra 6th round picks?

To Van

spooner

benson

3rd or 2nd round pick

who says no?

maybe claim rattie too if you’re freeing up a roster spot with Goldobin being traded

Spooner is a soft, perimeter forward. He's exactly the type of player this team needs to avoid. Outside of that, if Deadmonton wanted those players for a high 2nd, sounds good.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Spooner is a soft, perimeter forward. He's exactly the type of player this team needs to avoid. Outside of that, if Deadmonton wanted those players for a high 2nd, sounds good.

Yeah the idea is leave spooner in the minors and buy him out in the offseason. He just serves as a cap dump to offset gagners contract

3 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Yeah the idea is leave spooner in the minors and buy him out in the offseason. He just serves as a cap dump to offset gagners contract

I'm thinking that Gagner's domination of the AHL may be enticing enough on it's own, and reuniting him with Kassian would certainly turn some heads, hopefully without the aid of a stick to the jaw this time.

15 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

So I have to share this - living in Deadmonton I was listening to Bob Stauffer on 630 CHED driving to work and someone called in about Lucic and how useless he is and could they buy him out. Bob's comeback is to ask the caller how many goals Matthews has in January vs Lucic - Lucic  has 4 and Matthews has 2 is what he said. This is the type of mentality there is in Edmonton - what he forgets is Austin has scored 18 goals the rest of the season where Lucic has only scored 1 (and Matthews was injured). Using this criteria Eriksson should be getting McDavid type money lmao.

I live in Edmonton too and Man, I feel like everyone in this city is stupid when it comes to hockey. The fans are stupid, the media is stupid, the management is stupid. 

Bob stauffer must be paid paid directly by the oilers or something in order to give a positive spin on everything they do. I often see the oilers official page retweet his posts about how well the oilers played after a loss. And his comments are usually worthless statements that don’t actually describe the game (I.e. “brodziak grinded” or “lucic was a force”). Like, they rely on fans being too stupid to understand what they are watching during the game and instead get their opinions based from the spin by the pundits. AND IT WORKS! So many fans believe it. They believe in chiarelli and they believe in koskinen and they believe in lucic and they believe in russel and they believe in everything else that’s questionable at best and down right awful at worst. (Should note, not all fans obviously but a lot that I talk to do). 

Just bizzare here in edmonton

20 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Lol Bob is not a stone you should be using to compare other stones. He is purely entertainment. I still can't stop laughing every time he defends the Hall-Larsson trade. 

44 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Lol Bob is not a stone you should be using to compare other stones. He is purely entertainment. I still can't stop laughing every time he defends the Hall-Larsson trade. 

Honestly Hall-Larsson is probably Chia's 'best' trade.

Larsson's at least a decent 2B/3A D (on a team that's not a tire fire anyway) and D always cost more. Hall, while certainly very talented offensively, is not guy I target for, leadership, a tough playoff series, dedication to 2-way play etc... It's not 'great' but it's not as lopsided as people make it out to be.

And IMO, on a real NHL team, Larsson's a better D (a younger, bigger and healthier Tanev basically). 

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Honestly Hall-Larsson is probably Chia's 'best' trade.

Larsson's at least a decent 2B/3A D (on a team that's not a tire fire anyway) and D always cost more. Hall, while certainly very talented offensively, is not guy I target for, leadership, a tough playoff series, dedication to 2-way play etc... It's not 'great' but it's not as lopsided as people make it out to be.

And IMO, on a real NHL team, Larsson's a better D (a younger, bigger and healthier Tanev basically). 

Well I guess to me it goes deeper. I remember Hall's draft year, he was promised this, hyped that. I still really like the kid, but man how things change.

20 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder what teams Talbot refuses to go to. I imagine the teams that may need goaltending are Philadelphia and NYI and maybe Carolina?

It's also curious that Chia is targetting players very similar to Spooner. I don't think he gets it. He likes to buy high and sell low it seems.

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think Spooner is the point of his proposal.   He's a concession you take back - with  one year of term = equivalent of Gagner with marginally more cap hit.

I'd take that deal.  I'd take the Goldy Benson and picks aspect of it and not be too concerned about taking a cap dump in Spooner = Gagner Utica replacement.

I wouldn't be claiming Rattie though = no need.

22 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I wonder what teams Talbot refuses to go to. I imagine the teams that may need goaltending are Philadelphia and NYI and maybe Carolina?

It's also curious that Chia is targetting players very similar to Spooner. I don't think he gets it. He likes to buy high and sell low it seems.

I'm shocked there's any team that he'd refuse to report to other than Ottawa due to their bum of an owner.  You'd have to think most guys would jump at the opportunity to move away from an AHL team playing in a cesspool of a city.

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't think Spooner is the point of his proposal.   He's a concession you take back - with  one year of term = equivalent of Gagner with marginally more cap hit.

I'd take that deal.  I'd take the Goldy Benson and picks aspect of it and not be too concerned about taking a cap dump in Spooner = Gagner Utica replacement.

I wouldn't be claiming Rattie though = no need.

Actually NYI is retaining 900k making Spooners cap hit $3,100,000. So in effect gagne @ $3,150,000 would be the cap dump :P

5 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I find that local radio and media are blind homers. Listening to Cheech do the Canucks games, he's very biased in his assessments. Always siding with the Canucks, even though they might be at fault for something. I was talking to my Dad in WPG just recently, and he complained about the Jets media as well. How they're views aren't necessarily accurate or the truth. I imagine it's similar in all hockey markets. (Canada, the original 6 cities and Minnesota lol)

The comparison between Lucic and Matthews is humourous.    

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Actually sounds b.s to me he’s declining teams inside out and rather stay in deadmonton.  Like seriously ? Refusing to waive his ntc to stay in Edmonton ? Doesn’t even sound right.

Archived