The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers are all in on getting help at forward

The_Rocket

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Irrelevant, but if it makes you feel superior then fly at er. Couple things, first off the proposal is ridiculous and secondly the oilers WANT forwards. Strange why they would trade LD especially for what you offered. 

Perhaps it’s the air of arrogance in your humour that makes you feel superior?  

That fact is, it’s hockey, and anything can happen.

Sutter IS a forward, last I looked,

.. but an quick overlook of the Oilers still has them weak at D.. unless you feel Larsen for Hall fixed that.

add Tanev,  that’s sweeter.

My thoughts were to offer a little sweeter,.  Try for Draisitil? What’s the harm?.. try for Pulluiarvi next? What’s the harm?

if your not trying, your not interested.

Sometimes the weirdest things happen.

..  I’ve only read your shoot down of “ridiculous proposals”..

What I find more ridiculous is the fact that’s all you have to say.

Must be an air-gap in there.. or you would have something other to say.

Goldobin and Sutter arent worth a first plain and simple.. Inury prone and salary for Sutter, Golodbin being unproven are all risks, they need legitimate help. I dont think we have anything to offer to the Oilers without them wanting significant pieces. 

If I'm the Senators I'm hoping all over this to get those picks cause Edmonton can slide down those standing any moment

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Funny,.  That’s what @WHL rocks said when I suggested we try to get Erik Gudbranson from the Panthers.

Hi Sam.  Can u remind me of our conversation .. it's been a long time. I don't remember. Not saying I didn't disagree, just that I don't remember.  Been a few years. 

I don't  see how they trade Draisitl after trading away Hall and Eberle. They want to add forward help not subtract. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Hi Sam. Can u remind me of our conversation .. it's been a long time. I don't remember. Not saying I didn't disagree  just that I don't remember.  Been a few years. 

I don't  see how they trade Draisitl after trading away Hall and Eberle. They want to add forward help not subtract. 

Rocks,  I was rattling on these boards one night 3-4 years ago wondering how we could get E.Gudbranson from the Panthers.

He was a pending RFA.  

You didn’t see it happening within the cap space we had, or what we had to offer..  

I spent hours trying to figure a way..  then gave up and left it to the hockey gods ;)

We had a chuckle about it that off season.

hockey,  anything can happen.

ps.  Most of our conversation was DMs I believe?

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Perhaps it’s the air of arrogance in your humour that makes you feel superior?  

That fact is, it’s hockey, and anything can happen.

Sutter IS a forward, last I looked,

.. but an quick overlook of the Oilers still has them weak at D.. unless you feel Larsen for Hall fixed that.

add Tanev,  that’s sweeter.

My thoughts were to offer a little sweeter,.  Try for Draisitil? What’s the harm?.. try for Pulluiarvi next? What’s the harm?

if your not trying, your not interested.

Sometimes the weirdest things happen.

..  I’ve only read your shoot down of “ridiculous proposals”..

What I find more ridiculous is the fact that’s all you have to say.

Must be an air-gap in there.

Well put the shoe on the other foot, would you make that deal? 

You want me and others to take the time to tell you why the proposal is bad?

20 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well put the shoe on the other foot, would you make that deal? 

You want me and others to take the time to tell you why the proposal is bad?

So you have a team now..

.. and the Oilers are looking for another hero?

is that what your saying?

They should trade for another big name hero, high draft pick forward?

(god help the Oilers, they need more hero’s)

How about a couple of really good players with good stats at around the same price they pay Draisitil, .. 2 that can add great chemistry to what talent they have?

Why don’t you come out of your comfort zone? 

What are you saying any way?.. dosent seem to be much.. 

Feels like your still “turtleing” on offering something to this thread, other than “chirping” like a swallow.

The Oilers are talk. They are incapable of making good hockey deals. My confidence on their management team for me left years ago. They have brought in new management and have kept the same mandate. They have 100% failed in drafting and pure luck landed them McDavid. They have continued looking for the Paul Coffey's and Mark Messiah's of the hockey world ,and in the process they have lost what it takes to build a winner. They seem to forget that defense wins hockey! And when I hear that they need to address their forwards I just laugh inside. Their defense can't get the forwards the puck! If McDavid didn't change his game and go get the puck more often he would never see that little black thing! Lucic is so slow he couldn't catch a flu. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Draft:

McDavid 1st overall

Nugent Hopkins 1st overall

Draisaitl 3rd overall

Puljujaarvi 4th overall

Taylor Hall 1st overall

Nail Yakupov 1st overall

Paajarvi 10th overall

(Gagner 6th overall, Eberle)

Spend 42 million on Lucic....

Need help with scoring forward lol.

Maybe the thread should read...."need help drafting"

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I find that the Oilers problems are not unlike ours..  how can they find a problem with the potential in their group of forwards and not their D core.

They do not have a No. 1 D man either.

I disagree.   They are much older for a lot of their core and have to win in a window much closer than the one the Canucks will have.   I think Vancouver could not make the playoffs for another two seasons and still have good fan support for the progressive and positive build happening but if the Oilers miss again this year after firing a coach already, it will need to get blown up and started again.

7 minutes ago, derr12 said:

if they are all in on getting forwards, why in the name of Zeus's butthole do they keep trading all their top 6 players away?

Personally I don't think Chia has a clue how to evaluate players.  He thinks making a "deal" is better than doing nothing (or at least it will buy you time). 

Enough deals and you are a better team.  He had Benning and a good staff in Boston to lean on.  Not so much in Edmonton.  

They also have no real leadership on that team to speak of.  Must be driving McDavid crazy, wonder how long he can take it without revolting.  

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I disagree.   They are much older for a lot of their core and have to win in a window much closer than the one the Canucks will have.   I think Vancouver could not make the playoffs for another two seasons and still have good fan support for the progressive and positive build happening but if the Oilers miss again this year after firing a coach already, it will need to get blown up and started again.

apparently they are now trying to move Spooner, because it turns out Chia is the only GM in the league that thought he'd provide more offence and hasn't. 

We should send Gagner 1/2 salary retained back to Edmonton for Spooner and a 2nd. Edmonton would get more offence from Gag's than their currently getting from Spooner :sick: 

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree with what you have said here Rob..

but my comments were more about the Oilers not addressing their D core before their F core.

We need a no1 D, just as much they do..  I agree we have time to do that,. Where as they Oilers seem to be flatlining and not recognizing the teams prime/potential as a factor over the past 6years or more.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the chances of Jim trading Sutter to the team right behind us in the standings is remote, it would have to be an immediate improvement for us, and they don't have anyone like that they can give up in return. 

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This is interesting. I think I'd ask for more like 1st and Benson/Puljujarvi/Yamamoto especially if we are retaining cap as well. If they agree to Puljujarvi or Yamamoto, then I'd be willing to add someone like Lind going back the other way.

Anything extra is gravy for sure, but I would to agree with Jimmy there that it's probably not going to happen because we're making a playoff push. IMO we shouldn't rush the rebuild, but unfortunately management (and really ownership) see it differently.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I agree with what you have said here Rob..

but my comments were more about the Oilers not addressing their D core before their F core.

We need a no1 D, just as much they do..  I agree we have time to do that,. Where as they Oilers seem to be flatlining and not recognizing the teams prime/potential as a factor over the past 6years or more.

Edmonton are a curious case study in that other than one or two, their first round draft picks have been stars/superstars but they have not seemingly drafted positionally and and their drafting in latter rounds has, well, just plain old sucked.   They are also horrid at free agent signings and, for the most part, trading.   To only get AL for Taylor Hall was one of the most lopsided trades in recent NHL history.   Eberle was given away.   Their internal Dcorp development has struggled too and even Nurse, who is a potential star given his attributes, seems to have plateaued badly.   They need to get aggressive and do something like trade LD for a stud Dman that can actually put up points.   Even Bouchard that everyone is raving about was exposed in the WJC for how slow he can be at times - Dobson was far more effective, for but one example.

What they need in their pipeline with a player like McDavid is a Quinn Hughes.

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Look at their goaltending, the Canucks have gone with Markstrom, and backups since the Luongo trade. The Coilers have had DD, Talbot, and how many more in the same time. That D is terrible as well. Yes, going through more coaches as well, I think we'll see a HUGE explosion in Edmonton.

Archived