The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers are all in on getting help at forward

The_Rocket

19 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Oilers are winning - Lucic has potted anotrher in the game. All is good in Deadmonton :emot-parrot:

The 1st round pick might get them something - Talbot has no real trade value although he is on an expiring contract. They can't afford to get rid of Nugent Hopkins sooo where does that leave them? I don't think its just a top 6 forward they need - they need (as many have pointed out) a true # 1 D first and foremost.

you watch it will be Talbot + something for Wayne Simmonds

1 hour ago, rekker said:

And the merry go round keeps spinning. 

I am loving every minute of it. 

A team gifted so much talent up front through tanking and this is where they stand needing forwards... worst run organization in sports.

The team would be better off if all decisions were decided on a hfboards poll. I feel for the fans and the teams two NHL players. 

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Proposal:

Jake Virtanen 

Nikolay Golobin 

Brandon Sutter 

For

Jesse Puljujarvi

Jujhar Khaira 

2019 draft pick

Oilers forwards

Draisaitl McDavid Rattie

Goldobin Nugent-Hopkins Chiasson

Lucic Sutter Virtanen

Spooner Brodziak Kassian

Canucks forwards

Baertchi Pettersson Boeser

Leivo Horvat Puljujarvi

Khaira Gaudette Eriksson

Roussel Beagle Motte 

Granlund 

Because the Oilers want to have Lucic Kassian and Virtanen. They would fold the Oilers!

5 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

you watch it will be Talbot + something for Wayne Simmonds

That crossed my mind earlier - I don't know if the Oilers can compete against other teams that want his service. Then again he's a free agent after this year so Chia doesn't commit cap space beyond this year and they get enough relief by moving Talbot to add another piece plus Simmonds. Talbot and a 1st - would you do the deal for Simmonds?

6 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Lmao I never said goldy and sutter get you a first. 

Im saying taking on two bad contracts for players who don’t contribute and losing your top checking centre, your fourth highest scorer, and two draft picks for what will probably be a 10-14th overall pick. Especially when dealing wth a division rival. 

If if that’s what it takes to get the first, don’t do it

Disagree a bad contract that ends this year (Reider) doesn’t hurt us at all with our cap space and doesn’t effect us resigning Boeser, Petterson or hughes. 

Spooner is only 3.1 million and expires next year.  

You said youself sutter doesn’t get us a 1 so why not add a bit that doesn’t hurt us to get a 1 st from a bad team in a good draft year. 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Gagme is not getting us a third.  It might cost us to dump that guy.

MDZ will get us a pick.

Baer is not getting traded.

Sutter and Goldy to the Flyers for Ghost would be nice. :emot-parrot:

LOL, Philly fired their GM because on ice progress was going to slow. Then they went on a ten game losing streak.

Quick slap in the face with a giant wet salmon.

And owning a widely recognized quality prospect pool. The noise was that they would jump start their year, moving youth. That went away quick. They're not making the playoff's this year. And any ''window'' with Giroux and Voracek is done. Their prime years wasted.

An interesting trade. Giroux has term. If he would waive to play with McDavid? Giroux for Puljujarvi. That would be fun!   

But Ghostisbhere is still pretty young. No time to be selling him up.  Morin has nowhere to play when he comes off the IR?  Big LHD.  Baertschi for Morin would allow Giroux to play centre again. They are actually starving at centre (my opinion) while they wait for prospects Frost & Rubstov;

Konecny Giroux Voracek

Baertschi Couturiere JVR 

Lindblom Laughton Simmonds

In that respect, Sutter ^ would also help out the line up, your suggestion, I guess?  Sutter for Sanheim! :towel:

6 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Lucic, Kassian and Puljujarvi have a grand total of 8 goals between them and have all spent some games playing on McDavid's line........Loui Eriksson has 8 goals by himself. Just let that sink in for a moment.........I think they have pretty good reasons for looking for additional offense.

Eriksson still has speed.

It gets lost on CDC some times?

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I disagree.   They are much older for a lot of their core and have to win in a window much closer than the one the Canucks will have.   I think Vancouver could not make the playoffs for another two seasons and still have good fan support for the progressive and positive build happening but if the Oilers miss again this year after firing a coach already, it will need to get blown up and started again.

Who in their core is old? Maybe their goalies. Maybe Lucic. 

Klefbom is the oldest in their real core. Draisaitl, Nurse who is Horvats age, McDavid are all young. And its enough top end talent. Nugent Hopkins is still 25. Funny enough, they sell out with years of wearing bags on their heads. I've lived in Edmonton. They sell better than Vancouver in poor years. Fan support is not the problem either. The problem does lie in having no results, you mentioned in an alternate post, from drafting or developing subsidiary talent. Draisaitl is also a special talent. One of the best junior's ever seen in the WHL. He scores everywhere, every line he goes. Not propped up by McDavid, one of few who can hang with him.

What they really need, is to be patient.  Add some vet depth support. Allow Yamamoto, Benson, Puljujarvi time to arrive.  You're in Europe? How do Lagesson & Berglund look on D? They also need one of them, Samurokov & Ethan Bear to surface. Yamamoto has more than enough speed to play with McDavid. Enough AHL vets to support their squad as well. 

It took Benning 3 years to realise depth vet guys was the key. It allows top rookies, see Boeser & Petey, to arrive without having to play 3rd line defensive shifts. The balance to bust their hump to earn a 3rd line call up. And play with a vet when they arrive. 

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We do very quickly.  When Jake isn’t producing offensively, he contributes with intimidation, and smart defensive play.  Poolparty is a huge liability, and dies nothing.  

Jakes been solid defensively this year. And good bit more of offense too. Bit cold now. All the haters gonna hate again. 

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

No. If you give McDavid a triggerman like Boeser they’re more than likely making the playoffs. That’s a high teens pick at most. This board staggers me sometimes. Boeser isn’t the worlds greatest player by any stretch but he nearly broke Bure’s rookie record while still missing significant time to injury. This year he’d be on pace for 70 points in a full 82 game season. He’s a great FIRST LINE winger. CDC’s overrating of Pulju is nuts. Puljujarvi has bust screamed all over him. He’s shown nothing at the NHL level despite getting time with the best player in the world, and given his motor and that he has the IQ of a board I have extremely high doubts he’ll come anywhere close to his draft projection.  But he’s an elite asset worth giving up Boeser for, because he’s big and was drafted high  even if it’s to a division rival, if it’s coupled with a lottery ticket pick in the teens at best. Oh and Juolevi is a bust for not making the NHL at 20.

Hard to say Boeser would do  fan couldwith McDavid than with Elias! Elias is a better set up man. But on the plus side, the panic in Edmonton probably assures them the Canucks will pass them in the standings. The problem with Edmonton is getting the puck to the forwards. I bet an average fan could run them better!

4 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Hard to say Boeser would do  fan couldwith McDavid than with Elias! Elias is a better set up man. But on the plus side, the panic in Edmonton probably assures them the Canucks will pass them in the standings. The problem with Edmonton is getting the puck to the forwards. I bet an average fan could run them better!

Edmonton should look at the Pitt model for idea's.

Anything with speeeed scores with Syd & Gino. Up front, back end. Matters little?

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Edmonton should look at the Pitt model for idea's.

Anything with speeeed scores with Syd & Gino. Up front, back end. Matters little?

I have watched both team a lot. McDavid is no Crosby on his side of the ice. They spend many shifts hardly touching the puck in dangerous situations. You might be right, its hard to read chemistry etc. But if you cn't keep the puck out of your own net its tough to win more than you lose!

5 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I have watched both team a lot. McDavid is no Crosby on his side of the ice. They spend many shifts hardly touching the puck in dangerous situations. You might be right, its hard to read chemistry etc. But if you cn't keep the puck out of your own net its tough to win more than you lose!

Funny enough, they can pass and make plays.  Draisaitl + McDavid have the same combined 71 assists as Gino & Syd.

And both have more goals than either Syd or Gino.

I do know what you are saying though. Sydney battles for every puck, and even for position.On every shift! Malkin gets less credit for battling than he deserves as well. And is a physical beast that many cannot contain.  Draisatl needs some play off wars under his belt.  Not exactly like Malkin. But he's also a big forward who is remarkably hard to guard. Routinely beats checks, finds open ice. And knows what to do with the puck.

I recall, one of the most memorable posts I have ever seen on CDC.  Pretty sure it was @oldnews. Laughing and wondering out loud why it was a good idea for Edmonton to sign Lucic when they first acquired him. Paraphrasing, but pretty close;

Lucic chugging up near the centre red line as McDavid flies with the puck.  "Heye eh, puff, ghasp Connor!''  "Connor!'' ''Wait up at the blue line eh!'' "I'm, puff, coming!''

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

4.0 on ice goals against per 60 = awful.

2nd worst on the Devils, to an aging matchup forward like Brian Boyle.

He'd fit right in back in Edmonton.  A guy that is vacant without the puck, back into a tire fire.

5-4 losses are exciting an all, and Hall shows up in a couple highlights (at both ends of the ice) - but they're still losses.

Hey hey now, you're dissing the league MVP, the Hart Trophy winner!

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Oilers have a first to dangle as trade bait. Chia will deal it to help save his job. 

Unbelievable they'd be willing to trade their first, with it looking like a lotto pick no matter what they do this season.  But that's what I've maintained for a while -- they've bled so many assets, they have nothing to move.  They need help at every position now.

One thing to keep in mind -- Benning will NOT gut the current roster to get that first, unless able replacements are available (no, Gaudette is not ready to take over for Sutter).  The team is on the upswing and has a legit chance to challenge for a playoff spot, so there's no way they compromise that.  But what we could do is get Chia some cap relief in a minor deal, i.e. some more rope with which to hang himself.

Archived