The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

21 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

He'd have beaten the sh*t out of Matheson and made JK turtle though.

Would be a great winger to play with EP & Brock. 

No he wouldn’t. He didn’t stand up for Johnny at all and he played on the same line with him. I question how many people actually watched this guy play regularly or are just basing there assumption on a few highlight videos compiled over the last 5 years. 

Hes really not some intimidating force that everyones trying to make him out to be. The game he played against Vancouver in the playoffs is not who his is. 

If intimidation is what people want there’s a lot other cheaper options. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No he wouldn’t. He didn’t stand up for Johnny at all and he played on the same line with him. I question how many people actually watched this guy play regularly or are just basing there assumption on a few highlight videos compiled over the last 5 years. 

You're just bitter because an unknown Ferland absolutely caused havoc and ruined the Canucks the last time they made the playoffs.

Take off your homer-glasses and recognize Ferland is an serious asset. 

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

He did fine in both fights against Bieksa and beat Dorsett. Ferland can throw them. 

He's annoying as hell to play against, but is an incredible asset to have on any team, especially come playoff time. 

EXACTLY my point. Bieksa and Dorsett are probably the two toughest guys he fought and they're both smaller than him. And most of the rest of his fight card are against guys who either aren't fighters or aren't very good at it. Let me know when he fights one of the top guys and see how he does. If he does well, then good for him.....but in hundreds of NHL games he hasn't stepped up yet. Maybe he doesn't want to take the chance of getting another concussion, so he fights guys that he knows he'll probably beat.

4 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

EXACTLY my point. Bieksa and Dorsett are probably the two toughest guys he fought and they're both smaller than him. And most of the rest of his fight card are against guys who either aren't fighters or aren't very good at it. Let me know when he fights one of the top guys and see how he does. If he does well, then good for him.....but in hundreds of NHL games he hasn't stepped up yet. Maybe he doesn't want to take the chance of getting another concussion, so he fights guys that he knows he'll probably beat.

Hardly smaller than him. In the same weight class without a doubt. Dorsett was proven to be able to fight legitimate heavyweights and Bieksa has always punched above his weight class. There aren't many guys around anymore that would be considered heavyweights anyways. 

5 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

Bieksa and Dorsett are both tough scrappers. What do you want?  Should he scrap the ghost of Bob Probert?

5 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

You're just bitter because an unknown Ferland absolutely caused havoc and ruined the Canucks the last time they made the playoffs.

Take off your homer-glasses and recognize Ferland is an serious asset. 

Im Canucks fan that lives in Calgary so i got first hand proof of my opinion. I also happen to be a flames season ticket holder and have seen this guy live far too many times become a disappearing Taylor Pyatt act to know he’s not the force he was in the 2015 playoffs.  He gets it in his head that he’s a skilled guy too often and then floats for games on hand. Flames tried everything to get him to consistently use his size but it’s just not in him. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Im Canucks fan that lives in Calgary so i got first hand proof of my opinion. I also happen to be a flames season ticket holder and have seen this guy live far too many times become a disappearing Taylor Pyatt act to know he’s not the force he was in the 2015 playoffs.  He gets it in his head that he’s a skilled guy too often and then floats for games on hand. Flames tried everything to get him to consistently use his size but it’s just not in him. 

I'll take a guy that has the ability to show up like that and has the toughness when needed that can be plugged in to a top 6 role and pot 20 goals over the middling top 6 guys we have now that don't have that facet to their game. 

Who would you rather have in a playoff round - the likes of Baer, Goldy, Loui playing top 6 roles or Ferland? The answer is pretty simple in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

I'll take a guy that has the ability to show up like that and has the toughness when needed that can be plugged in to a top 6 role and pot 20 goals over the middling top 6 guys we have now that don't have that facet to their game. 

Who would you rather have in a playoff round - the likes of Baer, Goldy, Loui playing top 6 roles or Ferland? The answer is pretty simple in my opinion.

Goldy and Baer are placeholders.  I like Jake moving up to play with Pettersson.  Jake, Pettersson, Brock.  That's a top line for my liking.

Maybe we don't need Ferland?

Just now, Alflives said:

Goldy and Baer are placeholders.  I like Jake moving up to play with Pettersson.  Jake, Pettersson, Brock.  That's a top line for my liking.

Jake has never proven a thing. I purposely didn't name him because he hasn't had a chance to play in a playoff series yet, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

However, I'd rather have Jake rolling and playing a solid 3rd-line role AND Ferland in the top 6 for a playoff run. No one said it was either/or. 

5 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Jake has never proven a thing. I purposely didn't name him because he hasn't had a chance to play in a playoff series yet, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

However, I'd rather have Jake rolling and playing a solid 3rd-line role AND Ferland in the top 6 for a playoff run. No one said it was either/or. 

Having Ferland could make Jake learn how he needs to play too.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake is not a top 6 player yet. He should be on 3rd line for now. 

Ferland would fit in well but he is inconsistent and will be overvalued in a trade and over paid as UFA. 

20 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

We need toughness I agree with that. But that doesn’t mean I’d throw a first to bring back someone like ferlund. If that’s what we’re looking and willing to pay for, why not actually get someone tough.  

People are under the assumption he’s a Tom Wilson. He’s not. Wilson also happens to be one of the caps most relied on forwards in the defensive zone too. Ferklund Is a high ozone, pp player that’s extremely weak defensively. When he’s on, he’s a good addition but you rarely see that out of him. 

Like Last year in the final 35 games when the flames needed him most to step up and help them make the playoff push he completely disappeared only notching 2 goals. (Prior to that he had 19 in 43). The guy mailed it in and saw troy Brouwer replace him on the depth. 

1 hour ago, Drop Em said:

When he does fight, he usually wins.....because he's usually fighting guys who aren't very good at it. 

Watson is a big guy, Bellemare is handy, Juice is a tough guy, Labate was feisty. It's not like those four clips - the first four I found - were him fighting Kyle Turris, Troy Stecher, Tyler Ennis and Will Butcher.

44 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I am certainly someone who never watches Ferland play, and you sound credible in what you're saying, so in the words of the Dragons, "I'm out."

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMO  JV will never be the caliber of player to fully benifit from EP40.   He doesn't have the vision. Hockey IQ is very low.  

40 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

We need toughness I agree with that. But that doesn’t mean I’d throw a first to bring back someone like ferlund. If that’s what we’re looking and willing to pay for, why not actually get someone tough.  

People are under the assumption he’s a Tom Wilson. He’s not. Wilson also happens to be one of the caps most relied on forwards in the defensive zone too. Ferklund Is a high ozone, pp player that’s extremely weak defensively. When he’s on, he’s a good addition but you rarely see that out of him. 

Like Last year in the final 35 games when the flames needed him most to step up and help them make the playoff push he completely disappeared only notching 2 goals. (Prior to that he had 19 in 43). The guy mailed it in and saw troy Brouwer replace him on the depth. 

There is something to be said that the flames have been a lot better sans Ferland.

Archived