The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

We are not in a position to trade for Ferland. We are not buyers IMO and if we trade for him with an extension (although I think 6 years for 5 million per isn't unreasonable), that only ups his price. If we trade him without an extension and risk him hitting UFA anyway, we are not at the stage of the rebuild to burn assets in this way. We should take a look if he does hit UFA, but I think I wouldn't do more than 6 years at 5 million per and that's only because I'm inflating his value at a UFA in a bidding war. I think his actual value is more along the lines of a 4x4 deal.

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Please, please, please, pretty please.

If there is a hockey god, give JB the stones to make this happen.

If ever there was a deal that would put JB on the map, this is it.

Ferland      Pettersson      Boeser

Re-sign Ferland to Horvat type numbers

6 x 5 to 5,5

Why?  That's ridiculous.  His production doesn't justify that contract. 

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

We are not in a position to trade for Ferland. We are not buyers IMO and if we trade for him with an extension (although I think 6 years for 5 million per isn't unreasonable), that only ups his price. If we trade him without an extension and risk him hitting UFA anyway, we are not at the stage of the rebuild to burn assets in this way. We should take a look if he does hit UFA, but I think I wouldn't do more than 6 years at 5 million per and that's only because I'm inflating his value at a UFA in a bidding war. I think his actual value is more along the lines of a 4x4 deal.

Yeah I'd do something around Goldobin + Granlund +/- (both expiring RFA's) but I'm not sending any serious assets out in trade for an expiring UFA. I'll risk seeing if he's still available July 1 in that case.

And yeah, I could see something like $4.5 X 4 years or $4m X 5 years. I'd have no problem with either.

2 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Maybe goldy and sutter? Retain maybe 500k on sutter? A young rfa and a veteran with years left on his deal for an expiring UFA. It could happen

The Canes would not want or need Sutter - they already have Jordan Staal as 3C. For a team that already has the lowest cap spend in the league, they don't want to add an overpaid 4th line center. They already have Victor Rask at $4m AAV for that.

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I think you could probably get an extension done with Ferland for 5 years 4.75. 

A couple of people I know say he's been offered Justin Williams money, $4.5m, but wants that Wilson money. He might take less on a contender, but I doubt he'd see the Canucks as one.

2 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

they want a 1st + for him

+1.

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think he is worth Kesler type trade value. 

1st round pick

roster player

prospect

I could see 

Sutter, Goldobin, 2020 1st 

Maybe through in Tyramkins rights to seal the deal

Again, no Sutter. Goldobin + 1st + a forward prospect would be the kind of return they'd be looking for.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess is, with EDM, CAR would probably need to take Lucic back in a trade.

I could see him in a Bruins uniform.

Would love to have him here though. Make CGY pay every time we play them.

Lucic has a NMC. I doubt he waives to go to Carolina.

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah I'd do something around Goldobin + Granlund +/- (both expiring RFA's) but I'm not sending any serious assets out in trade for an expiring UFA. I'll risk seeing if he's still available July 1 in that case.

And yeah, I could see something like $4.5 X 4 years or $4m X 5 years. I'd have no problem with either.

As I said above, it's believed the Canes have already offered him that money, and he wants more. Which he'd obviously get in free agency.

As for any trade, Granlund wouldn't be of interest. Goldy would, but they wouldn't hold him in high regard.

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Lucic has a NMC. I doubt he waives to go to Carolina.

With the Canes deliberately being the lowest cap team in the league, there's no way in hell Dundon allowed Waddell to hamstring the franchise by acquiring that lump of clay. If Ferland goes to the Oilers, it's for Puljujarvi + 1st + asset for Ferland and Haydn Fleury, or something along those lines.

I'm not sure I see the Nucks having the assets to beat out another team, and I highly doubt they want to give up their first, especially when the draft is in Van.  It's a great thought, I'd love Ferland in Van, but don't see it being realistic

11 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Why?  That's ridiculous.  His production doesn't justify that contract. 

Neither does Tom Wilson. The fact is, bigger and tougher players who can play in the top 9 are becoming very rare. They are a hot commodity in today's softness. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

As I said above, it's believed the Canes have already offered him that money, and he wants more. Which he'd obviously get in free agency.

As for any trade, Granlund wouldn't be of interest. Goldy would, but they wouldn't hold him in high regard.

What players (their agents) ask for and what they get are usually 2 different things. He might get something like $4.8 or maybe even $5 (particularly if he compromises on term) but he's not likely going to get as much, or as long, as Wilson. 

Granlund's a good utility player and cheap, with club control. Not saying that he'd 'wow' anyone but he has value. And as I said above, unless there's an in place extension, I'm not offering any serious assets for an expiring UFA. I'd take my chances in July.

4 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

With the Canes deliberately being the lowest cap team in the league, there's no way in hell Dundon allowed Waddell to hamstring the franchise by acquiring that lump of clay. If Ferland goes to the Oilers, it's for Puljujarvi + 1st + asset for Ferland and Haydn Fleury, or something along those lines.

I think the Oilers are the best trading partner, centered around Pool Party.  It would suck seeing Ferland back in the Pacific, but it would be a great FU to the Flames.

25 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Jake scores no goal - "what a bust"

Jake scores 10 goals last season - "Not a 20 goal scorer, what a bust"

Jake is on pace for 20 (despite a cold streak right now) - "The goals aren't pretty enough, sell him"

All this while improving his defensive play immensely.

What does Jake have to do to finally be appreciated here? There's 0% chance that I would trade Virtanen for Ferland even if Ferland is extended, nevermind us adding to it.

good for you

i would not trade for ferland either

and there is no doubt jake is improving

but is still frustratingly inconsistent

and though it may bother you

not all goals scored have the same quality to them

and commentary about that is valid

Canucks could look at Ferland as an UFA in the off season especially with the asking price being too high in a trade.  Truthfully, I don't see Ferland as a fit for Pettersson's line, but maybe I just don't want to see it.  He could protect and create space, but there has to be a better fit, no?

22 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

The Canes would not want or need Sutter - they already have Jordan Staal as 3C. For a team that already has the lowest cap spend in the league, they don't want to add an overpaid 4th line center. They already have Victor Rask at $4m AAV for that.

A couple of people I know say he's been offered Justin Williams money, $4.5m, but wants that Wilson money. He might take less on a contender, but I doubt he'd see the Canucks as one.

+1.

Again, no Sutter. Goldobin + 1st + a forward prospect would be the kind of return they'd be looking for.

Wilson won a stanley cup. They always cost more to keep because they have won. Ferland has played two rounds in the playoffs? He's a UFA and teams aren't going to give CAR anything huge, especially if he is indeed asking for that kinda of money. I can see a serviceable NHLer ,mid level prospect,  plus a pick. Example - Baertschi, Lockwood, 3nd rounder for Ferland and a 4th. Unless a team like TB or WPG or NSH says frick it we are going all in and gives up Fabbro/Tolvanen/Foote (their top prospects) which I can't see any of them doing

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What players (their agents) ask for and what they get are usually 2 different things. He might get something like $4.8 or maybe even $5 (particularly if he compromises on term) but he's not likely going to get as much, or as long, as Wilson. 

Granlund's a good utility player and cheap, with club control. Not saying that he'd 'wow' anyone but he has value. And as I said above, unless there's an in place extension, I'm not offering any serious assets for an expiring UFA. I'd take my chances in July.

The Canes have tons of bottom six options - Granlund wouldn't crack the bottom six:

Martinook-Staal-Svechnikov

Foegele-Rask/McKegg-Maenalanen

He's simply not cracking that.

1 minute ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Canucks could look at Ferland as an UFA in the off season especially with the asking price being too high in a trade.  Truthfully, I don't see Ferland as a fit for Pettersson's line, but maybe I just don't want to see it.  He could protect and create space, but there has to be a better fit, no?

Green needs to get Jake up on Petey's left wing.  I like Ferkland, but he's too old for our next core.  Guys who play his style often burn out in their late 20s.

Within reason, I would do almost anything to trade for ferland if an extension is in involved 

to car: goldobin, gaudette, 2nd pick 2019

to Van: ferland

I don’t care if we “could” get him for free in July. In July the bidding war raises the price to sign and it’s unlikely we could make it work. 

Target the guys you want and go get them.

Archived