The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler And Ducks..

wildcam

https://www.tsn.ca/ducks-kesler-has-no-plans-to-waive-nmc-1.1242292

Kesler, who has just four goals and six points in 44 games this season, owns a no-move clause and told The Athletic he will embrace a rebuild, if that becomes the team's direction.

“I don’t want to go anywhere,” Kesler said. “I love my teammates. I have a family, you take that into account. If we are going into a rebuild, I’m going to do my best to teach the kids how to be a pro and how to win.”

Kesler was limited to 44 games last season, scoring eight goals and posting 14 points. He is signed through 2021-22 at a $6.875 million cap hit. 

The Ducks dropped their franchise-record 12th straight game on Tuesday night and have not recorded a win since Dec. 17. 

Murray said Monday "it's time for changes," stating he doesn't believe the Ducks current roster could contend for a Stanley Cup in the postseason.

"This is all about us. I'm not here to just try to make the playoffs every year," Murray said. "You can do that, and maybe you can make a push, but I'd like to get back to where we're a team that, if we get into the playoffs, has a chance to win. Right now, this team, I said it earlier, I don't believe this group has a chance to win. It's time for changes."

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Kesler, who has just four goals and six points in 44 games this season, owns a no-move clause and told The Athletic he will embrace a rebuild, if that becomes the team's direction.

“I don’t want to go anywhere,” Kesler said. “I love my teammates. I have a family, you take that into account. If we are going into a rebuild, I’m going to do my best to teach the kids how to be a pro and how to win.”

Kesler was limited to 44 games last season, scoring eight goals and posting 14 points. He is signed through 2021-22 at a $6.875 million cap hit. 

The Ducks dropped their franchise-record 12th straight game on Tuesday night and have not recorded a win since Dec. 17. 

Murray said Monday "it's time for changes," stating he doesn't believe the Ducks current roster could contend for a Stanley Cup in the postseason.

"This is all about us. I'm not here to just try to make the playoffs every year," Murray said. "You can do that, and maybe you can make a push, but I'd like to get back to where we're a team that, if we get into the playoffs, has a chance to win. Right now, this team, I said it earlier, I don't believe this group has a chance to win. It's time for changes."

So Kesler is clearly stating he isn't open to being traded, not that any team would want him and his bloated contract.  He's not going to retire either.  He wants to be part of a rebuild.  Glad the guy will never touch the Grail.  

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Vancouver and the area (not so much Surrey) are clearly great places to live.  I wonder though, for NHL hockey player, if our market is the best for them, if they have families?  It can be kind of crazy here.  In those US markets the players, and (more important to them) their families can be anonymous.  

Yea great places to live for us. Kesler is American and had no ties here whatsoever. I get it that we all subjectively think Vancouver is a great city to live because of our circumstances. 

If you ask anyone who is not from western Canada do you think they choose Vancouver? 

Kesler is not Canadian and he owed no obligation on a personal level to Canucks fans, or the city for that matter. I was disappointed to see him go but I just don’t get the hate. 

Bure wanted out but his jersey is up on the rafters. Players have their own lives too and playing for the Canucks is just a stage in their careers, no more no less. That is why sometimes u take a chance on hometown boys like virtanen and stretcher in hopes that they would actually want to stay in this market 

9 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Stop the hate on this man. I don’t know how old you all are but we wouldn’t have been on the 2011 run without him. He cried after the loss and was business the whole way through the playoffs.

People have the right to choose where they play, he didn’t have to be loyal to the Nucks just because a contract was signed - demanding a trade is normal in a business perspective. 

Vancouver is not the only place on earth, is not the center of universe nor is it even near one of the more desirable places to play or live in. Just because we are living here for various reasons doesn’t mean Kesler had to want to. The team was going down hill so why hate him for not staying? Out of what, because you are hurt that a worldclass player didn’t want to play for your team?

As has been stated countless times already...people hate on Kesler mainly for the fact that he is a classless POS and conducts himself like a douchebag. NOT because he ran out of town and forced a trade. 

KESLER - 4 goals (6 points) in 44 games

We basically traded him for:

GUDBRANSON - 2 goals (8 points) in 42 games

SUTTER - 3 goals (4 points) in 17 games

DORSETT - retired due to injury

SBISA - claimed through expansion

Canucks won this trade IMO, even though Benning's hands were tied at the time. Kesler wanted out because he didn't like the weather in VAN during winters (rain) and he knew the Canucks would be rebuilding and he wanted nothing to do with that. Now I guess the Ducks will be rebuilding? lol  

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Huh, from "Rebuild? &^@# that! Send me to a contender" to "Just give me my money" in four and a half year. Classy guy. 

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Forcing a trade to 1 or 2 teams (thus handicapping a rebuilding team to acquire assets) is not the same as forcing the team to not be able to trade you (thus handicapping a rebuilding team to acquire assets) ?

Both scenarios involve a veteran on a rebuilding team not allowing flexibility to the team that drafted him to get better for the future. 

Kesler brought Bonino, Sbisa and a 1st round pick, which eventually has settled us on Brandon Sutter, Gudbranson and Sbisa was our offering for the expansion lottery.

If Edler continues to insist he not be traded and move away for 6 weeks and does not bring this team back any assets, how can you say it is not selfish and detrimental to the team?

If your argument is Edler is just invoking his no trade clause, then Kesler was also just invoking his modified NTC.

"Forcing a trade to 1 or 2 teams (thus handicapping a rebuilding team to acquire assets) is not the same as forcing the team to not be able to trade you (thus handicapping a rebuilding team to acquire assets) ?"

you are correct these things are not the same:

Kesler, despite his NTC, decided he wanted to break his legal word and force a trade, then to make it worse decides to cripple the teams options by saying "Trade me to one of these two teams"

Edler said " I signed a NTC and I want to stay here"

"If Edler continues to insist he not be traded and move away for 6 weeks and does not bring this team back any assets, how can you say it is not selfish and detrimental to the team?"

Strawman, this was not part of the discussion.

3 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

This team was trash. they were not trying to get better. Constantly getting one guy to fit the twins but nothing concrete.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

So in other words they were trying to get better.

Quote the whole sentence...getting one player constantly for one line and not looking at the team a whole. Repeating the same process does not mean they are improving. 

10 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Quote the whole sentence...getting one player constantly for one line and not looking at the team a whole. Repeating the same process does not mean they are improving. 

I never said they got better, just that they were trying.

55 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Yea great places to live for us. Kesler is American and had no ties here whatsoever. I get it that we all subjectively think Vancouver is a great city to live because of our circumstances. 

If you ask anyone who is not from western Canada do you think they choose Vancouver? 

Kesler is not Canadian and he owed no obligation on a personal level to Canucks fans, or the city for that matter. I was disappointed to see him go but I just don’t get the hate. 

Bure wanted out but his jersey is up on the rafters. Players have their own lives too and playing for the Canucks is just a stage in their careers, no more no less. That is why sometimes u take a chance on hometown boys like virtanen and stretcher in hopes that they would actually want to stay in this market 

Higgins has moved here permanently  

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

yes they do 

Umm, how?  Contracts, roster limits, and the teams involved all have a say.  Just cuz someone wants to go to a top team doesn't mean it has to happen.  There is no right to play for who you want to.

I'd cc the original poster on that point too, but the @ functionality doesn't seem to work when I use my phone.

35 minutes ago, gurn said:

"Forcing a trade to 1 or 2 teams (thus handicapping a rebuilding team to acquire assets) is not the same as forcing the team to not be able to trade you (thus handicapping a rebuilding team to acquire assets) ?"

you are correct these things are not the same:

Kesler, despite his NTC, decided he wanted to break his legal word and force a trade, then to make it worse decides to cripple the teams options by saying "Trade me to one of these two teams"

Edler said " I signed a NTC and I want to stay here"

"If Edler continues to insist he not be traded and move away for 6 weeks and does not bring this team back any assets, how can you say it is not selfish and detrimental to the team?"

Strawman, this was not part of the discussion.

Lmao, if you have a no trade clause and decide you would waive it, is not "breaking legal word". 

And great job at avoiding the last part

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

How do you figure that?

Your mixed up???? Horvat 9th overall for top notch goalie Schneider

At the time I thought Canucks should of got more for Schneider as he was a top 15 goalie and Horvat was only 18 not proven as a pro..

2 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

He didn’t handcapp us.  Our terrible ownership or management handicapped us.

The Mcccan pick was fine. It didn’t turned out but was a good asset.

Sbisa , sure I’ll forgive that one because he sort of had potential and was sort of young. Don’t like it but I can understand it. 

Bonino, despite him being a solid second/third line center, there was no reason for not getting Theodore or a 2nd round pick instead. And don’t give me that bs about Anaheim determining that. No team in their right mind wouldn’t want a Getzlaf, Kesler, and Bonino down the middle at the time. Our idiot GM Benning insisted on replacing Kesler in that trade and totally handcappped the assets coming back when a rebuilding team didn’t require Kesler to be instantly replaced properly at all. Putting Horvat there earlier would have been perfectly fine. And we could have had Theodore, Vatinen, or another pick.

The Kesler trade could have been perfectly fine, despite the NTC, if our management was better. Don’t blame Kesler lol

Anytime a pro athlete dictates to there team and gives them only two teams he wants to be traded to is ridiculous..Kesler signed a contract and changed his mind, I understand??

But don't demand to the team your with  that you have two teams to work a deal with?????

This is all on Kesler!!!!! So glad his Ducks will not win a cup and he is stuck on a rebuilding team now...

LOOKS GREAT !!!!!!! 

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Will Edler get the same hatred for handcuffing the Canucks by not wanting to waive his NTC so the Canucks can get assets for him, and he gets a chance at the cup (and could very likely sign back here in the summer)?

Edler is passionate about this team and city. Kesler played his heart out here, but burned all of that with how he left. Why Edler should get any hatred is beyond me. You give the guy a NTC, you don't expect to gain any assets for him in the end. It would be a nice gesture on Edler's part to do such a thing, but that would be Edler going above and beyond on top of giving his all as a Canuck as well. Kesler gave us the finger and demanded a trade and instead of opening up the options for us to maximize the return, he actually handcuffed us. Even if Edler does agree to waive, but only allows a couple of teams, I'm sure you will still be upset with him for "handcuffing" us. There's a huge difference between a player forcing his way out and screwing us over at the same time versus a guy wanting to be here that may or may not be asked to waive his NTC. For Edler, he may want a Cup, but he wants it with Vancouver and he's only 33 so he may still have a shot at it here, but yeah let's hate on him...

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

3 more years after this season at 6.87 mill per. It was a bad contract when ducks extended him. 

He won't waive his NMC from ANA but no one would want to trade for his contract anyways even if he was healthy. 

Agree he is 37 years old GP 44 -- 6 points .... 3 yrs left at 6.8 million,,,

Archived