The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buyers Or Sellers? Should Not Even Be A Question.

TheGuardian_

players that should be moved are

tanev and sutter and edler del zotto pouliot gagner at deadline

some for picks and others to target youngsters coming up 

players id target on forward are puljujarvi and burakovski both players have huge upside and need fresh starts 

anyone have any ideas on dmen we can target in trades 20-25 yr olds 

8 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

@TheGuardian_ We have 4 top 6 fowards 26 and under, but 2 of them are play driving centers. We are in a good position

4? 3 NHL calibre players, 3 under 24 that could be top 6 on any team. Two are centers. Sven is not there, 55 goals over 4+ years does not make a top six NHL calibre player.

But yes the team is setting up to be really good with a couple more star NHL forwards and a stud dman, Hughes isn't here yet, he looks promising but until he shows he is just that, promising and OJ is done as the "stud".

Just now, canuktravella said:

players that should be moved are

tanev and sutter and edler del zotto pouliot gagner at deadline

some for picks and others to target youngsters coming up 

players id target on forward are puljujarvi and burakovski both players have huge upside and need fresh starts 

anyone have any ideas on dmen we can target in trades 20-25 yr olds 

center depth is great with out sutter  petersson horvat  gaudette beagle  just call up gauds  

granlund and schaller can be traded to for all i care dont bring enough to keep 

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

4? 3 NHL calibre players, 3 under 24 that could be top 6 on any team. Two are centers. Sven is not there, 55 goals over 4+ years does not make a top six NHL calibre player.

But yes the team is setting up to be really good with a couple more star NHL forwards and a stud dman, Hughes isn't here yet, he looks promising but until he shows he is just that, promising and OJ is done as the "stud".

hughes and juolevi will be studs    juolevi wont be a bust  canuck fans are way to impatient 

making the playoffs is all well & good, but if it was up to me, we'd listen to offers to trade assets for solid young character guys only. no giving away the farm, and no f-ing delusions of grandeur. if we make the post season, awesome. 

gotta think long term.. like Ice Cube says: life ain't a track meet, it's a marathon.. 

I think we should sell off all our vet defensemen so next year our defence is so horrible that our up and coming goalies get massively horrible stats to help keep their cap hits low.

also, since it’s a buyer’s market this year, I’d like to see really crummy returns, like 3rd round or maybe at the most 2nd round picks in return, translating into nothing down the road.

Let’s not follow the Jets model of neither buying nor selling at the deadline. How boring is that!

We have assets to sell, and could still be competitive?

Baertschi, Schaller, Granlund, Goldobin, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, Pouliout, Gagner, Tryamkin, and maybe a few of the farm guys not named Gaudette or Juolevi.

I'm not saying move them all, but we could move a couple. These guys won't get you much though, but we could use a few more picks. Jimbo has shown he can land gold in latter rounds. Maybe spin the wheel on a few more defenders?

16 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It isn't but I'm pretty familiar with where these discussion go and it's always something along the line of "if we don't have a first overall, we'll never be contenders. So if we're not a contender this year, aim for 1st overall". Repeat for the next 3 years and soon you're wasting prime years. 

Why write off the season when they're still in the hunt for a wildcard spot? By Bo's own words, having something to play for at this time of the year has given the team a much different attitude than previous years. 

Don't need to be like this team is now for 3 more years, just one more season, add the two players (minimum) from this draft and the next and then the team is pretty much done if they pan out.

11 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That's what I think some people are forgetting too: we're not a bubble team with an aging core that needs to be replaced soon. With our current top six core, Bo is the "old man" at 23. 

This is not a bubble team and the top six "core" how many points do they have? Most of the vets are all near or in their 30's and other than Gaudette who was called up only because of injury, none of the other prospects have had a cup of coffee in Vancouver. That is at least 9 more positions needed to be replaced with superior players than the team has now.

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

hughes and juolevi will be studs    juolevi wont be a bust  canuck fans are way to impatient 

At this time they are a hope only, neither has stepped into an NHL games so putting so much faith in them is like saying the 2022 draft pick is going to take the team to the cup, that player hasn't played in the NHL either.

Impatient with OJ, how many years ago was he drafted? How many of his peers have not made the NHL, say top 15 selections? How many have had two major surgeries? How many more years before he is a bust? Or What is a bust? If he is bottom pairing is that a bust?  What position is OJ going to play? Who does he beat out?

As much as Hughes offence looks really good, can he defend against an NHL forward? College is good but it is not even the AHL where players will play "dirty" and only a few college players make a big difference, look at Vesey, for all the hype he is a mid 6 forward and some don't even do that good.

While I don't attribute these players the "gifted" status it is probable they will play in the NHL but until they are they are no more than a fantasy desire. A nice hope though.

16 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

We have assets to sell, and could still be competitive?

Baertschi, Schaller, Granlund, Goldobin, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, Pouliout, Gagner, Tryamkin, and maybe a few of the farm guys not named Gaudette or Juolevi.

I'm not saying move them all, but we could move a couple. These guys won't get you much though, but we could use a few more picks. Jimbo has shown he can land gold in latter rounds. Maybe spin the wheel on a few more defenders?

Tryamkin needs more evaluation.

This Jimbo thing always leaves me baffled, what gold is on the team? Not Boeser, he was ranked at 25, BPA at the Nuck spot.

Apologies, got off topic.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

This Jimbo thing always leaves me baffled, what gold is on the team? Not Boeser, he was ranked at 25, BPA at the Nuck spot.

Jimbo picks, not in the first round: Demko, DiPietro, Madden, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Gaudette.

Also worth mention: Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, Brisebois, Lockwood, Jasek, Palmu.

None of those are first round picks, and more than one of them are going to make the NHL. That's not too bad IMO.

3 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Jimbo picks, not in the first round: Demko, DiPietro, Madden, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Gaudette.

None of those are first round picks, and more than one of them are going to make the NHL. That's not too bad IMO.

Hope :)

1 minute ago, gizmo2337 said:

Pettersson and Quinn are super elite game changing players.  JB picked up Pettersson, likely where the kid was going to be drafted in that 5 hole, but he got super lucky Quinn dropped to us at 7.  In both cases though, JB did draft these two.  Those two picks will lead us to several Cups this coming decade.  

A very active Canuck team at the TDL could offer much more hope for the future than a one and done in a playoff round.

More activity would show movement especially if draft picks are returned, could you see the sell out in Vancouver if they got 10 plus picks, more than one 1rst round selection, no matter which vets they moved the hype over the number of new draft players that the team could ice next year would carry through the last year of getting used to the league, just move enough vets to make the roster spots available.

The amount of chatter if the Canucks sell at the TDL would be immense and positive from attendance at the draft to the expectations of past draftee's playing on the team, to speculation of players signing, like Groot and his impact.

A big sell this year at the TDL and draft will carry them forward two years.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I shouldn't be but....they should be sellers if their words mean anything.

I don't recall Benning ever saying the plan for this year was to sell, or turn over key players for that matter. Fringe guys like Del Zotto, Gagner, etc. sure, but this year was about developing in a competitive way but nothing about that means you have to sell. If anything a stand pat TDL would align with competitive development. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't recall Benning ever saying the plan for this year was to sell, or turn over key players for that matter. Fringe guys like Del Zotto, Gagner, etc. sure, but this year was about developing in a competitive way but nothing about that means you have to sell. If anything a stand pat TDL would align with competitive development. 

Couldn’t agree more. We already have a first round pick and 2nd round this draft. 

Anyone who we draft won’t be ready for another two years. We’ve turned the corner and need to start nurturing the young guns and that doesn’t mean selling anyone over the age of 25 like the Oilers of years past. You need a balance on a team.

Archived