The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Signing Stone is not a good idea... way too much money at $9 million... we'd put ourselves in the same boat as Edmonton and Toronto... Up against the CAP.

What we need to do is get Tryamkin back from Russia and find lower price forward who will fit in the 7/8/9 forward slot... someone who has good size and speed and physicality... a real banger, not a high scorer... someone who can chip in 15 goals and bring grit to the team.

#1 concern has to be defense...  getting Hughes/Juolevi development moving and bringing Tryamkin back should solve that.  The first two are happening, Benning has to get the third element, (Big T) in place.  He should be willing to buy out the KHL contract.

The team already has enough scoring in my opinion... and the top six is fine with Horvat/Baertschi/Boeser/Pettersson/Virtanen/Gaudette.

Agreed.  9 mill for Stone... let some else be stuck with that contract.  Simmonds is a UFA, he would be a gamer and is a leader in the locker room.  There are other options.  We don't need overpay for a winger to play with EP40.  Guys should be lining up for the chance.  

Getting a cost effective d partner to maximize Hughes has to be a club priority.  It is our biggest hole and unless Woo can beat expectations and make the jump next year, we done have alot of RHD in the mold on our roster.  

16 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was not able to watch game live as it was way too late but a few reflections:

• Buffalo has assembled some nice players - lots of speed - but they are not coached very well
  • Demko is the real deal.   I have more on him on his player thread - I am blown away how mature he looked and his reflexes were off the charts...he just needs to get a bit more positionally solid
  • DP showed a few times why he was the CHL Dman of the year and such a high first round pick - he also showed why he sits games - Canucks could really use a D coach for this kid who has more offensive flair .... or maybe Hughes and OJ coming in over the next while will create that by osmosis
  • Virtanen played a solid game again and no one seems to notice 
  • Edler sure likes to hit past few weeks
  • Stecher is getting physically outmatched more than he was earlier in the season
  • Loui must love having the Nylander contract (and Lucic for that matter) to point to
  • Horvat looks tired but driven - All Star break is perfect timing for him
  • Guddy needs to simplify his game a bit more
  • Tanev does soooo many good things - guy is a beast
  • Motte remains a revelation and not sure why more people are not raving about him
  • Beagle is almost as much a captain right now as Horvat - never seems to not try and do everything at full-speed
  • Hutton had an uneven game but it still would have been better than 90% plus of his games last year

I said this a while ago because I have little confidence in Baumer.

Also remarked on this.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Who is CJ?

PL is Pierre LeBrun?

Ferland will want at least Niederreiter money.  Niederreiter is 5.25M and is lower in the lineup.

Ppl on here thought Wilson was overpaid in WSH when he Re signed. 

I disagreed then but looks even better now. Top line winger. Heavy player. Best power forward in NHL right now. 

If Ferland gets  5 plus he scores a great deal.

But ufa vs rfa so that has to be considered. 

MacLellan doing a great job in WSH.

Did a great job re signing Wilson to that contract. 24 years old 5.1 for 6 years. Best power forward in hockey. 

How about Smith Pelly at 1 mill and Kempny at 2.5 mill 4 years. He's pretty much a Tanev. 2 great deals. Both were UFA.

Best GM in league right there with Boterrelli in BUF. 

7 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I'm not Ukrainian ....but I love me some Ukrainian and Polish food ;) 
Irish, English, Belgian, French and First Nations (grandma was 100% Cree).   So typical Canadian mutt. 

I think 8 is the max ... 6.5 over 7 seems about right. 

Perogies best when spice them up a bit.

Archived