The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot's future

Nucks89

I think Pouliot will be given a new one year prove it deal.  With Hughes coming in and with an Edler extension looming he will be the 4th left D, or at the very least in a rotation with Hughes.  With Edler  Tanev and Hutton  Gudbranson partnerships already set up I don't see a Hughes/Pouliot  Stecher 3rd pairing working out.  I hope Tryamkin comes to his senses and leaves one year early and joins the Canucks for next year.  I'd love to see him paired up with Hughes.  It would give us 4 solid pairings and 8 strong D for next year.

Edler      Tanev

Hutton    Gudbranson

Hughes   Tryamkin

Pouliot   Stecher

With injuries always occurring Pouliot and Stecher will get their fair share of playing time.  Tryamkin can also play the left side if needed and Hughes can play on the right.  Juolevi with his injury should stay in Utica one more year. 

18 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

Does he have a spot next season? 

That is more up to him than anyone else.   He certainly has the skill to play big minutes for most any team in the NHL.  He is like almost 50% of the players in the league - his career beyond the current season is constantly being evaluated against the next potential player to take his place.   Careers are getting shorter and not longer in the NHL and players either learn that to not improve/evolve is to have a very quick career.    I think his chances of being one of Vancouver's NHL D roster next year is, at best, 50-50.

18 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

What does he need to improve on?

Becoming a more consistent NHL Dman - particularly making better decisions on his first pass and learning how to use his frame to angle players away from prime scoring positions versus towards them which he can tend to do now and then.

He's playing much better than earlier in the year:  the most glaring gaffs aren't happening any more or at least have been cut back to the level of a normal D.  The tools have always been there, but his decision-making was the problem.  I'm not sure if coaching can completely fix faulty split-second reads, but it can certainly provide some conservative rules of thumb and work-arounds.  As others have noted, that seems to be where he seems to have improved.  If only as a 7-8 on the depth chart, he'll be back next year. 

He's never been as bad as CDC thinks he is, so long as he's allowed to play an appropriate, complimentary 6/7 D, offensive role. Asked to play top 4 with injuries etc and he's clearly over his head. That's not his 'fault'.

I'd imagine we bring him back on another cheap deal as a 6/7 guy, especially as I assume they'll want OJ to get some of the time he missed this year, in Utica. 

But I'd also not be surprised to see us target another UFA etc either. 

I rip on him a lot but he does some good things for sure. Just too many brainfarts. I think paired with Tanev Pouliot wouldn't be near as bad and would be able to use to his solid first pass and skating better.  However, you don;t break up The Eagle & Tanev with how they're playing. 

He'd make a great 7th guy next year.   

Will Pouliot be back next year? IMO a lot has to do with how he finishes his season. While I hope Edler is part of a TDL deal the odds aren't good but even if he was he would be back as a UFA signing. Pouliot's envelope is closing as the org depth starts to squeeze in a more serious way. 

16 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I rip on him a lot but he does some good things for sure. Just too many brainfarts. I think paired with Tanev Pouliot wouldn't be near as bad and would be able to use to his solid first pass and skating better.  However, you don;t break up The Eagle & Tanev with how they're playing. 

He'd make a great 7th guy next year.   

This. It's when injures hit our lineup and DP is forced to play too many minutes that he gets in trouble.

One advantage that Pouliot has over any of our other defensemen is, Green seems comfortable playing him on the right side. He and Edler was a pretty good pairing at the end of last year. 

But most likely, he’ll be re-sign at a bridge deal and split time with Hughes as our 6th-7th defensemen. Which I’m okay with. 

19 hours ago, Rabbit said:

If tree come back, JV is ready and Hughes sign next year, he will get a trade in next year, even before the TDline.

Honestly, he shown a lot of improvements.

However, I think JB will keep Hutton and Bull Dog, or Elder before him.

:bigblush::lol::lol::lol:

Pouliot is playing really well for us lately. He has really surprised me at how he has turned his game around. It also coincides with our form improvement (not forgetting Markstrom's too)

On 1/20/2019 at 10:05 AM, rekker said:

This. It's when injures hit our lineup and DP is forced to play too many minutes that he gets in trouble.

I think it's also the kind of minutes.  When he's the more physical guy on his pairing, it's too heavy a load imo, despite the situations those two (Pouliot and Stecher) play in.

When he's with Edler or Gudbranson, their presence down low does a lot to enable Pouliot to play more to his strengths.  What are the majority of complaints about Pouliot?  His puck moving under pressure down low in his zone.   Sound familiar?  That's where Hutton struggled mightily last season.... Not surprised these changes are enabling Pouliot.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, canuck2288 said:

He has played marginally better lately 

let’s get whatever draft pick we can for him now

I agree that Pouliot has gotten better lately, actually looked pretty good over the last few games. I don't know if the Canucks can afford to let go D (unless it was Del Zotto), as they need the depth. I have doubts Juolevi make the team next year.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot

I am completely blinded by my dislike for this player.

Has he really played better of late? I haven't noticed. I usually just cringe seeing him on the ice in general.

Never really felt like a 'Canuck' to me.

But he's young enough, and fits the timeline. I would love to see some of the Utica d-men cycled through, though.

I don't really see how Brisebois or McEneny or Sautner or Chatfield would be major downgrades on Pouliot for next year.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:40 AM, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

At 25 with how our team is shaping for the future I'd say yes he will be around for another season or two. 

He is a plus 2 this season which is a far cry better then his minus 22.

And with no ideal what we have in olli juolevi or Hughes.

He could as well be a late bloomer like Brett Sopel was and give us a solid 4 or more seasons with 20+ points

I think once we get more stability in the D area we could see him more on the man advantage or more offensive zone coverage where he can utilize his offensive skills better. 

Oh man I used to have a heart attack every time Sopel touched the puck, it was always an adventure. Had to love him though. 

Archived