The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot's future

Nucks89

Pouliot has been around long enough to show us what he is capable of. Yes, he shows flashes of skill and talent but his decision making in the defensive zone is very suspect and that's not something that you can teach - it's instinctive. I doubt he will ever progress beyond what he is today. We got him for nothing so I would put him on waivers to send him to Utica. If we lose him, so be it. Bring up McEneny and allow him to practice with the Canucks. Play Biega until you think McEneny is ready then give him a few games to see how he goes. Brisbois and Sauntner could also be given a chance to play with the Canucks.

He had potential, it showed up once or twice this year, but 90% of the time he has been error proned. And most of them are costly. I find he panics way too easily, gets caught pinching up ice and is slow getting back or tries to force a shot through which ends up getting blocked or deflected right to the other team which half the time results in a breakaway. And don’t even get me started on his horrible passing in his own zone. Lost count how many goals he’s directly caused by his incompetent hockey IQ.

Quinn may be high risk and try to do too much sometimes, but his skating alone will make him twice as good as Pouliot. Of course he has yet to play an NHL game, but I seriously doubt he could be worse than Pouliot. 

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

I remember Green making a comment about the off ice commitment needing to improve for both Hutton and Pouliot last season.  I don't know if it's bad habits, but the implication was about conditioning.  Green wants his guys in the best shape possible.  Hutton took on the challenge, and is in the best shape of his life.  Maybe Pouliot lacks the same commitment?

Canucks wanted him leaner and he lost weight.  Pouliot was 208 last season - he is now 196. 

I don't think the Carolina game is a fair representation of his season. With that said, I believe his future with the team is largely dependent on Quinn Hughes' signing situation, provided he isn't traded by the TDL.

If Hughes signs at the end of March and he has a successful 8 game audition (9+ games means he's eligible for the Seattle expansion draft, but that's a whole other story) then I don't see Pouliot qualified for next season.

If Hughes does not sign until the off-season, I can see Pouliot qualified as insurance. Pouliot can then be relegated to 7th D or moved via trade/waiver wire should Hughes beat him for a spot in the top 6, which is highly probable.

56 minutes ago, therodigy said:

I don't think the Carolina game is a fair representation of his season. With that said, I believe his future with the team is largely dependent on Quinn Hughes' signing situation, provided he isn't traded by the TDL.

If Hughes signs at the end of March and he has a successful 8 game audition (9+ games means he's eligible for the Seattle expansion draft, but that's a whole other story) then I don't see Pouliot qualified for next season.

If Hughes does not sign until the off-season, I can see Pouliot qualified as insurance. Pouliot can then be relegated to 7th D or moved via trade/waiver wire should Hughes beat him for a spot in the top 6, which is highly probable.

This is pretty much how I see it too, though even if Hughes signs, I could see the Canucks signing Pouliot for another 1-year without qualifying him (so that they can sign him for less than his QO).  If Pouliot can get more $ or a better opportunity elsewhere, then I think he's free to go but my sense is management would be fine with bringing him back as a depth option.  From what I can tell, this season was a "show me" season both for management and for Pouliot himself, and so far, a raise doesn't look like it will be justified.

From a depth perspective, if Pouliot could clear waivers, then he would be an excellent depth D for the Canucks.  Carolina was horrific for him (and, as I mentioned in another post, was the first time I have actually seen him get benched) but I agree that it wasn't representative of his overall play this season (more like a highly concentrated example of the gaffes that he commits every now and then).

1 hour ago, therodigy said:

I agree - and if D were to be judged on that game, half of them would be on the waiver wire.

Elder - although he (and Tanev) had good possession numbers, had a couple unfortunate giveaways where he was bailed out.

Same with Hutton - who also had a couple - to go with far and away the worst possession numbers on the blueline.

38.3% corsi for Hutton, with 83.3% ozone starts (15 ozone starts was the most on the team, 3 dzone...)  Carolina owned Hutton, Pettersson, Boeser and Baertschi territorially.

It was a team loss - but as is usually the case, the prevailing wisdom of a lot of GDTers is that if you simply dump the guy you perceive to be the weakest link....then problem solved.

I think it says a lot about this - or any market - the way they treat the players at the bottom of their rosters.

8 hours ago, therodigy said:

Hughes only needs to play 1 game to burn a year and be eligible for the expansion draft.

30 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Hughes only needs to play 1 game to burn a year and be eligible for the expansion draft.

Turns out it's actually less than 10 NHL games in Quinn's case as a 19 year old if he signs this year.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi-qpLvuIrgAhWL6IMKHeJRC4gQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.silversevensens.com%2F2017%2F6%2F1%2F15718986%2Fnhl-expansion-draft-a-primer-2017-las-vegas-golden-knights-rules-requirements-protection-exposure&psig=AOvVaw2HTugd81C4rEcXQXASAZaG&ust=1548557634771718

"A year of professional experience is 10 professional games played under a NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs. For players who are aged 18 or 19* (on Sept. 15th of a given season), those specifically have to be NHL games. Everybody else it can be any league, as long as it’s under an NHL contract"

If Pouliot improves (big if obviously), then he might still have a place here. However, that competition is going to get harder with players like Hughes, Juolevi (provided he fully recovers and gets back on track), and Woo knocking on the door.

I know it's easy to give up on a player like that, especially on this forum, but nothing is over until it's all said and done.

This was right below what you quoted...…….

*The exception is a “19-year-old” player who turns 20 between September 16th and December 31st, and signed their first contract that same calendar year. For those players all games under an NHL contract count, no matter what league.

- So, if Quinn was signed for the last 9 games of the year, and then playoffs...….it would count as a year....

- It also doesn't matter if it is an amateur contract in Utica or not

But if it is 9 games or less....it is not a season...…….

At least, that is how I read it...………..:picard:

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

This was right below what you quoted...…….

*The exception is a “19-year-old” player who turns 20 between September 16th and December 31st, and signed their first contract that same calendar year. For those players all games under an NHL contract count, no matter what league.

- So, if Quinn was signed for the last 9 games of the year, and then playoffs...….it would count as a year....

- It also doesn't matter if it is an amateur contract in Utica or not

But if it is 9 games or less....it is not a season...…….

At least, that is how I read it...………..:picard:

Yes that's correct, at least according to the source. Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that Hughes will very likely make Pouliot's spot in the top 6 redundant. Heck, I'm almost gunning for Sautner or Brisebois to pressbox him come February/ March.

Archived