The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot's future

Nucks89

Remember two years ago, when everyone had enough of Edler and wanted him gone, because of his repetitive boneheaded plays in his own zone?

Fast forward two years later, and everyone wants to re-sign to a new contract.

If a defensemen like Justin Schultz can turn his game around; there is still hope for Pouliot. Unfortunately for him, he plays on a mediocre team, in a Canadian market. So, his mistakes are magnified by 100x. 

He is a plug. Period. He has never shown any flashes of brilliance, has shown some really bad decision making, but most of the time he is just mediocre.

Just like Magma, Kaput, Vey and Weber before him, he is just a warm body occupying a spot until we get someone who is a core piece of the puzzle.

He was a throwaway project who has never panned out and had his chance to prove himself on a couple of teams now. We have seen this before and we know what usually happens to these guys. Baertchi and Granlund are similar but more of an exception to the rule in that they have become useable pieces until their replacements arrive.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:06 PM, shiznak said:

People already assume Juolevi (coming off a major injury) and Hughes (who doesn’t even have a contract) will be ready, by next season.

so you are saying we will still have the same crappy set of D men fir next season too? Hughes is ready, he was ready even this year and he will be signed. Joulevi will eventually be given time on the regular roster. There is no way we go to next season with the same set of D men which we had last season and this season. That would be really stupid. They need to sign a couple of UFA D men aside from Hughes joining the team. Thats how bad our defense is right now.

13 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I really could not care on but about his hockey future as long it’s it not with us 

so done with him 

he is nowhere near an NHL calibre player 

Scary part, he is better than OJ, he couldn't break into the line up, Boeser had more severe back surgery and was scoring within months, OJ was less severe and only a month or so after Boeser's, OJ still had 6 to 8 weeks to train.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:42 AM, shiznak said:

Remember two years ago, when everyone had enough of Edler and wanted him gone, because of his repetitive boneheaded plays in his own zone?

Fast forward two years later, and everyone wants to re-sign to a new contract.

If a defensemen like Justin Schultz can turn his game around; there is still hope for Pouliot. Unfortunately for him, he plays on a mediocre team, in a Canadian market. So, his mistakes are magnified by 100x. 

Laughable trying to compare Pouliot to Edler 

Pouliot makes a team meadiocre and by your definition a great team can hide talentless guys like Pouliot? 

Many if us saw the talent in Edler from day one and not everyone on here was on his case. I for one have never questioned Edler’s ability 

11 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Scary part, he is better than OJ, he couldn't break into the line up, Boeser had more severe back surgery and was scoring within months, OJ was less severe and only a month or so after Boeser's, OJ still had 6 to 8 weeks to train.

Biega is twice the d man Pouliot is. We have  other options in Utica as well 

as for OJ, I hope he turns into something because we passed up on some great players to take him 

20 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Laughable trying to compare Pouliot to Edler 

Pouliot makes a team meadiocre and by your definition a great team can hide talentless guys like Pouliot? 

Many if us saw the talent in Edler from day one and not everyone on here was on his case. I did one have never questioned Edler’s ability 

Didn’t compare Edler to Pouliot at all. I was simply stating that our fanbase more often than not, misjudges a player worth. If anything I was comparing Pouliot to Schultz. 

Schultz was miscasted by the Oilers fanbase, moved on to a better team, where he wasn’t castrated by the fans for every little mistake he did or did not do. Thus, improved his all around game.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Didn’t compare Edler to Pouliot at all. I was simply stating that our fanbase more often than not, misjudges a player worth. If anything I was comparing Pouliot to Schultz. 

Schultz was miscasted by the Oilers fanbase, moved on to a better team, where he wasn’t castrated by the fans for every little mistake he did or did not do. Thus, improved his all around game.

Schulz is still far from event a decent nhl defenceman but you are right, success covers sins 

even when we were rolling we all lived with Pouliot’s shortcomings. When he glaringly commits turnovers that lead to and contribute to losses then the angers boils over 

Archived