[Proposal] Dream Scenario. And not impossible

IMO team should play hard but playoffs should not be the focus this year 

at deadline. 

Trade elder and tanev for assets

resign elder to cap friendly deal. 3 and 15 max

sign Karlsson. 4 year 32 mil

sign A forward. Maybe stone?  

Hopefully turn the elder/ Taney / godly? Into another top six 

This is not impossible. Long shot to get karlson but adding him and retaining elder plus Quinn to the roster fills out the backend great. 

Why doesn't Edler deserve a raise?

Can argue weather or not you want to keep him but most teams would be happy to have him at 6 mill

Why would Karlsson sign a 4 year deal when everyone will be offering 7 year term at 9 mill+???

Stone? Would love him! Maybe he wants to come play with Pettersson and Boeser?

Much better chance of that happening then the first two pipe dreams

Cap may go to 83 mil. Even karlson at 6 for 60. Elder at 5 for 3. I think he would take the discount. If not move on. My point is tons of space next year. No point in chasing this year. Get some assets. Team is in a good position to make business decisions. Not so confident in Benning to run that ship tho. Seriously. If they really want to make a run it would be best in the next 3 year window. Year 2 and 3 could be a contender. It’s not as far away possibly.  

Lets hope another one of our good draft pick(Q. Hughes) pans out the way Elias P. has and Olli O. comes into the league to do HIS thing(play a steady uncomplicated game) , for years to come.Not to mention that Gaudette is developing nicely and Dahlen or MacEwan or someone else comes into the league and lights it up.

Well you did say DREAM,right!

Edler can easily get $6M on the open market and maybe even $6.5M. I'd be thrilled if we could get him for $5.5M. $5M seems highly unlikely. IMO, it would be worth it to sign Edler even if it costs us $6M on a short-term deal.

Karlsson is not signing for less than $10M unless he's giving some major discounts, so good luck with that $8M proposal.

Stone would be nice, but the price tag for him is probably $8M. I wouldn't be heavily opposed, though it's definitely a risk.

We have 2 LHD potentially coming up in the organization next season so trading Edler makes total sense. Would he waive though?? I don't think so. He wants to be just like the Sedins and play his entire career here. 

In terms of hockey ability, I'd choose Karlsson over pretty much any D currently in the NHL. But for attitude, Edler has show some tremendous loyalty. Edler should take a paycut, just like the Sedins on their last deal. But hopefully that pay cut is during FA after we had already acquired a 1st++ for him during this year's trade-deadline. 

Then draft another stud Dman with that 1st round pick.

But IMO, we should draft another high-flying, ultra skilled forward like Kakko, or Jack Hughes.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Edler can easily get $6M on the open market and maybe even $6.5M. I'd be thrilled if we could get him for $5.5M. $5M seems highly unlikely. IMO, it would be worth it to sign Edler even if it costs us $6M on a short-term deal.

Karlsson is not signing for less than $10M unless he's giving some major discounts, so good luck with that $8M proposal.

Stone would be nice, but the price tag for him is probably $8M. I wouldn't be heavily opposed, though it's definitely a risk.

You do realize the top paid dman in the league is at 9 mil right now.  10 mil a season would be tops. And nucks have room. 6 mil a year for an older elder would be dumb. 8 mil for stone???  Wtf

20 minutes ago, nitti999 said:

You do realize the top paid dman in the league is at 9 mil right now.  10 mil a season would be tops. And nucks have room. 6 mil a year for an older elder would be dumb. 8 mil for stone???  Wtf

On the first point, two things:

1. You need to account for when these contracts were signed and what the salary cap was at the time. Subban's $9M cap hit was signed back in 2014 and at the time, constituted of 13.0% of the $69M salary cap. Today's salary cap is $79.5M, meaning that an equivalent amount would be $10.4M per year. In addition, the cap will likely increase again this year, meaning that $9M back when Subban's contract was signed would be even more.

2. Karlsson has been the best NHL defenseman over the last 5 years. It wouldn't be crazy for him to be the highest paid defenseman in the NHL, because he's historically been the best in the NHL. I don't know about you, but I'd say Karlsson deserves more than Subban did in 2014, so even higher amounts than $10M are reasonable (recall that Subban's $9M contract in today's cap world is equivalent to $10.4M). I wouldn't even be surprised to see $11M or $12M because Karlsson is just that good.

On the point for Stone, you're probably heavily underrating his defense. Stone is already making $7.35M, so $8M is only just a bit higher than he's already making. Stone is already producing at a similar rate and scoring at closer to a 40-goal pace. $8M is not outside the realm of reason for a young dynamic two-way forward.

The one place I agree with you on is that we do have room. Like I said, I'm not really opposed to signing Stone--it'd just be expensive and therefore risky. I really do like Stone though.

I will not re sign Edler. His recents plays could attract some teams and i wish him the best while he's still on the team and help us to reach the PO, but i can't forget all the bad plays he did, all the bad decisions at blue line, his horrible trend to mask our goalie which drives me crazy, his slow footing or bad pivoting. 

At the opposite, i would focus 100% on Tanev. man this guy is our true #1 defensive-Dman. With his faculty to read the play, to intercept and cutting the passing lines, to separate the carrier from the puck, excellent positionning and still have good wheels to carry the puck he just excels on Dzone and i still want him in the future.  

3 hours ago, nitti999 said:

Cap may go to 83 mil. Even karlson at 6 for 60. Elder at 5 for 3. I think he would take the discount. If not move on. My point is tons of space next year. No point in chasing this year. Get some assets. Team is in a good position to make business decisions. Not so confident in Benning to run that ship tho. Seriously. If they really want to make a run it would be best in the next 3 year window. Year 2 and 3 could be a contender. It’s not as far away possibly.  

If we make the playoffs, we will probably get to play Calgary. That's gonna be a fun series, would be even sweeter if we knock them out and EP gets like 14 points in 7 games.

I think we should let things play out and do not trade Edler and Tanev.

Go after Karlsson: 12 x 7.

Re-sign Edler: 6 x 4.

Trade Tanev at the deadline.

Edler-Karlsson: this is going to be a heck of a first pairing.

Hughes-Gudbranson: Hughes handles the puck, Guddy brings the physicality.

Hutton-Stecher: These guys can both skate and move the puck decently and will make a fine 3rd pairing.

I feel like your Edler proposal is wishful thinking.  If he is traded it will be on bad terms.  I dont think JB is going to ask him to waive.  Maybe if this season was a serious disaster than yeah, any player could be fair game but given their success so far, I think he just leaves the majority intact.  Perhaps he surprises us with something though.  

7 hours ago, nitti999 said:

Drew Doughty's cap hit starting next year is $11 million per season.

Karlsson is, arguably, better than Drew Doughty. 11 million per year is his baseline. 

5 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

I will not re sign Edler. His recents plays could attract some teams and i wish him the best while he's still on the team and help us to reach the PO, but i can't forget all the bad plays he did, all the bad decisions at blue line, his horrible trend to mask our goalie which drives me crazy, his slow footing or bad pivoting. 

At the opposite, i would focus 100% on Tanev. man this guy is our true #1 defensive-Dman. With his faculty to read the play, to intercept and cutting the passing lines, to separate the carrier from the puck, excellent positionning and still have good wheels to carry the puck he just excels on Dzone and i still want him in the future.  

Tanev is a great shutdown guy but we need to lessen the load on him nightly and maybe injury goes down a bit. Still need another # 1/2 RD.

10 hours ago, nitti999 said:

IMO team should play hard but playoffs should not be the focus this year 

at deadline. 

Trade elder and tanev for assets

resign elder to cap friendly deal. 3 and 15 max

sign Karlsson. 4 year 32 mil

sign A forward. Maybe stone?  

Hopefully turn the elder/ Taney / godly? Into another top six 

This is not impossible. Long shot to get karlson but adding him and retaining elder plus Quinn to the roster fills out the backend great. 

Every year, CDC or any team fans want to trade and re-sign a pending UFA for cheap and it basically never happens.   Reason is, once a team decide to move on, usually the player does the same or he gets FMV somewhere else while we lowball him.  It's usually not about money, but more about pride, when you have given years of service to an organization and they lowball you, they usually wants somewhere they feel wanted.  We had the same discussion with Hamhuis,   Except for guys like Plekanec but it never turns out like everyone wishes. 

Absolutely impossible Karlsson signs a 32M$ deal or anything under 9M$.  9M$ x 7 is the absolute minimum bid if you want Karlsson to even consider you (maybe that is even too low).    

PK Subban 9M, Dought 11M, Burns 8x8M (signed in November 2016), John Carlson 8x8M (not really a perenial Norris candidate), Shea Weber 7.875 (signed 2012), Hedman 7.875 (signed 2016).  

On the other hand, Stone I think at 26 is a prime candidate if we want to be agressive on the UFA market.

Just keep to the plan.

Draft and Develop.   If the player is no longer in the plans (Burrows, Hansen, Etc) trade for picks and prospects.

Provided that they hit on the picks, this should ensure a steady stream of young players at every position on ELC.

The only ones that are indispensable are EP40 and Horvat.  If other players are demanding HUGE money, trade them for a bountiful return (1st + A prospects).

Playoffs is ALWAYS the focus. I'm not going to complain about getting a mid-round pick if that means some playoff hockey. As Benning was saying, these meaningful games are so important to a young team, it shows them what it takes to be successful in the playoffs and to win a Cup. I think it's time they make a real push. Canucks are getting great goaltending, they're healthy, possibly have Hughes coming up soon. And who knows who Benning might sign  or what trades he'll make, to make this an even better team. I'm done losing. Love the high picks year after year, always fun on Draft Day for a bottom feeder, but I want to see what Pettersson does in the playoffs.     

Archived