The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Unique Oilers-Canucks Idea

Edmonton put Ryan Spooner on waivers today, clearly admitting mistake with the Strome and Eberle deals, and willing to part with him for free, or bury his salary in the minors.  If Spooner clears waivers, I think we may have a creative trade opportunity with Edmonton.

The Trade

Loui Eriksson (50% retained) for Ryan Spooner

The Math

For simplicity sake, we will say we are half way through this year.

Spooner has 1.5 years left at $4mil cap hit and salary and $6 total salary remaining

Eriksson has 3.5 years left at $6 mil cap hit and $16.5 total salary remaining ($4.71mil salary per year)

If the Canucks retain 50% of Eriksson's salary then:

The Canucks have $7 mil cap hit for the next 1.5 years, and $3 mil for the following 2 years.  

The Oilers have $3 million cap hit for the next 3.5 years.  

The Reason For Vancouver

At 33 years old with four years remaining, Loui Eriksson clearly isn't in our long-term plans.  His $6 million cap hit is an albatross, and since the Canucks are rebuilding (our current playoff spot doesn't change that), our short term cap hit matters less than our long term cap hit.  What this deal does is makes us take on a little more cap hit short term ($7M instead of $6M) but less long term ($3M instead of $6M).  To make this trade we give up an older but better player.   

There are two main advantages in this trade for the Canucks.  First is that for the final two years, the Canucks save $3 million in cap space.  Second is that we take a shot on Ryan Spooner. Spooner is having a terrible year but only last year he scored 41 points in 59 games between Tampa and New York.  He is only 26 years old, and clearly is skilled.  The Canucks give Spooner enough ice time to try to revive his career and get some momentum. He could end up being a good addition in the right situation.  He has 1.5 years left on his deal to prove himself.  I could even see him getting some time on the wing with Boeser and Petterson.

The Reason For Edmonton

Chiarelli is fully in win-now mode, trying to save his job, and finally turn the corner for the Oilers.  Edmonton is stacked with top end talent in McDavid and Draisaitl but really weak with depth, and Spooner didn't work out for them.  They want to get rid of Spooner for nothing, but if there are no takers, then they use his negative value and actually receive a positive player in return.  Eriksson at $6 million would be a terrible addition, but Eriksson at $3 million is actually a good addition to the roster.  He's a veteran, defensively responsible, can score, and has lots of experience.  He can play on the second or third line for Edmonton, and they essentially acquire him for free (since they don't want Spooner) and at a decent salary price for his value.  The term is a bit longer then they would like but they also dump Spooners money, and trading the last two years of a player at $3 million cap hit ($2mil actual salary) shouldn't be too hard.

It's a strange suggestion, but gives the Canucks long-term cap relief of $3 million and the Oilers a productive veteran forward as well as a little short term cap relief in exchange for a player they don't want.

Eriksson has played well this year. He's only 5 points away from a career high with Vancouver. Not saying much though, as his "high" is 24 points lol

But he does more than just put points on the board. He's got a solid D game, good on the pk, etc. He's better than Spooner IMO.

I'd prefer we take on Spooner for Edmonton's 2nd rounder. Pure, simple cap dump for a guy we can bury in the AHL.

Or, trade Gagner 1 mil retained to EDM for Spooner and a reserve list prospect. 

On July 2nd, Loui is a 1/2 price player for a floor team if we really want to move him. We can keep him for Seattle expansion as well. 

2 hours ago, underrated said:

The Reason For Vancouver

At 33 years old with four years remaining, Loui Eriksson clearly isn't in our long-term plans.  His $6 million cap hit is an albatross, and since the Canucks are rebuilding (our current playoff spot doesn't change that), our short term cap hit matters less than our long term cap hit.  What this deal does is makes us take on a little more cap hit short term ($7M instead of $6M) but less long term ($3M instead of $6M).  To make this trade we give up an older but better player.   

There are two main advantages in this trade for the Canucks.  First is that for the final two years, the Canucks save $3 million in cap space.  Second is that we take a shot on Ryan Spooner. Spooner is having a terrible year but only last year he scored 41 points in 59 games between Tampa and New York.  He is only 26 years old, and clearly is skilled.  The Canucks give Spooner enough ice time to try to revive his career and get some momentum. He could end up being a good addition in the right situation.  He has 1.5 years left on his deal to prove himself.  I could even see him getting some time on the wing with Boeser and Petterson.

That statement is not entirely true.  Yes Eriksson is off the books, but you need a body to fill his void.  Most likely a 2-3M$ guy.  Therefore you replace Eriksson with this guy, but your still paying Eriksson's 3M$ salary, might as well just keep him.  

I also dont agree that Eriksson's contract is an albatross.  Is it a bad contract yes, but Eriksson is not a useless plug.  He's actually a decent two-way guy, just hasn't delivered offensively to justify his 6M$ cap hit.  Actually at 2.5-3.5M$, he would probably be right on the money for a top 9 attackers. 

Instead of eating over 9M$ of his salary over the next 4 years, the Canucks could wait for Petterson's ELC to be over,  pay Eriksson's sigining bonus of 1M$ in July 2021, and trade him to a cap floor team, who would be on the hook for his base salary of 3M$, while having a cap hit of 6M$.  Pretty sure, the cost of shipping that contract in his last year wouldn't be that bad.   That's not even considering the potential of a lockout and a free buyout that could help us get rid of Eriksson earlier.  

That got me thinking, if there is a full lockout in 2020-21, does Petterson's last year of ELC slides to 2021-22??  Or it's washed away?

It probably

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

That got me thinking, if there is a full lockout in 2020-21, does Petterson's last year of ELC slides to 2021-22??  Or it's washed away?

It probably depends on what the PA and NHL agree on. In the past, they’ve agreed that extra years aren’t added to the contracts, other then the standard situation of 18/19 year old ELC slides.

Based on that precedent, I think a full lock-out (ie, miss an entire season à la 2004-05) would result in the ELC ending at the end of 2020-21 (just my opinion).  :huh:

Good job on an outside the box proposal. It's interesting to read creative ideas like this. 

With that said, I don't think it works out considering the Oilers need as much cap space as they can get moving forward. I think they'd prefer to lose a pick to dump Spooner rather than add a rather insignificant piece. 

21 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd prefer we take on Spooner for Edmonton's 2nd rounder. Pure, simple cap dump for a guy we can bury in the AHL.

Or, trade Gagner 1 mil retained to EDM for Spooner and a reserve list prospect. 

On July 2nd, Loui is a 1/2 price player for a floor team if we really want to move him. We can keep him for Seattle expansion as well. 

This is better asset management. Good Idea.

Archived