The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Swede Ever? Round 2

J-Dizzle

3rd best Swede?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the 3rd best Swede of all time?

• Daniel Sedin
    • Henrik Sedin
    • Erik Karlsson
    • Mats Sundin
    • Markus Naslund
    • Borje Salming
    • Kent Nilsson
    • Daniel Alfredsson
    • Hakan Loob
    • Henrik Lundqvist
    • Henrik Zetterberg

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2019 at 02:00 AM

Congratulations to Nick Lidstrom (64 votes) and Peter Forsberg (31 votes) for being deemed the clear number 1 and 2 Swedes of all time.  This round will be for 3rd best overall.  As with the last round, if there continues to be enough interest I'll post a poll for number four sometime this weekend.  If there's anyone you feel should be added to the list feel free to state your case :D 

1.)  Lidstrom

2.)  Forsberg

3.)  ___________

Voted Salming although Sundin is definitely in the conversation. I just don't think it's possible to overstate the importance Salming had for euros, how tough he was and how good of a player he actually was too.

Regarding the Sedins - they should be one option of course, not two! If they were, I probably couldn't help myself from voting for them althoug I'd knew it was the wrong thing to do ;-)

Didn't have the "best" career but the best offensive player was Kent Nilsson..........

• 9th fastest player in NHL history to score 500 points (372 GP) behind Wayne Gretzky (234), Mario Lemieux (287), Peter Stastny (322), Mike Bossy (349), Eric Lindros (352), Jari Kurri (356), Bryan Trottier (362) & Sidney Crosby (369)[4]
  • Nilsson is one of the most technically superb players that Sweden has ever produced. He could awe crowds with his stickhandling and playmaking abilities and skated effortlessly. The slippery winger was as skilled a player as their ever was.

So with all that skill why isn't Kent Nilsson mentioned in the same breath as Gretzky or Orr? Simple. He was lazy. He'd even admit it on occasion. He rarely worked out and relied strictly on his god-given talent. But oh what a talent to watch!
  • Nilsson, known as the Magic Man or Magic by the fans (Duhatschek claims credit for the moniker) and Kenta by his teammates (it was a play on Kunta Kinte in the Roots TV mini-series), was the Flames' star. His talent was breathtaking (Wayne Gretzky said at the time Nilsson was the most talented player in the NHL, not him) but his inspiration was sometimes lacking. Still, his laidback personality and terrific sense of humour made him popular with his teammates and the media.

Going with Karlsson.  Why?  He’s got more first line all-star nominations then anyone left (4), had the record for Swedish born defenseman in a single season with 82 beating out Lidstrom (and playing on a team with a hell of a lot less to work with), and take out his first two season and he’s close to a PPG player during the past seven seasons.  

In Sochi he won a silver medal, was named defenseman of the tournament and tied for the scoring lead with Phil Kessel.

Won two Norris trophies, and has been a perennial nominee since his third season.  Nobody else on the list has hardware more than one season other then him and Lidstrom.

Is one of three defenseman to be top ten in scoring three times, Orr and Coffey are the other two.  And he’s managed all of this in a period of time that scoring has been dead puck era low, or 1950’s like.  

Its no wonder SJ has taken such a turn around in the standings, as Wilson said it took the rest of the team a while to catch up to him and what he’s capable of doing with the puck, no defenseman has scored as much as him since Dec, he’s rocketed up the list and at this rate is on pace to destroy his assist record and possibly end up with mid-80’s...sure scoring is up this year, but that would be two seasons with more points than Lidstrom, and he still had a lot of prime years left.  

Anyone paying attention to what he did a few years ago when they almost beat the eventual cup champs in PIT and went to the final in a game seven OT, he was otherworldly.   Not many players in his generation can do that, and he’s the best defenseman of his generation with little debate.   With longevity AND a good team, he could end up breaking Lidstoms Swedish records.  Heck he’s only on what many thought was SJ last hurrah years, Marleua is gone, Thornton is at most a year away if not this year,  Pavelski is in his mid thirties...and Burns is 33 and he’s making a mediocre team into a contender.   Not exactly 90’s and 2000’s Detroit (Lidstrom didn’t have to pass the puck very far to get an assist in those days), but a hell of a lot better than OTT, it will be interesting to see what he can do this year in the playoffs, because so far in SJ he’s been their best player and team MVP (again that’s coming from Wilson in a week old article).  

I talked about this in the first thread, I’ve watched a lot of Lidstrom, yes he was great, but he wasn’t the best defenseman of his generation and there were several others that had as good or better careers than him during the 90’s, then they aged out or retired and he started winning his trophies.   I’ve also watched a lot of Karlsson, if I had to pick one of them at their best or in their prime or whatever that is it would be a very difficult decision.  Lidstrom always had HHOF talent to play with which made it look easy because it was.   Nobody else on the list had as many first all-star spots (Naslund is next up with three, but as a L winger it’s a little easier to do, still props to him).  Doubt Sundin has any. 

Tough not to have feet issues- Forsberg ahead of Lidstrom, but it’s that close. Then Sundin.

Its laughable to have Naslund on this list, IMO. 

The Sedin twins were dominating the NHL with their ESP for a short stretch, all most as short as Naslund’s, and then were very average, one-dimensional, offensive forwards who rode the gravy train. 

Best players ever? Hardly. Least clutch Canucks forwards ever, yes, those three. 

Lundqvist all the way. His awards and Stanley Cup, his numbers in his position beats Sundin by a long shot. Also there are tons of great Swedish players but how many Goalies are there from Sweden that's been better than Lundqvist.

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Lundqvist all the way. His awards and Stanley Cup, his numbers in his position beats Sundin by a long shot. Also there are tons of great Swedish players but how many Goalies are there from Sweden that's been better than Lundqvist.

He doesn't have a Stanley Cup, he is the best Swedish goalie tho

On 1/25/2019 at 9:16 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Tough not to have feet issues- Forsberg ahead of Lidstrom, but it’s that close. Then Sundin.

Its laughable to have Naslund on this list, IMO. 

The Sedin twins were dominating the NHL with their ESP for a short stretch, all most as short as Naslund’s, and then were very average, one-dimensional, offensive forwards who rode the gravy train. 

Best players ever? Hardly. Least clutch Canucks forwards ever, yes, those three. 

What a surprising post coming from a chronic negative Nancy :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

What a surprising post coming from a chronic negative Nancy :rolleyes:

Oh, this is embarrassing.

Unfortunately, I don’t remember you so I can quite tell...

Are you looking to be a groupie or do you just need an autograph? 

Attack the post, not the poster, and don’t be so jealous of my fame. 

25EB39E9-CF4D-47BD-B036-ED6E2958E480.gif.d519628085cfb2007570ef9d9b08933c.gif

Archived