The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning interview on Sportsnet 650

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

My thoughts on what he said:

- I agree with the notion that the best thing for this team now is to feel success and get playoff experience, not lose more for a high pick.

- I'm thrilled to hear that Benning won't be mortgaging the future for a shot at the playoffs. This man gets it.

- Glad to see he's going to talk with Edler soon. I'm hoping for a new short- to mid-term contract (2-4 years)

- Interesting that he's most high on Sautner and Chatfield. I'm personally much higher on McEneny.

- Juolevi's development will definitely be stalled with this injury. He may need another year in Utica before making the NHL, which would be a disappointment.

- Kole Lind has done well in Utica lately, but was developing very slowly prior to recent games. I'm much lower on him than I used to be. Interesting to see that Jim is still hyped about him.

So excited about this team, Jim Benning better than Chiarelli 100% the canucks got the right guy for GM.. Benning has done an outstanding job, credit to him for taking the heat from us fans from early on , but his drafting has the fans excited for the future and now the future is putting a great show for us this year ! 

It would be an added bonus if these young players made the playoffs, and honestly us fans should not be mad if we get swept, this will be another learning curve for our young players. future is bright..! 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

- I agree with the notion that the best thing for this team now is to feel success and get playoff experience, not lose more for a high pick.

- I'm thrilled to hear that Benning won't be mortgaging the future for a shot at the playoffs. This man gets it.

- Glad to see he's going to talk with Edler soon. I'm hoping for a new short- to mid-term contract (2-4 years)

- Interesting that he's most high on Sautner and Chatfield. I'm personally much higher on McEneny.

- Juolevi's development will definitely be stalled with this injury. He may need another year in Utica before making the NHL, which would be a disappointment.

- Kole Lind has done well in Utica lately, but was developing very slowly prior to recent games. I'm much lower on him than I used to be. Interesting to see that Jim is still hyped about him.

He's a defenceman, so he should take more time if he needs to. His ceiling is still projected to be very high.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He's a defenceman, so he should take more time if he needs to. His ceiling is still projected to be very high.

Of course it's better to take the time he needs than to rush him, but I personally was hoping he'd be ready for some NHL time next year.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No surprises there.

Cole's notes:

Not buyers.

Stay the course.

Not buyers, tweakers. I can see minor stuff that Benning probably wants to do if there's opportunity. We have a few guys in the system who could likely be moved for picks or prospects.

I could also see us being willing to use our cap space to take on an expiring contract and a draft pick from another team that needs to make space for other moves.

I think if there's a hockey trade that improves the group somehow we might see it, otherwise I would imagine the major moves are done for this year, other than the Edler extension and maybe a few Hughes games.

33 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

not sure he's higher on these guys, we've just seen more of McEneny than Chatfield. 

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Good assessment. After listening to the interview I would add a few things.

1. The item emphasized by Rintoul and Walker was the statement that Benning's strategy toward the deadline will not be affected by where the team is as the deadline approaches. Specifically, the phrase "won't mortgage the future" came up several times. Benning also emphasized that the draft would be in Vancouver this year and pretty much said he would not trade away draft picks. So the Canucks will not be buyers in an effort to make the playoffs. I was very happy to hear this.

2. However, Benning also implied that the team is not likely to be a seller. He said that a hockey trade is possible -- player for player at maybe a similar age. But he emphasized that the only UFA coming up is Edler and he will be talking to Edler and his agent over the next couple of days. I like the fact that Benning did not tip his hand on Edler, but I think Edler is likely to be re-signed. And that is fine with me.

3. I think Benning has no interest in trading guys like Tanev or Sutter who sometimes have been mentioned as tradeable assets. So I do not expect the Canucks to be very active at the deadline. I am guessing the team would be happy to trade Goldy for a pick or good prospect, but Benning gave no hint about that one way or the other.

4. I was interested to hear Benning say that he "cycles" through conversations with other GMs every two weeks or so. I think that means he talks to every other GM roughly every two weeks. I know he makes those calls, but I had been wondering how often they occur.

5. Benning identified 5 players as part of the emerging young core: EP, Horvat, Boeser, Demko and Hughes (no surprise there) and spoke positively about Marky. And he talked quite a lot about Juolevi and LInd, I did not hear him comment on other prospects by name. I would have liked to hear him comment on Woo, Dahlen, MacEwan, and Gaudette. He did not mention Sautner or Chatfield by name and I did not draw the conclusion that he was particularly high on those guys compared with, say, McEneny or Brisebois.

6. Benning emphasized that your core should come from drafting and development, not trades or UFAs, and that there are no shortcuts. I would have preferred that strategy to be followed from Day 1. Obviously the team did pay quite a lot for UFAs over the first  couple of years and did trade for established players. I understand Benning's stated view that he wanted the team to be competitive to help with player development. In any case, I am happy with what I am hearing now.

7. I was also interested to hear Benning say that this year's draft class is a strong class and that he expects the Canucks to get potential core player with a pick in the mid-teens if the Canucks pick there -- even if they make the playoffs and pick at 17 or 18.

Overall it was a good interview. I certainly learned a few things I was wondering about.

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not buyers, tweakers. I can see minor stuff that Benning probably wants to do if there's opportunity. We have a few guys in the system who could likely be moved for picks or prospects.

I could also see us being willing to use our cap space to take on an expiring contract and a draft pick from another team that needs to make space for other moves.

yes - and deals that bring in players that could be part of this team's future are not out of the question either.   That might make the team better in the present, but would have more to do with making them better moving forward.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yes - and deals that bring in players that could be part of this team's future are not out of the question either.   That might make the team better in the present, but would have more to do with making them better moving forward.

Exactly. I completely trust Benning and his approach. Haven't felt this positive about the overall direction of the team since Brian Burke was running things. 

59 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Re Kole Lind:  there was a lot of hype about Lind heading into training camp and while he has had a slow start, it's possible that he ends up playing lights out and having a very respectable rookie season in the AHL that is in keeping with perhaps a more reasonable expectation for him.  With Lind's recent string of strong play, I would be interested to see if he can start producing on a regular basis for the remainder of the season.  IMHO, it would be fine to see him have a slow start through the first 30-40 games and then start producing at a high rate once things start to click for him.  If Lind can end up producing similar numbers to MacEwen's rookie season, then I would be just fine with that.  It would take a really solid second half for him to achieve that and, to me, would be a clear sign of progress.

IMHO, it's Gadjovich who is developing a bit less favorably than expected.  Gadjovich was seen as a potential power forward type guy but it seems like he's responding more slowly than Lind.  From what I have seen, it's harder to translate a power forward game successfully from junior to pro so it might take Gadjovich a bit longer.  Hopefully he also starts to click as the season goes on.

At the end of the day, I'm all for patience with prospects so it's good to hear that management is focused on investing in the future instead of going for broke just because the team is doing surprisingly well this season.

Pretty much what I'd expect from JB and co which is nice. These guys get it and they're playing the long game.

Things will never be perfect but I'd take this management and ownership over the mess they've had in Edmonton any day. The future is getting brighter.

Benning's saying all the right things and has the team trending in the right direction.  Very happy with how well he's re-stocked the cupboard without gifting spots to guys before they're ready.  He's not perfect but he's shown a willingness to move on from his mistakes. 

I'd be very angry if he was fired.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I’m as big of a homer as you’ll find. Bleed blue and green. And I’m a big JB fan. But I’m just not sure that’s true. When you pick the first defencemen in the draft at fifth overall I think it’s safe to say you’re wanting a top pairing if not true number one D man. We’ve gone from that to “We still think he can be a top 4 D man”. Obviously I hope I’m incredibly wrong and OJ makes me look like a fool. But at the moment with what MT is doing in Calgary. It looks like that was the wrong pick. 

Archived