The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning interview on Sportsnet 650

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

37 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Not sure how you can say that with a lottery system

Flyers moved up from 13th to 2nd pick that year

If we had MT, we probably would have squeezed out a few extra wins and we wouldn't have EP as Rangers wanted him so badly and they were in prime position to snag him and we might be above Rangers if we had MT anyways.

10 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

If we had MT, we probably would have squeezed out a few extra wins and we wouldn't have EP as Rangers wanted him so badly and they were in prime position to snag him and we might be above Rangers if we had MT anyways.

“If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, everyday would be Christmas” 

We have both EP AND HUGHES.  No more wishing for CUPS.  These two are bringing us three!  :towel:

On 1/23/2019 at 4:43 PM, -AJ- said:

Of course it's better to take the time he needs than to rush him, but I personally was hoping he'd be ready for some NHL time next year.

He would have been ready for end of this year but you know....injury....uhg. 

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-benning-trade-deadline-strategy

Couldn't find a tweet from the interview on Sportsnet but I found it here instead.

Could be a mix of Goldobin, Hutton, Stecher, Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Gaunce, Pouliot that he is alluding to.

and schaller.

Couldn't find a tweet from the interview on Sportsnet but I found it here instead.

Could be a mix of Goldobin, Hutton, Stecher, Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Gaunce, Pouliot that he is alluding to.

and schaller.

and schaller.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:37 PM, WalkWithElias40 said:

So excited about this team, Jim Benning better than Chiarelli 100% the canucks got the right guy for GM.. Benning has done an outstanding job, credit to him for taking the heat from us fans from early on , but his drafting has the fans excited for the future and now the future is putting a great show for us this year ! 

It would be an added bonus if these young players made the playoffs, and honestly us fans should not be mad if we get swept, this will be another learning curve for our young players. future is bright..! 

Benning has done a great job with what he was given, which was nothing. Back in 2012-2013 we had a frighteningly low amount of quality prospects in our system. Mike Gillis had mortgaged the future in his failed attempt to win a cup.

I honestly didn't think the team could have turned around in just 5 years, to now competing for a playoff spot with a totally different roster. If we can manage to work Hughes and Juolevi into our defense next year, I think the rebuild will be complete.

22 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Yeah, it sucks we don't have guys like Horvat, Petterson , Boeser, Virtanen, Hughes, Demko, Woo, Madden, DiPietro, Juolevi .  Why did he have to throw all of that away in a futile attempt to make the playoffs.

Funny how you forgot to mention a few players.  Let's see...  Gagne, Loui, Del Zotto, Prust, Sbisa, Bonino, Vey, Clendening, Miller, Vrbata, Bartkowski, Cracknell, Schaller, Beagle, and about a dozen others.  

You also forgot to mention all those draft picks Benning threw away in order to chase an insane dream of making the playoffs (when we were the worst team in the league).

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, WalkWithElias40 said:

So excited about this team, Jim Benning better than Chiarelli 100% the canucks got the right guy for GM.. Benning has done an outstanding job, credit to him for taking the heat from us fans from early on , but his drafting has the fans excited for the future and now the future is putting a great show for us this year ! 

It would be an added bonus if these young players made the playoffs, and honestly us fans should not be mad if we get swept, this will be another learning curve for our young players. future is bright..! 

I don't think they would be swept. Even if they missed the play-offs. Can even see them winning a round and struggling next year because of it!

20 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Not sure how you can say that with a lottery system

Flyers moved up from 13th to 2nd pick that year

Canucks have had really good luck. if we won the lottery we wouldn't have EP. As I said before he even played. And I stand behind Hughes as 2nd value at 7th!

22 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Canucks have had really good luck. if we won the lottery we wouldn't have EP. As I said before he even played. And I stand behind Hughes as 2nd value at 7th!

It was mentioned  that had we drafted Matt Tkachuk that he would have got us more points and we would not have got EP then

My point was , even if we had got a few more points, with a lottery system, who is to say we wouldn't have drafted in the same spot or higher?

Flyers moved from 13th to 2nd

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

It was mentioned  that had we drafted Matt Tkachuk that he would have got us more points and we would not have got EP then

My point was , even if we had got a few more points, with a lottery system, who is to say we wouldn't have drafted in the same spot or higher?

Flyers moved from 13th to 2nd

No Offense

But a rather pointless argument at this point...…..

7 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Funny how you forgot to mention a few players.  Let's see...  Gagne, Loui, Del Zotto, Prust, Sbisa, Bonino, Vey, Clendening, Miller, Vrbata, Bartkowski, Cracknell, Schaller, Beagle, and about a dozen others.  

You also forgot to mention all those draft picks Benning threw away in order to chase an insane dream of making the playoffs (when we were the worst team in the league).

And yet out prospect pool looks deeper than I've ever seen it. I'll take some Eriksson and Del Zotto along the way, you have to.  Not every trade or signing works out, but even those guys and the other ones you mentioned served a purpose. Hindsight is 20/20. 

I for one am very happy with the team and the direction JB has taken us. I think we have acquired lots of depth regardless of what draft picks got traded and what vets weren't sold for more. There's no reason why we couldn't get a couple more good young players this summer with the picks we already have. I'd rather watch the team play better, more entertaining hockey instead of constantly selling any player with value. Tanking doesn't guarantee a cup. 

Archived