The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning interview on Sportsnet 650

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

8 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

It was mentioned  that had we drafted Matt Tkachuk that he would have got us more points and we would not have got EP then

My point was , even if we had got a few more points, with a lottery system, who is to say we wouldn't have drafted in the same spot or higher?

Flyers moved from 13th to 2nd

I got yah. That's a good point. I am 100 % against the poor sport tanking we have seen the last decade. I would love to see all teams that miss the play-offs with the same odds and do a complete draft order. that would fix the tanking!

9 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I got yah. That's a good point. I am 100 % against the poor sport tanking we have seen the last decade. I would love to see all teams that miss the play-offs with the same odds and do a complete draft order. that would fix the tanking!

How about just keep it friggin’ simple? The last team drafts first, and so on.  If a team tanks, good for them.  How often does the top guy bustaroo?  Can you say the Oilers suck?  Yakupov, Hall ... :lol::lol:

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about just keep it friggin’ simple? The last team drafts first, and so on.  If a team tanks, good for them.  How often does the top guy bustaroo?  Can you say the Oilers suck?  Yakupov, Hall ... :lol::lol:

Yakupov was a complete fail. Taylor Hall won the Hart Trophy last season so...

17 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Yakupov was a complete fail. Taylor Hall won the Hart Trophy last season so...

Hart trophy, but not for the Coilers!  :lol::lol:  can you imagine trading the 

Hart trophy winner for Larsen?  :lol::lol:  I kind of feel sorry fir the Coiler fans.  I mean they are Voiler fans yes, but (MY GOD)  they are living in EDMONTON!  :lol:

On 1/24/2019 at 1:51 PM, Alflives said:

Firstly, I wouldn’t include Jake on this list.  Jake, when playing well, impacts a game way more than these others can.  What would we expect back though, another Granlund-like player?  I like Granlund’s usefulness, but (IMO) we already have enough of his level of player.  Maybe Hutton for an upgrade at forward, but (really) what will he return?  I think this level of trade makes little to no improvement to our future Cup chances, unless we get back draft picks.  Yes, picks in the later rounds (which is the best these guys will return - excluding Virtanen) have little chance of becoming impact players, but what are the chances any guy we get in return will be?  

I am not sure Jake is untouchable.  Let's say JB has a strong chance at signing Ferland, Jake all of a sudden allows us to trade for a high end defensman.  Could very much fill a need.

That said, at this time, I wouldn't want to lose Jake without being able to fill his void left behind.

On January 23, 2019 at 5:50 PM, Winter Soldier said:

Benning has said it a million times but there will sadly there still are people who are convinced that he will sell off futures for a playoff run.

Yeah, if the team is still in the playoff picture as the trade deadline approaches, you can count on the chicken littles and the haters to be foaming at the mouth, cursing JB for all the stupid moves they imagine he will be making to gut the team he has spent years building.

I think Edler has done a great job and will be hard to replace...sometimes he does the little things you don't notice while playing hard minutes, against the best players...

Is he a #1? ….no, but he is probably the best we have, and should be kept on.....a 3 year, front end loaded contract, would be fine with me......but he is our best as of now

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think Edler has done a great job and will be hard to replace...sometimes he does the little things you don't notice while playing hard minutes, against the best players...

Is he a #1? ….no, but he is probably the best we have, and should be kept on.....a 3 year, front end loaded contract, would be fine with me......but he is our best as of now

the last half of last year and this year to date Eddy has been a Canucks fans dream come true . Aggresive,commited,seems to want it more lately. Hes playing the same number of minutes,always against the other teams top players , still relied upon as a 1st pairing guy ( where as some believe he is not). So whats going on ? Has he bought into the direction the Nucks are going, buying into "playing the right way"? Or is it a contract year? Id be over the moon if we signed him for 3-4 yrs at 5-6 mil if hes bought in and continued this tear hes on now but id be terrified to have a satisfied Eddy locked in for that term if its his retirement contract. That is the question i think each side of the fan base is asking.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:40 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-benning-trade-deadline-strategy

Couldn't find a tweet from the interview on Sportsnet but I found it here instead.

Could be a mix of Goldobin, Hutton, Stecher, Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Gaunce, Pouliot that he is alluding to.

Agree, I'd like to think the list is shorter but you may be right.  I like Stecher, Virtanen, Leivo and Motte

On 1/24/2019 at 9:36 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

It was Linden, he put the players ahead of the team, he was still too much the NHLPA president. That is why the Sedins were never asked about a TDL trade or any at all. "It would not be fair to them to tear it down", "should do what we can to give them a last shot"

Interesting comment.  I think that Benning and Linden always saw the value of being competitive down the stretch in terms of player development.  We saw it in year 1 but unfortunately, not for a few years until this year.

To your post, Linden and Benning may have been approaching the rebuild from different perspectives and then when the Sedin's surprised us and retired, I think they were seeing things Jims way.  It certainly gave me pause when Benning decided to bolster the bottom 6 to support younger players rather than the more traditional way.  I don't think many would say that it hasn't worked out.

I love Linden but I don't think that he really understood what a President does.  I had the impression that he operated more as a co-GM and was too hands on.  A President should be more of an executive and let the GM manage (execute the plan).  So now that Linden has stepped down, there are no longer too many cooks.  I really don't think that Linden would have supported the signing of Beagle, Roussel and Schaller.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:35 PM, -AJ- said:

My thoughts on what he said:

- I agree with the notion that the best thing for this team now is to feel success and get playoff experience, not lose more for a high pick.

- I'm thrilled to hear that Benning won't be mortgaging the future for a shot at the playoffs. This man gets it.

- Glad to see he's going to talk with Edler soon. I'm hoping for a new short- to mid-term contract (2-4 years)

- Interesting that he's most high on Sautner and Chatfield. I'm personally much higher on McEneny.

- Juolevi's development will definitely be stalled with this injury. He may need another year in Utica before making the NHL, which would be a disappointment.

- Kole Lind has done well in Utica lately, but was developing very slowly prior to recent games. I'm much lower on him than I used to be. Interesting to see that Jim is still hyped about him.

I agree with most if why you are saying but 1 thing.  OJ isnt definitely stalled.  That is yet to be seen.  He needed time to mature physically and has lots of conditioning/strength issues to address IE, he needs to improve both.

That doesn't happen on the ice during the season but off the ice.  There are things that OJ can work on now to improve these weaknesses that he can't do during the season.  I hope that he takes this opportunity and makes the most of it.  

IMO he IQ, skills, skating and such are and never were holding him back.  But over training has led him to ar least one injury, likely two.  Learning how to train and prevent further injuries will be of huge importance to his success.  

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

I agree with most if why you are saying but 1 thing.  OJ isnt definitely stalled.  That is yet to be seen.  He needed time to mature physically and has lots of conditioning/strength issues to address IE, he needs to improve both.

That doesn't happen on the ice during the season but off the ice.  There are things that OJ can work on now to improve these weaknesses that he can't do during the season.  I hope that he takes this opportunity and makes the most of it.  

IMO he IQ, skills, skating and such are and never were holding him back.  But over training has led him to ar least one injury, likely two.  Learning how to train and prevent further injuries will be of huge importance to his success.  

You know that year in Europe they play alot fewer games and the travel is much, much easier. He also sat out a lot of games so he had loads of time to work out.

2 knees injuries? To go with his back operation? Man he is so far behind the curve and eight ball they have to sign him to another contract next year don't they? over 3 years?

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You know that year in Europe they play alot fewer games and the travel is much, much easier. He also sat out a lot of games so he had loads of time to work out.

2 knees injuries? To go with his back operation? Man he is so far behind the curve and eight ball they have to sign him to another contract next year don't they? over 3 years?

OJ's current contract is good for 2 more years

5 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Slow down Guards, unless your a surgeon and familiar with OJ's case, you dont have clue what your talking about.  

16 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The only thing that I can see that was a bit of a red flag regarding OJ were his comments early on about not being able to get smarts by training in the gym and others like it that showed some disdain for fitness (working out in the gym to get stronger).  

Maybe he was too behind that curve and didn’t approach it properly, which in turn affected his abilty to stay healthy.    Not saying he had to be a gym rat to succeed, but it wouldn’t have hurt his chances either.   No idea what his team trainers have done for him in this regard, but I hope he takes it seriously now, both AHL and NHL athletes are far stronger than his junior counterparts that he was used to dealing with back then when he made those comments.

Watching him live it was obvious that he prefers to use his stick and positioning when engaging forwards, don’t re-call one hit in two games by him.  It sucks that he’s been under the knife this much this early, hopefully he will be back and eventually make it and make an impact.  I will say that he was figuring out how to make the transition into the AHL and he did the same the year before.  That’s a good sign that he can adapt in the NHL too.

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What dollars to Cup winning, top four, 20 plus minute D men get paid?  

Well the team won't have to deal with that, man he wasn't as good as Pouliot or Biega. I just wondered what they offer if he keeps up the current trend.

He couldn't be traded last year at the draft due to injury and it looks the same this year for both the TDL and draft. I can't see the team putting both Hughes and OJ in the line up at the same time, Benning has never had 2 rookie draft picks in the starting lineup.

Archived