The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning interview on Sportsnet 650

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

40 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Well the team won't have to deal with that, man he wasn't as good as Pouliot or Biega. I just wondered what they offer if he keeps up the current trend.

He couldn't be traded last year at the draft due to injury and it looks the same this year for both the TDL and draft. I can't see the team putting both Hughes and OJ in the line up at the same time, Benning has never had 2 rookie draft picks in the starting lineup.

You need to revise your hfboards book O history. McCann and Virtanen. If you wanna get picky you can add Tryamkin.  2 of the three suited up on the same roster numerous times. Near the end of the season (15-16) all three suited up. Example March 27 2016 vs Chicago. 

9 minutes ago, Darius said:

You need to revise your hfboards book O history. McCann and Virtanen. If you wanna get picky you can add Tryamkin.  2 of the three suited up on the same roster numerous times. Near the end of the season (15-16) all three suited up. Example March 27 2016 vs Chicago. 

Never let facts get in the way of a good HF rant ! The following is factual, so feel free to ignore/ deny/ deem unimportant !

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201603270VAN.html

On 1/24/2019 at 8:37 AM, WalkWithElias40 said:

So excited about this team, Jim Benning better than Chiarelli 100% the canucks got the right guy for GM.. Benning has done an outstanding job, credit to him for taking the heat from us fans from early on , but his drafting has the fans excited for the future and now the future is putting a great show for us this year ! 

It would be an added bonus if these young players made the playoffs, and honestly us fans should not be mad if we get swept, this will be another learning curve for our young players. future is bright..! 

Credit Linden for Getting JB

On 1/25/2019 at 9:49 PM, cory40 said:

I got yah. That's a good point. I am 100 % against the poor sport tanking we have seen the last decade. I would love to see all teams that miss the play-offs with the same odds and do a complete draft order. that would fix the tanking!

Yes and no. It would help, but for teams that are actually not good and not tanking, it would make it harder to legitimately get better. 

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Easier to shelter rookie forwards than two rookie defensemen (especially when we only have two legit top four D...one of whom is hurt alot).  With rookie Demko expected to at least backup next season, I want a more stable blueline (ie., upgrade over this season).

25 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Easier to shelter rookie forwards than two rookie defensemen (especially when we only have two legit top four D...one of whom is hurt alot).  With rookie Demko expected to at least backup next season, I want a more stable blueline (ie., upgrade over this season).

This is not related to what I was referring to. Guardian claimed that Benning has never iced 2 rookies in the starting lineup. I just wanted to point out this was false. 

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

This is not related to what I was referring to. Guardian claimed that Benning has never iced 2 rookies in the starting lineup. I just wanted to point out this was false. 

I just assumed he was talking about defenseman as the two players he mentioned were defensemen (OJ & Hughes). If my assumption was wrong, my apologies and I retract my statement.

Jet Woo will be the tough one.  Too young for the AHL so it's the NHL or back to juniors (does he really have anything more to learn there?).

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

The only thing that I can see that was a bit of a red flag regarding OJ were his comments early on about not being able to get smarts by training in the gym and others like it that showed some disdain for fitness (working out in the gym to get stronger).  

Maybe he was too behind that curve and didn’t approach it properly, which in turn affected his abilty to stay healthy.    Not saying he had to be a gym rat to succeed, but it wouldn’t have hurt his chances either.   No idea what his team trainers have done for him in this regard, but I hope he takes it seriously now, both AHL and NHL athletes are far stronger than his junior counterparts that he was used to dealing with back then when he made those comments.

Watching him live it was obvious that he prefers to use his stick and positioning when engaging forwards, don’t re-call one hit in two games by him.  It sucks that he’s been under the knife this much this early, hopefully he will be back and eventually make it and make an impact.  I will say that he was figuring out how to make the transition into the AHL and he did the same the year before.  That’s a good sign that he can adapt in the NHL too.

Good insight   

I see his off ice training as his weakness atm.  We have seen other players struggle early with conditioning and the discipline that it takes to make the jump from Jr to pro.  

This long hiatus from hockey should encourage him to fix this issue if he loves the game.  His play style is not going to morph into a physical style.  Fatigue causes mistakes.  He needs to cut down on that.  

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Good insight   

I see his off ice training as his weakness atm.  We have seen other players struggle early with conditioning and the discipline that it takes to make the jump from Jr to pro.  

This long hiatus from hockey should encourage him to fix this issue if he loves the game.  His play style is not going to morph into a physical style.  Fatigue causes mistakes.  He needs to cut down on that.  

Which part of his training do you think is weak?

14 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Which part of his training do you think is weak?

My answer to this would be his aversion to gyms, ie strength and conditioning.  Salo worked on this last season, honestly don’t know where he’s at with this but you have to wonder if he showed more dedication to that aspect of game from the outset and his body was stronger, would his injuries be as many and significant, or would they even have occurred.  Sure fit guys go down too so it’s probably not the case,  but young guys do need to spend a lot of time there to catch up to the men they end up playing against who have better strength and years of workouts and muscle memory working in their favour.

You “can’t teach hockey smarts in the gym “ , but you can’t get into nhl game shape avoiding the gym either, it’s a big part of the routine for young players, not just during the off-season either.

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

My answer to this would be his aversion to gyms, ie strength and conditioning.  Salo worked on this last season, honestly don’t know where he’s at with this but you have to wonder if he showed more dedication to that aspect of game from the outset and his body was stronger, would his injuries be as many and significant, or would they even have occurred.  Sure fit guys go down too so it’s probably not the case,  but young guys do need to spend a lot of time there to catch up to the men they end up playing against who have better strength and years of workouts and muscle memory working in their favour.

You “can’t teach hockey smarts in the gym “ , but you can’t get into nhl game shape avoiding the gym either, it’s a big part of the routine for young players, not just during the off-season either.

Absolutely! Thanks i wasn't aware there where issues off the ice as well.

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is actually fabulous news for us.  OJ is a big boy, and adding muscle building and strength training to his already excellent talents is going to make him even better.  This kid is going to be a very VERY special player in a year or two.  It’s like JB identifies the kids that are going to mature more (both physically and emotionally) after their draft years, and develops them.  Sure, there are the instant gratification guys in those drafts, but our guys will pass those others, and lead us to Cups.  

Way to go JB!  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is actually fabulous news for us.  OJ is a big boy, and adding muscle building and strength training to his already excellent talents is going to make him even better.  This kid is going to be a very VERY special player in a year or two.  It’s like JB identifies the kids that are going to mature more (both physically and emotionally) after their draft years, and develops them.  Sure, there are the instant gratification guys in those drafts, but our guys will pass those others, and lead us to Cups.  

Way to go JB!  

Thanks Alf, didn’t mean to go all negative on this, and you see the bright side often enough to spread some positivity.  And it’s true, you can’t teach the type of smarts OJ has and he’s proud enough or confident enough to tell the world.   He does have very good size for a defenseman given that the league is trending towards Ghost, McAvoy, Krug  (who’s like Camaralli but on defense or a fire hydrant on skates) and our very own Hughes at 5’8 3/4 but you know 5’11” at the draft because we are all hoping he keeps growing.    Add some muscle to his frame and he won’t be that easy to handle, his stickwork is already elite.  Nice to have the option to pin an opponent and go into the corners without worrying.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:44 AM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Funny how you forgot to mention a few players.  Let's see...  Gagne, Loui, Del Zotto, Prust, Sbisa, Bonino, Vey, Clendening, Miller, Vrbata, Bartkowski, Cracknell, Schaller, Beagle, and about a dozen others.  

You also forgot to mention all those draft picks Benning threw away in order to chase an insane dream of making the playoffs (when we were the worst team in the league).

The bolded were all free agent signings, many of them meant as placeholders or vets to help teach the kids. That cannot be considered "mortgaging the future"  except by someone pushing a false narrative of Benning's mistakes. Besides, what were Benning's worst 2 moves? Linden Vey and Errickson? Whichever 2 you choose they are vastly overshadowed by his 2 best moves- Boeser and Pettersson. 

5 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

The bolded were all free agent signings, many of them meant as placeholders or vets to help teach the kids. That cannot be considered "mortgaging the future"  except by someone pushing a false narrative of Benning's mistakes. Besides, what were Benning's worst 2 moves? Linden Vey and Errickson? Whichever 2 you choose they are vastly overshadowed by his 2 best moves- Boeser and Pettersson. 

Absolutely.  And I hate it when I read some misdirected poster mention “ all the picks he threw away”.  He sent two seconds in trades, one that became Bear, the other Vey, and some late rounders that usually involved picks coming back our way.  And nobody mentions the picks we got for Torts (2nd) or Bieksa.   It’s a fools errand IMO, anyone past maybe a 3rd rounder rarely makes the show let alone becomes an impact player.   Let it go already.

Archived