The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Carolina Hurricanes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 23, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, BrazilianCanuck said:

The thing that threw me off is that after Roussel was thrown off, they started taking liberties. The goalie held Petey, Svechnikov poked at Pouliot and finally the hit on Gudbranson. Man, that just makes me really angry.

Maybe the Canucks should be the aggressors then, rather than retaliators. They have always wanted to play without getting another team upset. Get out and hit instead of waiting. Once again even on a blow out no fight back. Guddy tries to chase his down, gets grabbed from behind, and Tanev just holds. I mean come on, your blown out at home, getting cheap shots on you and NOTHING?? very Sad - Guys planning the vacation, Hurricane players get one to and don't have any loyalty to entertain the Canuck fans, but they played hockey. What will the the excuse be now, we weren't getting the 2 points, push comes to shove , this team is weak, we better hope they don't make the playoffs

Nice to see Poulliot get benched for a bit.  Longer woulda been more deserving, but that also punishes the other D.

Just fugly.  Thought the boys had woken up after Neiderpuke's first goal (didn't he dive too to draw that call?), popping two quick ones, but that was some awful D by 2 of 3 pairings after that beautiful goal.

Just now, Kragar said:

Nice to see Poulliot get benched for a bit.  Longer woulda been more deserving, but that also punishes the other D.

Just fugly.  Thought the boys had woken up after Neiderpuke's first goal (didn't he dive too to draw that call?), popping two quick ones, but that was some awful D by 2 of 3 pairings after that beautiful goal.

There's no part of me that sees Pouliot playing the next game, but you're right that benching him tonight would have taxed the rest of the guys even more. Biega should be dusting his blades off, or who knows, maybe we'll see a call-up for 3-4 games.

23 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Naw My gf even noticed tonight that the Canucks let teams take shots at him. I think if him as a 19 year old kid and no one seems to care about his personal health or well being around here. We want him scoring as many flashy goals as possible before someone ends his career. It’s not fair to him as a person. We don’t treat him right... he’s too good for us :( 

Should have sent Gino out there.

I think the boys are mentally drained. Let's look at the positives.

- We had what was it? a 13 game losing streak and are 1 pt out of a playoff spot - means they really fought hard to get back into it

- We had the worst rash of injuries we've see in years and are only 1 pt out of a playoff spot

- The kids are showing they are going to be pretty damn good, are we 'done' yet, no

- Edler having a resurgent year

- Marky proving he can be a number 1

- Demko is up and now gets his shot

The boys have been through a very trying physical and mental first 1/2 and have shown heart, character and a desire to get better. I think they are exhausted and this break couldn't have come at a better time. Think about all those road games that they've played already this year, the travel etc.

Rest up, lets make a run, sign Quinn in March, and let's see where we end up. They've been entertaining most nights and are in a position no one expected.

Just now, 40Dangles said:

I think the boys are mentally drained. Let's look at the positives.

- We had what was is, a 13 game losing streak and are 1 pt out of a playoff spot

- We had the worst rash of injuries we've see in years and are only 1 pt out of a playoff spot

- The kids are showing they are going to be pretty damn good, are we 'done' yet, no

- Edler having a resurgent year

- Marky proving he can be a number 1

- Demko is up and now gets his shot

The boys have been through a very trying physical and mental first 1/2 and have shown heart, character and a desire to get better. I think they are exhausted and this break couldn't have come at a better time. Think about all those road games that they've played already this year, the travel etc.

Rest up, lets make a run, sign Quinn in March, and let's see where we end up. They've been entertaining most nights and are in a position no one expected.

I'm against Hughes signing this year due to the expansion draft. Wait til next year it's much better for the team imo. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Oh give me a break he ran straight for Faulk and the linesman. 

Running from Gudbranson was the fastest he skated all game. 

Yup, and Guddy let them get in the way.

Do you think if that had've been a guy like Odjik that Faulk would've stopped him? Gino would've beat down Faulk, and continued after Svechnikov. 

He would've St. Louis'd their asses.

I miss the glory days of hockey.

Just now, komodo0921 said:

Yup, and Guddy let them get in the way.

Do you think if that had've been a guy like Odjik that Faulk would've stopped him? Gino would've beat down Faulk, and continued after Svechnikov. 

He would've St. Louis'd their asses.

I miss the glory days of hockey.

If it was Odjick today the same thing would have happened. Games changed from 25 years ago. 

Sadly the league seems to prefer protecting weasels over anyone else. It ended Neely and  Savards career. How many star players have to have their careers ended before the league steps up and protects the players people pay to see instead of protecting gutless weasels like Neiderreiter and Matheson etc. 

I liked Roussel's little thing at the end.  14 minutes though?

Come on, refs.. a little life in the game and you throw the book at him?

No to mention.  YOU MISSED ONE there.  A bad one.  So you guys need a third, maybe 4th to get those ones? 

How about one ref on the ice.  And one off.  The one off gets to call dives.  He gets to be the faceless dick.  Just call the game on the ice as its meant to be called.  Sticks touching another player = penalty. Where = the penalty.  Its pretty simple.  Start calling Interference on D that stand there for 5 seconds shadowing anyone that dares "take his lane".  I am pretty sure there are no freaking penalties based on where lanes are in the book. Is there?  Someone make me look dumb here.  Call the game right.  It worked in 2006.  Best hockey, for half a season, in 20 years prior.  Go back to it. And come to the 21st century with your reffing technology. Use electronics. have a team of guys making sure crap is right when its called.  being right is important in life.  Why is it not in your line of work?  

Just now, Green Building said:

Hughes will be exempt if the Vegas rules apply. 

Not necessarily - depends if 2018/19 will count as a pro year or not.  2019/20 and 2020/21 will and only players with 2 pro-years or less are exempt.  

Well, lack of effort and sloppiness in their own zone finally caught up to the Canucks.

They do need this Allstar break... need some serious coaching on managing the puck in their own zone.

Gudbranson a -3, Pouliot a -2.... although I would blame Pouliot more for the problems... he should ride the pine for two games... put in the Bulldog.  At least you know you'll get an honest effort.  Pouliot maybe is feeling complacent after Del Zotto's departure.

A bad game from Markstrom... one of the few in the last two months... so I can forgive that.

He'll get an opportunity to reset during the break, so probably will recover.

Bad game from Virtanen... maybe he does need to sit and watch for a game... he is not hitting, and when he is not hitting, his game is not energized and he is nowhere.

File and forget...  at least we are not the Oilers... man is that team scr*wed.

Archived