The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Building our future Defense

Hi All

So as of today, we have 2 young defensemen, with high pedigree, with another 3 or 4 that are quite possibly top 4 candidates (with question marks)

In Saying that......I would like to see if there is any lateral moves of prospects we could do...……...

As of today.....I would say our list looks something like this

#1. Hughes...………...slated to be a #1 or #2 defenseman...……..should be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft

#2. Juolevi...………….up side to be a #2 or #3 defenseman...…...he will be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft

#3. Woo...…………….Playing Juniors, possibly a $3 or #4 defenseman...….he will be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft

#4. Brisebois...……….possible #3 or #4 defenseman, more likely a #5 or #6...…….he will be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft

#5. Sauntner…………possibly a #5, 6 or 7...……………..eligible for the Seattle expansion draft

#6. Chatfield...……….Long shot

#7. McEneny...………Long shot

#8. Rathbone...………Looking good in the NCAA, but time will tell, he will not be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft

So, summarizing quickly...…..we are short on long term defensive depth

Now looking at Butch's list of top 175 NHL affiliated players not playing in the NHL (updated January 18, 2019) there are some interesting candidates for a lateral trade

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/butchs-list-of-the-top-175-drafted-prospects.2591031/

The following defensive prospects are ranked in these positions, that I think could be candidates………….

#33 ............Kale Clague………LA...………...6'0"...…....177 lbs......LHD...….AHL 

#41...……...Josh Brook ……….MTL....……..6'1"...…....192 lbs...…RHD…...Juniors

#43...……...Nic Hague...……...VGS...…..….6'6"...….....215 lbs...…LHD…...AHL

#46...……...Phillip Myers....…...PHI...……....6'5"...….....202 lbs...…RHD…...AHL

#51...……...Cal Foote...………..WSH...….....6'4".....…...221 lbs......RHD.......AHL

#76...……...Dante Fabbro……..NSH...……...6'1".....…..193 lbs...…RHD...….NCAA

Canuck Candidates

#41 to #60......….Nic Goldobin  (I contacted Butch and asked his value)

#52...…………....Jonathon Dahlen

#83...………........Tyler Maden

Now, we have prospects that are in the middle of these candidates, but I am not keen on moving any of them 

(#40 Adam Gaudette, Olli Juolevi, or Jet Woo)….the first one Gaudette being one of my favorites, and Juolevi and Woo because it would be counter

productive to what we are trying to achieve.

All of the Candidates listed from #33 to #76 are strong, and all are favorites of their respective teams, none are going to be easy to pry from their

organizations, but all would strengthen our defensive prospect pool. I believe it is easier to get forward Wings, than any defensive prospect, therefore

I have far less affection for our 3 listed prospects.

I would also Note that Butch's list is only from a non-professional, but he has been doing it for awhile, and has a pretty strong opinion, on all prospects if you ask.

I am personally inclined to go after either Fabbro or Myers, as both parent clubs are strong in those positions, and could use the help in the forward positions.......

Thoughts?

PS......Really like Josh Brook's as well, and of the 3 I listed, Myers is the 1 that would need to be protected.......

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Did you not see his Bobby Orr highlight-reel pass in the Buffalo game??  That must represent how his season's going so far, amirite?

Hey buddy....if your going to come in here and try to derail a thread.....go back to HF Boards

Try showing a little respect!

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi All

So as of today, we have 2 young defensemen, with high pedigree, with another 3 or 4 that are quite possibly top 4 candidates (with question marks)

In Saying that......I would like to see if there is any lateral moves of prospects we could do...……...

As of today.....I would say our list looks something like this

#1. Hughes...………...slated to be a #1 or #2 defenseman...……..should be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft

#2. Juolevi...………….up side to be a #2 or #3 defenseman...…...he will be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft

#3. Woo...…………….Playing Juniors, possibly a $3 or #4 defenseman...….he will be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft

#4. Brisebois...……….possible #3 or #4 defenseman, more likely a #5 or #6...…….he will be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft

#5. Sauntner…………possibly a #5, 6 or 7...……………..eligible for the Seattle expansion draft

#6. Chatfield...……….Long shot

#7. McEneny...………Long shot

#8. Rathbone...………Looking good in the NCAA, but time will tell, he will not be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft

So, summarizing quickly...…..we are short on long term defensive depth

Now looking at Butch's list of top 175 NHL affiliated players not playing in the NHL (updated January 18, 2019) there are some interesting candidates for a lateral trade

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/butchs-list-of-the-top-175-drafted-prospects.2591031/

The following defensive prospects are ranked in these positions, that I think could be candidates………….

#33 ............Kale Clague………LA...………...6'0"...…....177 lbs......LHD...….AHL 

#41...……...Josh Brook ……….MTL....……..6'1"...…....192 lbs...…RHD…...Juniors

#43...……...Nic Hague...……...VGS...…..….6'6"...….....215 lbs...…LHD…...AHL

#46...……...Phillip Myers....…...PHI...……....6'5"...….....202 lbs...…RHD…...AHL

#51...……...Cal Foote...………..WSH...….....6'4".....…...221 lbs......RHD.......AHL

#76...……...Dante Fabbro……..NSH...……...6'1".....…..193 lbs...…RHD...….NCAA

Canuck Candidates

#41 to #60......….Nic Goldobin  (I contacted Butch and asked his value)

#52...…………....Jonathon Dahlen

#83...………........Tyler Maden

Now, we have prospects that are in the middle of these candidates, but I am not keen on moving any of them 

(#40 Adam Gaudette, Olli Juolevi, or Jet Woo)….the first one Gaudette being one of my favorites, and Juolevi and Woo because it would be counter

productive to what we are trying to achieve.

All of the Candidates listed from #33 to #76 are strong, and all are favorites of their respective teams, none are going to be easy to pry from their

organizations, but all would strengthen our defensive prospect pool. I believe it is easier to get forward Wings, than any defensive prospect, therefore

I have far less affection for our 3 listed prospects.

I would also Note that Butch's list is only from a non-professional, but he has been doing it for awhile, and has a pretty strong opinion, on all prospects if you ask.

I am personally inclined to go after either Fabbro or Myers, as both parent clubs are strong in those positions, and could use the help in the forward positions.......

Thoughts?

PS......Really like Josh Brook's as well, and of the 3 I listed, Myers is the 1 that would need to be protected.......

Maybe we could swap one of Lind or JG for one of these guys.    It’d be hard to lose either of them given they both have promise for different reasons, and still are pretty raw but have potential, but we do have quite a few more B level forward prospects then we do defenseman.   Trade Goldobin for one and another late pick if possible, and send someone looking for ice time at Utica too (which would help them get others playing).   

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe we could swap one of Lind or JG for one of these guys.    It’d be hard to lose either of them given they both have promise for different reasons, and still are pretty raw but have potential, but we do have quite a few more B level forward prospects then we do defenseman.   Trade Goldobin for one and another late pick if possible, and send someone looking for ice time at Utica too (which would help them get others playing).   

Trouble is JG and Lind are not even in the rear view mirror of these guys...…..

It will probably take Goldy, Dahlen or Madden to snag a highly ranked Dman....

Think that they are all ranked about the same as Goldy and Dahlen

But we are thinking that maybe our 2 are a little small as wingers for our team

so, maybe the trading team feels the same.....I don't imagine that too many of the teams

really want to part with these guys......might take a little over payment

I don't know????

I'm not sure we have to wheel and deal as much as we have to fix our blue-line internally.

The 2018 draft really gave netted us two great defenders in Hughes and Woo.

We're all pretty certain Hughes is a lock to be here next season, barring catastrophe but I'm particularly impressed with Woo's performance ith Moose Jaw. He's proving he could be the real deal. It's really easy to see him matched up with Hughes. He's already got the size. Admittedly, I haven't watched him play, but his stats speak volumes. Like Horvat, he may be a talent that seems wasted in the CHL. Bo made it to the NHL right out of the gate but with Hughes looking to be a lock to be in the line-up next season, I can't see two rookies on our blue-line. I wonder if a European pro league might be an option (SHL or Liiga).

As stated above, I don't see any way that Hughes isn't in the line-up next year. His dynamic play from the backend should give the opposition fits, trying to cover him and Petey at the same time.

Juolevi was another who was looking to be moving in the right direction until injury, once again, derailed him. But a good training camp could still see him debut in the NHL next season.

Stetcher has proven that size doesn't matter and small defensemen can play the dzone effectively. I'm fairly confident he'll hit 25 pnts this season which would be a great achievement to cap off what, imo, has been his best season so far. I definitely think he's worth a raise this off-season.

Hutton, much like Stetcher, has really upped his game this year. Unfortunately, he's been locked in a pairing with Guddy for a large part of the season which has drug his defensive stats down.

Erik Gudbranson. Ugh. I'm hoping to see him waived and bought out if nobody else wants him. He's been a disaster. JB was willing to bury Gagne in the A so maybe he'll be smart enough to see this one for what it is. A big ass mistake.

What does Edler expect in a new contract? Too rich, too long or immovable and I hope JB's wise enough to move on. But, let's face it; It's JB I'm talking about here.

Derrick Pouliot....That's it.

If JB's willing to do what must be done, I could see next year's defense looking something like:

Edler               Hutton

Hughes           Tanev

Juolevi             Stetcher 

Biega

We will have to be patient with some of our young D- men just coming into the NHL,we certainly don't want to have them injured or traumatized right off the get go .

However defense wins championships and we really need to Draft hard on that horse of a defense man,and just maybe we hit on a legit NORRIS TROPHY WINNER.

WE HAVE NEVER HAD ONE AND MOST CUP WINNERS HAVE HAD AN ABUNDANCE.OF GREAT DEFENSE MEN.

So EITHER big trades or draft and hope,to get our champion defense men.

HERE'S TO A CANUCKS CUP!

Don't really care where we get the help from either FA, trade or draft. Right now we have 2 legit top 4: Edler ,Tanev 5/6 in : Gudbranson, Hutton and the rest 7/8 dmen : Puoliot,Stecher and Biega.

Hopefully Joulevi and Hughes get into one of the top 4 positions next year and ideally Edler/Tanev transition down to the 5/8 as we get more depth on the back end.

I really think we need an upgrade to Gudbranson who can play big minutes and can skate. Tryamkin would be nice and would fit in nicely in the top 4.

Ideally a player like this who could play alongside Hughes would shore up our top 4 in the short term until other players develop or we acquire more help by other means.

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

If he can fix his skating...I like his size and net presence 

How are his passing skills? Play making? Obviously I don't know much about him.

I would like to think he can improve his skating enough. He wont need to be blazing fast. He is incredibly strong for a young man, has a very good shot and hand eye.  He could be a monster net front for our PP. I doubt he becomes a high minute fwd but he can be a game changer in limited minutes in the right situations. He has a skillset this team is woefully lacking. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Building our future Defense

Archived