The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jake Muzzin to Maple Leafs for Carl Grundstrom, Sean Durzi's rights, 1st-round pick

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Short of maybe PIT, they were all better than TOR's D. Even with Muzzin.

And as good as the Leafs forwards are (and they are), I'd take Crosby/Malkin over their forward group any day.

And none of this addresses your comments on their 'completeness'.

By completeness, I'm talking about how they're built in a way that they are definitely a cup candidate.  Anyways, we'll see who gets to come back in here and gloat come June.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:28 AM, HKSR said:

I said in a previous post that there's 4 or 5 teams that would compete with the Leafs in the playoffs.  Tampa, Wash, Boston are all on that list.  NYI won't.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them begin to struggle down the stretch as the talent on other teams start to work as hard as they are right now.  

It's easy to be skeptical about teams that are relatively unproven - ie relative to their peers like Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa - and play a fool's game trying to predict their performance down the stretch = 'err I think they'll faulter' - but lots of people played that tune last year, waiting for Vegas to collapse - thinking they could read them as a paper team....I'm gonna wait on reality.

For me this is simply about comments like laughing at Mayfield and Pulock - which I can't take seriously when I look at them relative to Leaf  blueline depth.

The Isles are a pretty balanced team - with a good bottom six, reasonable scoring talent, and a blueline that has arguably better players in the 5,6,7,8 spots than the Leafs boast. 

Pulock, Hickey, Leddy, Mayfield, Boychuk, Pelech, Toews, Sbisa

Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Demott. Ozhiganov, Marincin and now Muzzin.  Without Muzzin, it's hard to like that Leafs blueline, period.  And even with him it's hard to pretend there's separation there.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's easy to be skeptical about teams that are relatively unproven - ie relative to their peers like Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa - and play a fool's game trying to predict their performance down the stretch = 'err I think they'll faulter' - but lots of people played that tune last year, waiting for Vegas to collapse - thinking they could read them as a paper team....I'm gonna wait on reality.

For me this is simply about comments like laughing at Mayfield and Pulock - which I can't take seriously when I look at them relative to Leaf  blueline depth.

The Isles are a pretty balanced team - with a good bottom six, reasonable scoring talent, and a blueline that has arguably better players in the 5,6,7,8 spots than the Leafs boast. 

Pulock, Hickey, Leddy, Mayfield, Boychuk, Pelech, Toews, Sbisa

Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Demott. Ozhiganov, Marincin and now Muzzin.  Without Muzzin, it's hard to like that Leafs blueline, period.  And even with him it's hard to pretend there's separation there.

Say what you want.  Let's wait and see.  IMO, the NYI are playing over their limits right now.  The Leafs haven't been playing at their best yet.

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Leafs haven't been playing at their best yet.

We've been hearing this one for a while now.

Actually though, they shot out of the gates this year when teams/games aren't as tight and you can score your way through your lack of depth.

That won't be so easy as the stretch run approaches - or in the playoffs.

And therefore they finally made the kind of move they've been needing to for quite some time.

Their blueline depth still isn't impressive and could stand another move like this.  They're one injury from being another one-and-done in the playoffs.

If you're going to go out and get a Muzzin, you may as well do what it takes to add the RHD they need.  A Gardiner Zaitsev second pairing is still one that they should look to upgrade - although that won't be easy with Zaitsev's albatross in the way.   Can they win with this group?   Of course - there's a lot of parity and things happen in the playoffs - but does Muzzin alone complete them as a contender build?   Not necessarily if you look realistically at their peers.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

We've been hearing this one for a while now.

Actually though, they shot out of the gates this year when teams/games aren't as tight and you can score your way through your lack of depth.

That won't be so easy as the stretch run approaches - or in the playoffs.

And therefore they finally made the kind of move they've been needing to for quite some time.

Their blueline depth still isn't impressive and could stand another move like this.  They're one injury from being another one-and-done in the playoffs.

If you're going to go out and get a Muzzin, you may as well do what it takes to add the RHD they need.  A Gardiner Zaitsev second pairing is still one that they should look to upgrade - although that won't be easy with Zaitsev's albatross in the way.   Can they win with this group?   Of course - there's a lot of parity and things happen in the playoffs - but does Muzzin alone complete them as a contender build?   Not necessarily if you look realistically at their peers.

Again, you can spout all you want.  Let's watch what happens.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lots of prognosticating going on ! Sooo.....one of two things will occur. #1) you're spot on and will be back here thumping your chest and throwing poop every which way, or #2) you're wrong, in which case you'll quietly retire to the dark recesses and hope no-one remembers your alpha rant. Either way....zzzzzzzz

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Lots of prognosticating going on ! Sooo.....one of two things will occur. #1) you're spot on and will be back here thumping your chest and throwing poop every which way, or #2) you're wrong, in which case you'll quietly retire to the dark recesses and hope no-one remembers your alpha rant. Either way....zzzzzzzz

Nope I'll come back and eat crow.  That's a promise.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, HKSR said:

Let's just wait and see.  I've seen Hickey and Leddy in playoff games... NYI has no chance of moving past the 1st round.  Quote me on it.

For the players in the locker room's sake, I hope you're wrong. They've been jerked around for a while now but you have to admire how they've come together as a unit this year.

It seems like NYI has been knocking on the door for at least 5 years now but for whatever reason they just haven't been able to take the next step. I hope they surprise some people and win a round or two this year. Their goaltending has been phenomenal.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

For the players in the locker room's sake, I hope you're wrong. They've been jerked around for a while now but you have to admire how they've come together as a unit this year.

It seems like NYI has been knocking on the door for at least 5 years now but for whatever reason they just haven't been able to take the next step. I hope they surprise some people and win a round or two this year. Their goaltending has been phenomenal.

For their sake, and the fact Tavares bailed on them, I hope they make a run... I have my doubts tho.  Like you said, goaltending has been phenomenal... How long can they keep it up??

• Cheers 1

On 1/30/2019 at 10:53 AM, HKSR said:

3 elite forwards - Matthews, Marner, Tavares

A top offensive defenceman - Reilly

A very good checking centre - Kadri

And now a proven quality defenceman in Muzzin

A winning coach - Babcock

So 'not' a chance because why?  Because they're the Leafs?  I'm a die hard Canucks fan, but I also see what the Leafs have going for them... They have a legitimate shot at the Cup if they stay healthy.

You got it because they are the leafs and I have been laughing at them for 50+years

• 5 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 1:12 PM, HKSR said:

Say what you want.  Let's wait and see.  IMO, the NYI are playing over their limits right now.  The Leafs haven't been playing at their best yet.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:02 PM, HKSR said:

We waited, we saw.  Doubled-up on the deja vu, now three straight years.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, HKSR said:

Nope I'll come back and eat crow.  That's a promise.  

<_<

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

We waited, we saw.  Doubled-up on the deja vu, now three straight years.

<_<

Lol I'll eat half the crow.  If the Leafs won game 7 against the Bruins, many felt they would have got pretty far.  The Isles didn't fair much better either.  Did you want the other half of the crow? ::D

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, HKSR said:

Lol I'll eat half the crow.  If the Leafs won game 7 against the Bruins, many felt they would have got pretty far.  The Isles didn't fair much better either.  Did you want the other half of the crow? ::D

Nah, crow wasn't for me but for the others to whom you offered; they can decide ;) 

• Cheers 1