The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jake Muzzin to Maple Leafs for Carl Grundstrom, Sean Durzi's rights, 1st-round pick

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Playing a guy in his non natural position when it matters most... makes sense...:huh:

I still think they'll go after a RD no matter what they're plan is. Plus even with him on RD they're still trash back there. 

Reilly-Tanev (or Pesce, Faulk etc)

Muzzin-Hainsey

Gardiner-Zaitsev

That would be a good defensive group going into the playoffs compared to what they currently have.

We ran Edler-Erhoff and that worked out very nicely. Just sayin'.

• Cheers 1

Decent pick up for the Leafs, not a bad move for the Kings although they coulda gotten a bit more imo. Gonna be a later first but they've gotta do something to get higher end youth in their system.

Could be good for the Canucks too, that's a D off the table. Assuming they decide to move a D that is.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Decent pick up for the Leafs, not a bad move for the Kings although they coulda gotten a bit more imo. Gonna be a later first but they've gotta do something to get higher end youth in their system.

Could be good for the Canucks too, that's a D off the table. Assuming they decide to move a D that is.

IF Vancouver were to get that same package for Edler or Tanev I think they would take it for Edler in a heartbeat and Tanev in three.    

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Playing with DD helps....

His 5 on 5 numbers are better than Poughty's.

Meaning he's actually more effective without DD.

DD feasts on the powerplay - literally all 5 of his goals are on the man advantage and 10 of his 22 assists - more than half his production on the man advantage.

At 5 on 5 Doughty's on ice goals for is 1.7 per 60 (anemic), goals against is 2.4.   Muzzin is 2.8 and 2.0.

DD's corsi is 48.1% with 48.2% ozone starts.  Muzzins are 50.5 corsi with 43% ozone starts.

Muzzin also leads that team in hits and blocks....

I like the move for the Leafs = long overdue but better late than never.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

The good thing is this essentially sets the market for D. If Muzzin nets a first and two solid prospects we can likely get a decent return on Tanev or Edler if management does in fact pull the trigger on moving them.

It sets the bar in a sense but at the same time thats one less team in demand for a dman and so the highest price may hve already been paid on this deal.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

IF Vancouver were to get that same package for Edler or Tanev I think they would take it for Edler in a heartbeat and Tanev in three.    

Agreed, though I don't think Edler will go anywhere. I'll be kinda surprised if Tanev doesn't though. This next month is gonna be interesting to follow.

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Muzzin has yet to hit thirty and is not an expiring contract like Edler is.  Not really comparables. 

And this is a late 1st with 20-30% odds of being a decent NHL asset, with a couple B prospects.  Not exactly a winfall for L.A. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, it does - it gets you traded for a first round pick plus extras.    It also gets you the honour of being a topic on Leaf boards when you don't magically help them win the cup and during the draft this summer the Canada sports networks don't know what to talk about until the second round.    Hoping now that Leafs move up in the draft dramatically and the pick is a sleeper who gets 30 goals for LA out of the gate.

Wow, growing up in the shadow of their dominance of all things media sure has me anti-Leaf.    Hope to never change.   :)

I can't agree with you at all here.

First, this is exactly the kind of deal the Leafs needed to make.

I'm surprised they managed to upgrade their blueline this signficantly without moving one of their better assets - this is volume of relative longshots they've given up.

I won't be surprised if the Leafs don't "dramatically move up in the draft".  

This is one of a few key moves that could rebalance their lineup nicely - without having had to spend assets most of us thought they'd have to put on the table.

I think it's a win for them = and if they manage another move like this I won't be counting them out.

They just have to hope this doesn't poke the Lightning.

• Cheers 1

1.  Decent trade for the leafs, but not nearly enough.

2.  That cap hit puts them in further trouble, Gardiner is certainly gone now.  That is addition by subtraction and you don't patch holes by creating more

3.  With that cap issue it puts further emphasis on the likelihood of Marner/Matthews/Nylander being moved before Marleaus contract is up.  Can't afford all of them AND Muzzins cap

4.  Muzzin is a decent 2-3-4 but really we've seen what happens when he's not paired with a gifted defensive partner.  He's good with a quality defenseman.  No question, but we've also seen him struggle with less defensive groupings.  His skating is also good, but not great which puts him at a potential disadvantage in the faster skating east.

All in all people are worried about what LA got, but LA did quite well in their return if they can retain Durzi and a 1st round pick is a 1st round pick.  

Finally, no GMJB did not miss out on anything,  the worst thing he could do is react and just trade assets for the sake of trading assets.  This team is currently IN the playoffs so trading Tanev makes no sense, like at all.  Trading Edler makes no sense right now at all.  The next 4 weeks will possibly tell a different story but for right now the Canucks missed out on nothing.

Will be very VERY interesting to see the Leafs and wunderkind Dubas manage yet more cap and try to retain what they have without giving up more essential assets 

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2