The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Jake Muzzin to Maple Leafs for Carl Grundstrom, Sean Durzi's rights, 1st-round pick

22 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Sorry but do you actually think this team will beat any of the other playoff teams if we do make it?

I love the playoffs.  But I also like winning in the playoffs.  This team isnt built to win or go deep into the playoffs.  In 1-2 years that's when our window opens.  Trade our 2 best chips and add more young guys to our core.

As it stands right now,  this team will get bounced in the 1st round,  I'd rather keep building on what we have.

I'd rather do both if we can.. 

there's still value in just making the playoffs, even if only 4 games.  I just don't want to sacrifice anything to get there. 

I'd say our D is horrible without Ed and /or Tan, but if someone is willing to overpay, bring it on.. especially if Eddie comes back.. 

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see what the Leafs can do with the Horton contract next year. Thats $5.3M in cap space they must offload to sign any of their expiring current players ( G Sparks, J Gardiner, A Johnsson, K Kapanen, M Marner, A Mathews) Then they still require a few more bodies on cheap deals. They no longer have this years 1st to make it enticing and from what I can see they have J Bracco, C Rosen, and maybe T Liljegren and D Timoshov as players and maybe R Sandin as a future prospect. They are going to have to get creative as they cant all fit in under the cap. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

It will be interesting to see what the Leafs can do with the Horton contract next year. Thats $5.3M in cap space they must offload to sign any of their expiring current players ( G Sparks, J Gardiner, A Johnsson, K Kapanen, M Marner, A Mathews) Then they still require a few more bodies on cheap deals. They no longer have this years 1st to make it enticing and from what I can see they have J Bracco, C Rosen, and maybe T Liljegren and D Timoshov as players and maybe R Sandin as a future prospect. They are going to have to get creative as they cant all fit in under the cap. 

They'll put him on LTIR and use the training camp formula - exceed the cap up to his 5.3M cap hit before putting him on LTIR to get back under.  Detroit uses that approach too.

7 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

They also can make trades from that supporting group that could land pretty pieces, maybe more D. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Leafs finally have one defenseman who can play defense.  They still need Tanev to babysit the rest of their pylons, but now they don't really have anything we'd want in return.

Kapanen. I know we're heavy on RW, especially because Green is being stubborn AF and not playing Leivo on the LW, but Kapanen would be a good pick up. I think he could play well with Bo so Green can continue his plot to make Jake into the best Raffi Torres ever.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, Leafs must really like Muzzin as that is a pretty hefty price to pay for a former 5th round pick who is a few weeks shy of 30 years old.   

Interesting for those who like bash Dmen and development time - Muzzin didn't really play full-time until after his fourth training camp and after four full CHL years spent 2.5 years in the AHL.      

You mean like 90% of all players who weren't drafted in the 1st round who eventually made it to the NHL? Are you suggesting that players can continue to develop beyond their 20th birthday? Preposterous. 

• Upvote 1

Browsed a few other boards, and sources.

Apparently (and this is not far from the hyperbole I just had to endure) they just got Lidstrom and Brad Park all rolled up into one super human that isn't slow, or 30, or a veteran of some of the heaviest, longest playoff series in history over the last decade.

fandom.jpg

7 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Kapanen. I know we're heavy on RW, especially because Green is being stubborn AF and not playing Leivo on the LW, but Kapanen would be a good pick up. I think he could play well with Bo so Green can continue his plot to make Jake into the best Raffi Torres ever.

I have a few very important questions:

Is Raffi already plural?

Would that be Torreser?

Torresest?

Torresified?

In context:

Even more Torreser than Raffi.

To make the Torresest Raffi in the history of Torresionification..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

If more than half our roster wasn’t out with injuries/playing hurt we would have. There’s no doubt in my mind about that. 

haha I agree, I was just being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Although I do think they still need to improve their right side if they want to win

This is a fair deal for a good two-way, all around top four defenseman with playoff experience and a year left on his deal.  He should help stabilize their defense, and by doing this early they got their man without having to up the ante closer to the TDL.  Next year they have the option to re-sign or use him as a rental and re-coup something.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ahren14 said:

Decent trade. Tanev to leafs talk is done, lol

They still need right D, to be fair.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Bye Bye Jake Gardiner.

Pretty sure he (or someone else) was gone regardless.

Great deal for Toronto, did LAK just take the first offer they got? :lol:

8 minutes ago, xereau said:

Browsed a few other boards, and sources.

Apparently (and this is not far from the hyperbole I just had to endure) they just got Lidstrom and Brad Park all rolled up into one super human that isn't slow, or 30, or a veteran of some of the heaviest, longest playoff series in history over the last decade.

fandom.jpg

Good grief. 

20 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Pretty good deal for the Leafs. I’m not sure why LA wasn’t able to acquire more. Top 4 Dmen have proven to be valuable commodities as evidenced by past trades. A late first round pick and a couple B prospects doesn’t bode well for sellers this deadline. 

I think both sides were happy just to get it done.  For TO they got their man, and got their man, and for arguably less than someone else would pay near the TDL. For LA Blake got a first and some spare parts for someone who might have only played one more season for them, and once other players get traded the buyers start to dwindle.  Fair deal for both sides.

• Upvote 1